EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a couple of posts in the Outlook forum about how to replace your factory-installed standard audio with the navigation touch screen. If there are any Enclave owners who have done this, I would love to hear from you concerning the process itself as well as your satisfaction with the results. While the standard radio in our CX is fine for our actual needs and the OnStar Turn by Turn works very well with the standard radio, I have geek lust for the touch screen.

·
Registered
232 Posts
No problem. There's a lot of good info on this forum in other threads about lockpick devices for your Nav as well. Also a lot of good threads on the Acadia forum. Do a search on "lock pick" in either site and you'll find a wealth of information.

I installed the factory navigation radio in my Acadia last weekend. This weekend, I'm installing the GMX-320 lockpick from CoastalEtech, which I'll use to connect an aftermarket rear-view camera. I'm also installing the AXIPGMLAN iPod interface from Scosche.

·
Registered
17 Posts
that was for a 6 disc to nav you have standard radio to nav which will get you a longer parts list. vss harness voice harnes for turn by turn amp add on module. the 6 disc came with these i believe. i bought my radio and harness off ebay for 600 shipped and 72 shipped for vss and radio. not bad if i do say so. will be installing soon.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all of you for the info!

Our Enclave currently has the OnStar turn-by-turn, so would I be correct in assuming that the VSS and navigation antenna are already installed?

·
Registered
232 Posts
deacon_blues said:
Thanks to all of you for the info!

Our Enclave currently has the OnStar turn-by-turn, so would I be correct in assuming that the VSS and navigation antenna are already installed?
Yes and no. The VSS is there in an unplugged harness behind your radio if you have the 6 disk - I would think it's there regardless of what radio you have but I'm not sure. The navigation GPS antenna is not. Onstar does not use the nav GPS antenna, but instead uses cell towers to keep track of your position I think. You'll have to install the GPS antenna if you add navigation.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
loach, thanks again!

The reason I am curious about the GPS question is that I have played with "breaking" a turn-by-turn route after it was downloaded. When the route called for a turn, I continued past the correct street and traveled on for a while to see if the route would offer any correction other than calling for a 180 and back to the original plan. What happened was rather interesting in that the car's position was sensed as I went several blocks past the planned route and I was taken to the destination by a completely different route.

I would certainly see how it is possible to download information that is accurate for some specified radius surrounding the planned route, but I'm trying to understand how the vehicle position is being sensed given that there is no active connection(?) to the OnStar service at the time. Does the VSS itself have some compass function that would interact with the planned route as downloaded from OnStar?

If anyone has insight into this, I would appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
232 Posts
This info from the Onstar web site should help with your questions:

Q6. Is OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation available everywhere?
A6. Because OnStar's Turn-by-Turn Navigation service relies on Code-Division Multiple Access (CDMA) wireless data coverage and agreements with carriers to provide this service, Turn-by-Turn routing is only available to customers residing in and initiating or updating a route while traveling through OnStar's contracted carriers' enhanced service capable areas. This covers approximately 98 percent of the U.S. population, and approximately 80 percent of the population in Canada.

Also:

GPS Technology
How GPS Works
Global positioning system (GPS) satellite technology measures how long it takes a radio signal from a satellite to reach a vehicle, and then calculates distance using that time. OnStar uses the latest GPS receiver and antenna technology to get the most accurate vehicle location. Additionally, in some vehicles the wheel speed and direction are also used to further enhance OnStar's ability on location technology.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts