EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I got my new-to-me Enclave this week: a 2009 Cocoa Metallic CXL. For an 09, it had very few miles (40k), so it seems like it was pretty much a garage queen. Overall the car seems to have been taken care of very well, with no interior stains or body damage other than a couple tiny little door dings and some swirls from bad washing techniques (or perhaps a love of auto washes). The only thing that needs some TLC are the black window pillars. Since I am new to the forum I am not allowed to post pictures yet, so I will try to describe it.

Basically, it looks like someone used a product on those door pillars that stripped their finish. They are very dull and blotchy, with some areas more faded than others. They also have a rougher texture to them, like whatever coating was on them has been removed. If you looked at an isolated picture of them, you would think that you were looking at an unloved, 15 year old car. With everything else about the car still looking practically new, they have started to catch my eye and are really beginning to bug me.

Does anyone know of any products and techniques that can be used to restore these? I've seen the covers that several companies make for them in both chrome and black, and am open to that idea, also.

I'd be thankful for any direction or advice that anyone may have for me! :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
The door pillars are said to be a vinyl cover. It has also been mentioned (though I have yet to see it for certain) that if you take the vinyl off, the pillar is painted body color underneath. If yours look bad, maybe you can be the guinea pig and try peeling it off. :thumb:

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 2010 E pillars were fine until I accidently got some wax/sealant product on em. They look similar to your description. Try some dishwash liquid to strip the possible wax? worth a try. Good luck

·
Registered
251 Posts
Mine were a little discolored, my first try was Armoural, it worked ok, and still does, depends on condition of yours.

I did ask the dealer if they sold them, they indicated yes. A bit pricey, which led me to asking a vinyl graphics shop and the price was fairly reasonable. If you look, that's all they are, a vinyl wrap.

I've seen the SS ones on an Enclave, wasn't impressed, but that's just me.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
:welcome: JessRene to the forum! The door trim around the windows and the "B" Pillars are a black vinyl adhesive over the base color of your particular Enclave. My "Cherry-Ot" (as I refer to my Red Jewel Enclave as) has a nick on one of the pillars and I can see the Red Jewel paint thru the hole. I have thought of pulling the vinyl off, but I am just leaving it alone.
1st you can try using dishwashing soap to see if the wax is able to be removed.
2nd You could try using a Meguiar's "back to black" product to see if it brings it back to normal.
3rd If you were to take it to the dealer to have it replaced, it might be a hundred or two hundred to have it done(my best guess).
4th Or you could peal all the black vinyl off and make all the window trim and pillars your base color.

Keep us posted as to what you end up having done and how it turns out for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!

Kel03-- I agree with you, after looking at the SS/chrome ones, I don't think that is quite for me. A bit too blingy for my taste. :)
Cfedor- I've heard of the Back to Black, but many of the reviews I have seen have said that it doesn't stay on very well and you have to reapply frequently. Have you had any experience with it?

I found somewhere that I can order replacement vinyl already cut to fit the Enclave for a pretty reasonable price and am really tempted to go that route. One of the big benefits of that is the kit also includes pieces cut to fit over the C pillar to black that out, which is a small detail I would prefer. I might experiment with the Back to Black first, though, as that would be a much easier solution. I'll keep y'all posted... I'm hoping to find time to wash and detail it within the next couple of weeks!

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Yes. The Meguair's Back to Black needs reapplied(as needed) over time. But it does do the trick.

I found it for you:

http://www.gmpartsonline.net/parts/2009/Buick/Enclave/CXL?siteid=215055&vehicleid=207980&diagram=AE08550

[ 5 ] BODY HARDWARE / REAR DOOR / EXTERIOR TRIM / Black out tape
Part Number: 20940972

black out tape front, grained finish Left
MSRP Core ? Online Price
$49.00 $0.00 $32.93
Protect your purchase. Add 2 years/unlimited miles of coverage on top of the manufacturer's warranty.* - $4.94

[ 5 ] BODY HARDWARE / REAR DOOR / EXTERIOR TRIM / Black out tape
Part Number: 20940973

black out tape front, grained finish Right
MSRP Core ? Online Price
$49.00 $0.00 $32.93
Protect your purchase. Add 2 years/unlimited miles of coverage on top of the manufacturer's warranty.* - $4.94

[ 6 ] BODY HARDWARE / REAR DOOR / EXTERIOR TRIM / Black out tape
Part Number: 20940970

black out tape rear, grained finish Left
MSRP Core ? Online Price
$15.58 $0.00 $10.47
Protect your purchase. Add 2 years/unlimited miles of coverage on top of the manufacturer's warranty.* - $1.57

[ 6 ] BODY HARDWARE / REAR DOOR / EXTERIOR TRIM / Black out tape
Part Number: 20940971

black out tape rear, grained finish Right
MSRP Core ? Online Price
$14.14 $0.00 $9.50

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I will use Back to Black when I wash and detail here soon and post before and after pictures. Hopefully that will get it looking good enough that actually replacing them can be a down-the-road project!

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Your welcome. $80.00 + s/h could be cheaper than having the dealer do it. But, $10.00 on some Back to Black should get you what you are looking for. Looking forward to your pictures.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Anything like Back to Black is only going to last 6-8 weeks. There are some coatings you can buy online that will go longer.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The front right door on our 2009 has cracks in the black vinyl applique. I just bought the official GM part off Amazon for $39. I expect it to show up this week and I plan on replacing it myself. I have a heat gun and have heard that if you work carefully you can peel the old one off and install the new one. They are definitely black vinyl with 3M adhesive on the back and the pillars are definitely painted body-color underneath the vinyl (ours is White Diamond so it's very easy to see the body color through the cracks in the black vinyl).

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
If they look that bad, then this is no garage queen. I have an 09 that was parked in a garage for the first 6 years and mine look like brand new. Sounds like sun damage or wrong products applied to them.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Mine look pretty good color-wise, with the exception of the passenger side which has a nick in it. Mine aren't discolored from wax. But I do have some "rough" unfinished looking edges on the bottoms where they meet up to the chrome window edge trim. Then there are 2 that have ripples like they twisted them when applying them. These areas aren't really noticeable unless you are right on top of them, though. I don't know about the first 4 years of the first owner whether it was garaged daily or not, but I have had my "Cherry-Ot" for 2-1/2 years and have always parked it in the garage.

Oh and I am still trying to post pictures, but the forum is still erroring out... upload folder is full....

·
Registered
848 Posts
Seems odd, but I almost wonder if someone tried polishing the trim. Maybe they thought they could smooth it out like orange peeled paint :p

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Grimm said:
Seems odd, but I almost wonder if someone tried polishing the trim. Maybe they thought they could smooth it out like orange peeled paint :p
As in making them glossy? Seems very odd, when you can feel that it is textured to a degree and made to look matte finish.

·
Registered
59 Posts
had mine replaced when I bought it. they had to replced the vynle (sp) or stickers. They took apart the windows etc. I got two different quotes. One for 300.00 the other for 800. obviously, since they both were buick dealers I chose the cheaper route. good thing too, because when the job was finished they told me that the job should have costed close to a grand to replaced jsut for the simple fact of all the labor. I stopped in while they were doing it and it was an absolute nightmare they said. Not really sure why GM decided to put heavy duty stickers (thats what they are) instead of color to match the vehicle similar to the C pillar. ohh well.

·
Registered
251 Posts
oneredry said:
had mine replaced when I bought it. they had to replced the vynle (sp) or stickers. They took apart the windows etc. I got two different quotes. One for 300.00 the other for 800. obviously, since they both were buick dealers I chose the cheaper route. good thing too, because when the job was finished they told me that the job should have costed close to a grand to replaced jsut for the simple fact of all the labor. I stopped in while they were doing it and it was an absolute nightmare they said. Not really sure why GM decided to put heavy duty stickers (thats what they are) instead of color to match the vehicle similar to the C pillar. ohh well.
Go to a shop that deals with vinyl products such as signs and wraps, they are very knowledgeable with the product, and are way cheaper.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
oneredry said:
Door window frames under the vinyl blackout tape, SHOULD be the car color. Mine are.

·
Registered
703 Posts
cfedor said:
Door window frames under the vinyl blackout tape, SHOULD be the car color. Mine are.
Notice he said "C pillars". On ALL models the A and B pillars are body-color under the vinyl tape. For the C pillars, on the 2008-2012 models they are body-color and on the 2013-up models they are piano black with a recessed Buick logo. I don't understand why GM didn't put the applique on the C pillars as well :banghead:

I looked into changing out my C pillars to the new style with the recessed logo. The problem is that you have to take the interior trim panels off to get to the backing nuts that hold the C pillar on. I didn't want to take the chance of breaking interior trim pieces or possibly having squeaks and rattles once it is back together so for now my C pillars are still WDT. I may try to PlastiDip them to match the vinyl ones.

PS -- The seller that I bought the vinyl applique from sent me the wrong one initially. He sent me the correct one last week but I haven't had a chance to install it yet. I looked at the door and I don't think it will be that difficult. My dealer actually told me to do it myself because paying them would be a waste. He said you are supposed to remove all the weatherstripping but thinks if I get someone to help me and hold the weatherstripping away from the window as we go it should work fine. I may have to loosen the mirror trim "triangle" piece but other than that it he said it is DIY-possible.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts