EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the enclave have rev limiter, on my yukon if i have the peddle on the floor it will crank but not start so save me from blowing up my engine, just to clarify, does the enclave have this, here is a short video of what im talking about, sorry speeking was so unclear i just forgot it, so i will describe it to you.

first, foot on the floor, let it cranks and it does not start to save me from blowing it up. I was not going to try this on a 5 day old truck with 56 miles on it so i hope you dont mind the yukon.

second, i let go of the peddel and it cranks fine and as you heard i REVVED it to show you the truck still runs fine. you have to turn up the volume to hear it, but turn it down when the alarm comes on, boy is that annoying. Wish i new how to turn it off.
sorry at the end i forgot to stop recording so it gets kinda distorted. Thanks in Advance :thumb:

EDIT- here is a different video with the door closed to minimize noise and the stupid door alarm, although it is still there i dont do anything until it stops.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Not sure...but WHY in the world would you ever even be touching the gas pedal when you start it? That's just dumb, but clearly something that still has to be compensated for legally, to make sure the idiots don't blow things up and then need extreme warranty work.

Even beyond that, technically, as many new vehicles are, there's no direct linkage between the accelerator pedal and the throttle--it's all computer/sensor based. So, even if needed, it can just be programmed in this case to ignore the accelerator pedal position at startup.

So, again, WHY would you even think to do/ask this? Same with even after started, you normally don't sit revving a vehicle in idle as high as you can "just because".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when you got a 50 series flowmaster on the end, yes you do. plus it was in N not P, sheesh it was just a question.

i asked this because im curious if it will block me out from doing this on the enclave or if it is a specail , my older suburban would never start with out a little touch on the gas, ever had a car that needed you to give it gas to start, but i dont normally start like that, i was just trying to show an example, and am kinda happy it knows not to start when my foots on the peddle.

and not all new cars have the Drive by wire system, our c6 is still mechanically linked to the engine. To give it the old time ways, i like that, i wish there was not a drive by wire system on here, i want control not some stupid black box to tell me what to do.

and just for the record when i revved it in the end it was no wear near as high as it could go, that was 1/4th the way down, i have way more power than that, while sitting before a drag race i was able to rev it up to 5000 RPM, boy did i sound mean and rarin' to go , and also, its not your decision what i do with my truck, so dont give me crap about how i "rev it for the **** of it", she still runs fine, and with the added 50 series it runs smoother because the engine is able to breath better. revving does not hurt it, i was in neutral, so no stress on the tranny and plenty of coolant. whats hard on an engine is steady 5000 rpm with no movement to cool the coolant in the radiator.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Well, I understand "why" as to revving (believe me, I get it, with 5 V8 vehicles in the house).

Just worried/wondered about the foot on the accelerator/starting at the same time. That didn't make any sense, as to why you'd do that, and/or need the protection system against doing it. Start it, then rev away...but otherwise, it was baffling to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Enclave does have a rev limiter. Holding your foot on the gas in WOT mode (wide open throttle) or near this position will shut fuel off to the injectors on cranking. This is called Clear Flood Mode. In the event that the engine gets too much fuel in extreme cold conditions the clear flood mode will move some air through the system to eliminate the excessive fuel condition. If you shut off the fuel while cranking the combustion chambers dry out. This will be indicated by excessive crank time before startup. Most all Fuel Injected engines work in this way. Never hit the gas on crank-up on this vehicle, unless you have this extreme cold flood condition. If it is cold enough for this to happen you don,t need to go out anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
now i have been in some preety cold areas in this truck, northern part of Michigan were at 3:00 a.m. i was driving home to Va, and it was -26 on the temp gauge, and it started fine so i guess it would need to be really cold for it to need gas to start, but yes all of our cars are v-8s so i under stand caddycruzer there, but if you know cadillacs then you know once they get old they dont start with out some gas, especacly our 86 fleetwood, that takes alot to get it started on a good day.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
picturetaker said:
The Enclave does have a rev limiter. Holding your foot on the gas in WOT mode (wide open throttle) or near this position will shut fuel off to the injectors on cranking. This is called Clear Flood Mode. In the event that the engine gets too much fuel in extreme cold conditions the clear flood mode will move some air through the system to eliminate the excessive fuel condition. If you shut off the fuel while cranking the combustion chambers dry out. This will be indicated by excessive crank time before startup. Most all Fuel Injected engines work in this way. Never hit the gas on crank-up on this vehicle, unless you have this extreme cold flood condition. If it is cold enough for this to happen you don,t need to go out anyway.
welcome aboard! :cheers:

Yes
Ii just turn the key......no matter the temp! starts great. The holding down trick is how we would de-flood the old carbureter cars!! good to know they included it in the programming, just in case!
Maybe put some info on your car/ accessories on your signature for us! Love having a "picture guy" on the site!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. As you may see by my signature I work for a Buick Pontic dealership in Dayton Ohio. I am setting looking out the window at a row of Enclave's. We have about 20 in stock now. I am the IT Administrator / Internet Manager here at the dealer. I have not bought an Enclave yet, but plan to in the future. I will try and get a Pep vehicle (factory company vehicle) when they release them for sale.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Wow! 20 in stock?????? Anyone waiting and willing a trip to Ohio, check this dealers website or Pm Picturetaker as he is the IT mgr there!! Fair prices?? Thx Picturetaker!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts