EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The wires are then wrapped in tape, followed by a second wrap of yellow tape. The yellow is a flag that the wires are part of the airbag system. Airbag connectors are typically yellow or orange in color to warn technicians to take extra precaution when working on them.

The problem is that the four wires coming from the seat are different colors than the four coming from the car. Since the wires coming from the car were longer and had more room, I carefully labeled each with the corresponding color they connect to coming from the seat.

Then I noticed two of the seat wires used the same color. Rather than labeling those two wires, I got lazy and cut one shorter than the other to differentiate them.

This method worked on the drivers seat. But when I got to the passenger seat, somehow all the wires ended up the same length. When I reconnected the wires I had to make a guess, and guessed wrong. So the code scanner showed what I expected. I switched the two wires, cleared the code, and started the car.

Finally - no errors, no warnings, and COLD air flowing from the A/C!

PS - I take some solace from the embarrassment of miswiring the seat from the fact that NASA made a similar mistake on Apollo 6. During ascent, the #2 engine on the second stage had a leak. The computer sent a command to shut down the engine, but one of the signals was crossed with the #3 engine, so it shut down as well. Amazingly, the computer was able to compensate for the reduced, offset thrust, and the rocket still made it to orbit!

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Holy crap, Batman!!! Job well done!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great effort and project! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The steering column and radio. The radio has a lot off connectors - it controls the audio for the many speakers scattered around the cabin, along with the DVD video, CD audio, and USB connector. Plus all of the A/C controls for either front seat. They all snap together, but getting the cables to fold and fit as the radio is installed is kind of like trying to put a sleeping bag back into its original bag - you know it fit, but you're not sure how.

The steering column, on the other hand, went together smoothly. Like the center console it has multiple functions (tilt/telescope, radio/phone/cruise controls, airbag, horn) but it's all contained in a single sub-assembly. Four large bolts secure it to the aluminum IP Carrier, one bolt attaches it the rest of the steering system, and a couple of multi-pin quick disconnects connect it to the rest of the car.
View attachment 6594
How do i get this floor panel below console off on drivers side.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts