EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was using my laptop today, I noticed that the F10 key was loose. On further inspection, it was actually detached from the base of the key. I've never encountered a keyboard issue before, but I've never had a laptop before getting this one to replace a fried 9 year old desktop four months ago. My wife claims that it happened "a while ago", but didn't want me to become annoyed, so she never informed me.

Does anyone have any insight into reattaching the top of the key to the keyboard? How do I know if it is broken or simply dislodged? Also, if necessary, is it expensive to have the Geek Squad repair it (I didn't get the extended warranty or Geek Squad contract when I purchased the laptop since I've never had any computer issues in the past)?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Youtube it and replace it yourself. I have replaced a couple keyboards and found they were around $30.00 on average on the ones I had replaced.

·
Registered
194 Posts
They are actually kinda flexible. I usually just pry them off with my fingers and pull it out of it's (base) locking tab when I trying to remove debris stuck underneath. To re-attach it, I just simply press it over the tab. There should be a locking tab that grabs the keys in place and you hear a clicking sound when you do.

I don't expect it to be expensive at all. But I'm not sure since I have not had the same kind of repair done.
I have replaced an entire keyboard several times myself which costs ~$30-40 on ebay.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There seems to be no way to make the black key top surface click back onto the rest of the key area on the keyboard. ???

·
Registered
194 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
There seems to be no way to make the black key top surface click back onto the rest of the key area on the keyboard. ???
Did you lose the locking tab underneath the black top surface key? Or it may still be there, but somehow broken?

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I know at work a coworker laid her laptop on top of mine and two keys came off. The help desk replaced the entire keyboard, but the replacement part was cheap and it happened again, twice. Just seems like the days of quality built thinkpads made by IBM are long, long, gone. They still cost 2.5k, but are junk when compared to the 90's.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kram said:
Did you lose the locking tab underneath the black top surface key? Or it may still be there, but somehow broken?
??? What does the locking tab look like?

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Bummer about that. :eek:hno:

On my husband's previous Toshiba laptop he had at least 4 keys come off and were lost. Although....they were removed because of our dogs jumping up on the sofa next to him and their paws/nails hitting the keyboard. I told him he should have taught them to type without digging into the keys. :happy:

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
kram said:
It looks like this:
What does the back of the key button look like? I have popped tons of buttons off of my wife's laptop due to coake syndrome (thanks to our cat). You should be able to reattach the key button to the clear white "X" hinges with no issue by merely pressing the key back onto it, if the back of the key button still has the "snap" grooves and they are not broken.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I don't see any grooves to snap onto.
Gotta picture of the back?

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't taken a photo. My best guess is that the clip is broken. Does the entire keyboard need to be replaced just to replace a single key?

·
Registered
194 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I haven't taken a photo. My best guess is that the clip is broken. Does the entire keyboard need to be replaced just to replace a single key?
Maybe not. Perhaps you can purchase only the key you need?
Not sure as I have not replaced a single key by itself. All replacement I have is due to a faulty keyboard.

What laptop model do you have? I can try to look for the keyboards I have replaced in the past and rip off F10...just not sure where is it now.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Gold, So the pic you did post is of a missing "f" key, not a f10 key. But, non the less, what make/model laptop is yours?

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't post any photos. Regardless, the f10 key is the one that has come loose. My laptop is a 2013 model HP Envy 17" Touchscreen. I am not sure what the exact model is, but that shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I've repaired many a laptop keyboard. Carefully position the key over the space. Make sure it is aligned, then press firmly downward. You should feel the key snap into place and then it should work fine.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
JerseyDevil said:
I've repaired many a laptop keyboard. Carefully position the key over the space. Make sure it is aligned, then press firmly downward. You should feel the key snap into place and then it should work fine.
:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JerseyDevil said:
I've done that, but nothing happens. ???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts