EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Yes, I understand that. I have seen a white 13-15 that the C pillar was it's body color and not black. I wonder if they had, had it done or if it came that way???
Good luck with the DIY, sklunk.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Proof that under the pillar black out tape, is the vehicle color: - at least on my Red Jewel Tintcoat.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Wow! The vinyl looks pretty worn! Did something scuff the pillar?
That's a close up shot of it. it's only about as big as a pencil tip. But, I agree with MOST users that GM applied the tape poorly. Mine is twisted in some areas, doesn't look good on 1 of the 4 areas where it is supposed to match up of go behind the chrome window threshold trim.

And I just got this error again.... while posting another pic.
The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
The passenger side:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
I know, right?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Okay, finally installed the replacement applique. This will be a long post (and we still can't attach photos) so bear with me :confused:

A couple of things to get out of the way first:
  • I am an average DIY'er. I am pretty handy mechanically but am definitely NOT a technician/mechanic.
  • I am glad I tackled this myself for the experience. That being said, I recommend having the dealership do it (read on to see why).
  • I performed this on the right front door. The left front door would be the same. The rear doors would be similar without some obvious steps around the mirror.
I am writing this from memory so here goes ...

1) Put the window down.
2) Remove the 3 screws that hold the door panel in place. First remove the plastic filler panel behind the chrome door lever and you will find 1 screw behind that. Next remove the plastic filler running down the door "pull" and you will find 2 screws behind that. I did NOT have to remove the door panel; removing these screws just loosens it up for the next step. If you are careful with the next step you may even be able to skip Step 2.
3) Remove the black trim that runs around the window from the mirror to the door lock knob. It fits in behind the door panel near the mirror, and there is 1 clip there you need to pry out with a trim tool or long screwdriver.
4) You will see 3 nuts that hold the mirror on. Remove 2 of them and loosen 1. This will allow you to loosen the mirror but not remove it completely. Pull the mirror away from the body.
5) There is 1 screw near the rear of the door that holds on the chrome strip at the outside bottom of the window. Remove it and carefully pull the strip up to loosen it from the door.
6) Pull out the weatherstripping that is in the window channel. You can pull it off most of the way around then let it hang without completely removing it.
7) Pull out the weatherstripping that is around the outside of the door. Again, you can pull it out of its channel most of the way then leave it hang. There is a small "button" in the upper corner that you need to pull out as well.

That's all for the disassembly. Now comes the fun part :eyebrow:

8 ) Remove the old black applique. This was the hardest part and took me most of the time. It comes off in pieces and is hard to get off where it wraps around the edge of the window. You can't really use a razor blade since it may scratch the paint.
PS -- the door is DEFINITELY body-color under the applique
9) VERY IMPORTANT -- REMOVE ALL THE OLD ADHESIVE RESIDUE!! This was very difficult. I tried numerous cleaners/solvents and lots of elbow grease but could not get it all off. I'm not sure what they use at the dealership but whatever GM recommends must work pretty well. IF YOU DO NOT GET ALL THE RESIDUE OFF YOU WILL SEE BUMPS UNDER THE NEW APPLIQUE AFTER IT IS INSTALLED! This happened to me. It is mainly because of Steps 8 and 9 that I recommend letting the dealership do this repair.
10) Install the new applique. If you have installed stickers or vinyl before this isn't a big deal. Only remove the backing on the area you are working on. Start in the upper rear corner of the window (there is a slit in the applique that needs aligned). Work your way along the top gradually peeling the backing off and rubbing out bubbles as you go. Next work your way down the B-pillar doing the same. Do the flat parts first. After you are happy with them go back and roll the edges over making sure to work from the center out as much as possible. Make sure you roll them over and press them down tightly.
11) That's it. Reverse Steps 7-1 to put everything back together.

I also had some "wrinkling" near the bottom of the rear doors like cfedor's photo. I found a similar screw for the chrome strip, removed it, and pulled the lower edge of the applique away. I was able to "stretch" the lower part of the existing applique and eliminate most of the wrinkle. I'm sure the adhesive will not hold up as well so it may come loose again but it was worth the try.

All in all I am happy with it. The new applique is slightly darker than the existing ones (I guess they have faded) so I will try to brighten them up a little with some cleaner. You can only see the bumps when you get close to the door and I don't want to buy another applique so for now I will live with it. My driver side is starting to peel too so if I can find something that removes the adhesive better I would consider doing that one myself.

Whew -- now my fingers are tired (both from removing the old applique and from typing this post) :happy:

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Very descriptive and concise. :thumb: :thumb: 2x thumbs up! Would goof off work on that adhesive?
ye$, agreed. Wish we were able to post pictures again. COME ON ADMIN! FIX this thing!

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
testing out the picture attach feature: this is what 2 of my pillars look like.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Awesome, they look like crap. Ummm...awesome that the photo attachment function works again; sucks that your pillars look like crap. ;)

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Awesome, they look like crap. Ummm...awesome that the photo attachment function works again; sucks that your pillars look like crap. ;)
Minor flaw. :sosad:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I suppose that I overstated due to the magnified view of the photos that you can now so gloriously post again on this forum. :D

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I suppose that I overstated due to the magnified view of the photos that you can now so gloriously post again on this forum. :D
Nah, they look like crap. :) I will go on gloriously posting PICTURES!! YEAH!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I recently saw an enclave where the black had been replaced with chrome/mirror. It looked pretty good.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts