EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, my wife's 2008 Enclave developed a bit of a grumble. Last week, I finally climbed underneath and found that the muffler was deteriorating - it had developed a few holes and one of the seams was starting to come apart. I should note that the pipes were still in decent shape.

I'm more than a casual DIYer and was really not interested in dropping $900 on a complete replacement exhaust (Enclave's exhaust is 1 piece from behind the Y-pipe). After some digging, I found that Walker advertises replacement exhaust components for the Acadia. I took a risk and purchased the Acadia muffler replacement:

[Search for Walker 56230 - it appears I'm not allowed to post links]

It includes the pipe and connector to attach to the Y-pipe. On the other end, you trim the exhaust pipe right behind the original muffler and the Walker slides over the OEM pipe. After buying it, it is clear that this section of exhaust pipe is identical between the Acadia and the Enclave.

Review: At $100 shipped to my house, this was definitely worth it. I used a ball peen hammer to gently tap the Walker pipe slightly larger and sanded off the surface rust on the mating pipe along with a little grease to get them to go together easier. The OEM pipe flares a bit right behind the muffler, so you have to trim the OEM pipe about 1/2" away from the muffler.

Anyways, I don't expect the walker pipe to last another 6 years, but at $100 to replace, it is definitely a more cost effective option.

Hope this helps someone out there.

-Chris

·
Registered
140 Posts
Good to hear they are making alternative exhaust parts...

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Walker is horrible. The original exhaust on my Nissan lasted 12 years. Put on a Walker lifetime system from the cat back and it failed in 12 mos. what a joke. Good luck trying to get them to make good on the warranty. Horrible with a capital H.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
My understanding is that the Enclave has a stainless steel exhaust system. I am a little surprised that some mufflers have been reported to have developed leaks and holes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this an older post but I thought this info may be of use to current Enclave owners or those looking to buy. My 2008 has a few holes in the exhaust (canister in the middle of the car). The resonators and tailpipes appear to be fine. The quote from my local dealer is $1540. Price from GM is roughly 800-900 plus 350-375 for shipping (1275). In my mind, the extra money to have it installed is worth it. I was hoping to find a nice aftermarket exhaust and do a replacement myself but I could not find anything from a manufacturer that I would trust (Borla, Magnaflow, etc) without piecing something together from various parts.

Anyways, I am disappointed that at 73,000 miles I have to replace the exhaust system and at this price. Has me rethinking buying another Buick or even looking at a Traverse or Arcadia for a future car if parts are this expensive (assuming a same or similar exhaust set-up). The muffler should have been an item that was bolted between the cats and the rear tailpipe (resonators) so I could be replaced at a much lower cost. Nothing like replacing parts that don't need to be replaced (such a waste).

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
the exhaust are practically identical on the other lambdas.. except for the final parts. (some Traverse come with single exhaust) LTZ has double.

But Ive seen entire exhaust on ebay--- used.

If its that one part thats bad-- Id consider finding a used part and replacing it.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I don't understand the amount of apparent angst that's been expressed about exhaust replacement. I haven't looked personally but I doubt it would be any problem going to a muffler shop (local Independent or Nationwide Chain) and getting a replacement welded in place of the OEM muffler at a much much lower price than replacing the whole cat-back OEM part.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have not had to replace any exhaust parts for at least 25 years - at least since the widespread use of stainless steel. Even on my 92 Cadillac, which was 17 years old when I traded it in for cash-for-clunkers. I agree with Badav, take it to a reputable muffler shop and have a new one welded in. Should cost less than $300.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Agree, on a modern car exhaust should last 10-15 yrs. minimum, it's the flaps/actuators, etc. that fail.

On my Nissan my original got replaced by that muffler chain that almost went out of business, you know, the old one from Chicago but now Miami, the king.

The original system lasted more than a decade. The replacement stuff has been replaced twice, both the resonator and the muffler, in a matter of 3 yrs. When it fails next year again, it will be 3X. Obviously it wouldn't pay in their business model to use good parts, they exist because of the labor (lifetime warranty on the muffler only).

The original was not even stainless, back in 1998 it was aluminized. Replacement is pretty much junk, not really a bargain when one sees how quickly it fails. But a dealer would be a lot of $$$ in labor.

hehe on the BMW they told me the actuator is worn out on the left muffler, $1,200 to replace. The system is $6,300. They used good parts back in 2007. On a 2011 car, the cost was cut in 1/2 by going fake duals (2007-2010 is true duals), and on a 2014, the cost is 1/4. The incredible growing profit margins are good for shareholders...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi GoldEnclave,

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question - but I had a muffler hole and I replaced the muffler with the Walker brand replacement part that I cited in the first post.

7 months later and it still is working well and looks good.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
532 Posts
It's not hard these days to find a lifetime warrantied muffler. Why would anyone spend $1000+ for the muffler/Y pipe assy. with no warranty when Midas and others will put in a lifetime muffler for less than $300?

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
srracer said:
Hi GoldEnclave,

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question - but I had a muffler hole and I replaced the muffler with the Walker brand replacement part that I cited in the first post.

7 months later and it still is working well and looks good.

Hope this helps!
Thanks. I read through your post too quickly and missed your comment on going with the Walker muffler.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I 2nd the Walker 56230 part for the '08 Enclave. The front flange mounts of the header pipe bolt right up, the header pipe (welded to muffler) is same shape as original, cut the tailpipe off the back of muffler as close as you can get to the body of the muffler. Mount new assembly - trim tailpipe to length. I then cut a 4-5" section out of a straight portion of the original header pipe to use as a sleeve and mounted it over the output of the muffler and over the tailpipe, and secure with exhaust clamps. Took about 1 hour - including the trip mid-way to Autozone to obtain the clamps. I do think the sound out of the tailpipes is "slightly" more aggressive sounding than stock - perhaps that is the difference between the $156 dollar Acadia part, versus the muffler only (no header pipe) $180 Enclave part (both from Autozone). Decibel wise -no louder, just a little more "separation" in exhaust pulses I think.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Again, not exactly sure why new mufflers were needed (accident?), but I did not have a good experience with Walker on my Nissan. Both resonator and muffler were replaced with Walker lifetime. 18 mos later (Northeast/salt) they both failed (original on the car lasted 12 yrs.). Could not get anyone to honor the lifetime warranty locally, it's as if I would have to ship the parts back to the mfg to be inspected to see if they are covered? The shipping would cost more than the parts themselves. This would be something where I'd want OEM...

At least with OEM, it is designed to not fail under the original b2b

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
According to the manager of the body shop that repaired my Enclave after its 4th rear-ending a couple of years ago, the Enclave's exhaust system is a life-of-the-vehicle stainless steel system.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, on mine, there were no accidents or damage, but the muffler was definitely not full stainless, as the seems had rusted out. The pipes themselves were fine, but not the muffler. Maybe I just got a bad batch. In any case, for $100, I'm not sweating it. The replacement muffler is still working great 2 years and 50+K miles later.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
That's interesting. I wonder if there could be significant variances in build construction and quality of materials?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts