EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to turn of all or some of the retained accessory power (RAP) options? I want to kill the power to the 12v outlets when the Enclave is off if possible. I have an FM tuner plug in for my iPod. With RAP it will stay on indefinately I think. Will the 'save the battery feature' prevent this? It didn't seem to in my previous Chevy Avalanche. Any suggestions? ???

G

·
xrayman said:
Is there any way to turn of all or some of the retained accessory power (RAP) options? I want to kill the power to the 12v outlets when the Enclave is off if possible. I have an FM tuner plug in for my iPod. With RAP it will stay on indefinately I think. Will the 'save the battery feature' prevent this? It didn't seem to in my previous Chevy Avalanche. Any suggestions? ???
i always, keep my phone pluged in on my yukon, it is always on becuase of the red light and the phone saying "charging" i leave this pluged in all the time and even over night and am able to start the next day, that way i never forget it, i always plug it in the car outlet.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, is the power draw so low that I don't have to worry about it for days or a week or so?? It's one of those FM transmitters. I don't leave the ipod plugged into it. ???

·
Registered
120 Posts
On our Rendezvous I leave a phone and an aftermarket xm radio left plugged in almost all the time. It seems to use a very limited amount of power. On my husbands Saab, it automatically shuts off when the key is removed, so there is no possibility of a mobile phone charging while the car is not running. Needless to say that is more frustrating than beneficial, compared with the convinence we have experinced with the Rendezvous being able to charge phones up at night.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Re: Retained accessory power: Can it be turned off?

xrayman said:
First off, I think Retained Accessory Power refers to when you turn off the key, Stay in the vehicle w/o opening any doors, and the radio plays, windows work, etc for about 10-15 minutes or so. Then they turn off automatically.

Now, I never checked the Enclave but I bet some of the power outlets work thru the ignition switch and some are "hot" 24/7 ? Small devices left overnite usually won't hurt a good battery, provided the car is driven a bit the next day or 2 ! I still would not make a habit of leaving something plugged in thru the winter mos. if you live in a cold climate however. (unless attached/heated garage) as 50% of battery starting strength is gone, at 10 degrees F.

Cell phones draw an exceptable 25-50milliamps to charge. Most turn off the charge when finished,automatically. (see your phone manual!) If your FM converter draws more (and I bet it draws 500-1000 milliamps/or 1 amp) I would be careful about going more than 1 day w/o a good 20 minute drive.

Lastly, I'm pretty the Battery Run-Down feature only applies to all the lighting, maybe some outlets, but not outlets designed to stay on, all the time ,by design. Easy to check! ;D
GL!

·
Registered
525 Posts
This may be useless information, but I use my 12 volt vacuum powered by all the 12 volt outlets (except the the one in the bottom of the front console) with the key out of the ignition. So I'm sure they do not power down at all. I know from experience that even a very low amperage drain on a car battery over an extended period of time will give you a dead battery. I think it would behoove you to pull the plug on your stereo equipment and avoid a dead battery.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jacko said:
This may be useless information, but I use my 12 volt vacuum powered by all the 12 volt outlets (except the the one in the bottom of the front console) with the key out of the ignition. So I'm sure they do not power down at all. I know from experience that even a very low amperage drain on a car battery over an extended period of time will give you a dead battery. I think it would behoove you to pull the plug on your stereo equipment and avoid a dead battery.
As I suspected. So.......I assume there is no way to turn off the RAP, i.e. no power to 12v outlets after key is out of the ignition and nobody left in the car. It would be great if there was at least one that would not remain 'live'. Oh Well :sosad:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was looking to see if there was a way to have them power down upon key removal as well.
The one hidden down in the center console does not power down either. We like to keep our phone charger down there but it bothers us that the little light on the charger plug stays on all the time regardless of whether the phone is plugged in or not.

G

·
netmag said:
I was looking to see if there was a way to have them power down upon key removal as well.
The one hidden down in the center console does not power down either. We like to keep our phone charger down there but it bothers us that the little light on the charger plug stays on all the time regardless of whether the phone is plugged in or not.
like i say i do that all the time and have no trouble, but in the winter it stays in a heated garage so that might be the difference.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh Well, it was woth a shot. Thanks everybody. :thumb:

·
Registered
249 Posts
xrayman said:
Oh Well, it was woth a shot. Thanks everybody. :thumb:
We can always attach a small switch to our charger or whatever we're connecting. We can get the switch at Radio Shack and splice the switch to the wire.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to just pull the plug?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
netmag said:
If that's all you're worried about, the little red LEd ,on the plug itself, don't worry! that's just a "Power recognition" LED. It draws almost no power when the phone is not plugged into the other end and charging itself! The LED alone could go a month w/ no problem!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts