EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so despite the fact that I have a camera and park assist....I backed my wifes enclave into a small tree. (Since I was just moving the vehicle...I did not put on my seatbelt....I assumed the chimes were the seatbelt warning) The tree hit exactly on one of the parking sensors....pushing it back into the bumper cover. I was able to reach behind the bumper and push the sensor back into place....but the system still says Parking assist unavailable. I have obviously damaged the sensor. The dealer says they have to remove the bumper and replace the sensor...$875 for part ($180), paint and labor ($695). The bumper is barely even nicked....but they say they have to paint the new sensor anyway.
Has anyone had any luck replacing these sensors? Anyone know where I might find a used sensor? (Then it would already be painted) Do I really have to remove the bumper? Just seems like overkill.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for the Bosch link. Unfortunately I called Bosch and they said that the sensors are only available from GM dealers at this point. When I called my dealer ....they have never heard of the "crash kit". I did find the part for 70 bucks cheaper on www.gmpartsdirect.com..only $114. But I obviously will have to paint the sensor.

Would love to hear from someone who has taken the rear bumper cover off......Is it difficult?

·
Registered
103 Posts
jbarton467 said:
Thanks for the Bosch link. Unfortunately I called Bosch and they said that the sensors are only available from GM dealers at this point. When I called my dealer ....they have never heard of the "crash kit". I did find the part for 70 bucks cheaper on www.gmpartsdirect.com..only $114. But I obviously will have to paint the sensor.

Would love to hear from someone who has taken the rear bumper cover off......Is it difficult?
Ask the dealer how much just to install it. You can get the part and paint it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did ask the dealer how much to just install. The majority of the labor is removal and installation of the bumper cover....which I am not convinced needs to be done in order to reach the sensor that is bad. So they are saying it would only take 200 off the 875 dollar estimate to skip the paint.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
When I got my car back after a rear end collision, one of the silicon rings was missing from one of the sensors. In order to put it on, the tech had to partially remove the new bumper. This took only about ten minutes to complete, so I would imagine that it is necessary to remove the bumper but that it is not too difficult to deal with if you know what to do. Perform a Google search for Enclave rear bumper removal and instillation and see if you can find instructions. If you can find a pre-painted sensor and learn the proper way to manipulate the bumper, give it a try. If you run into trouble, then let the shop finish the job. Good luck.

P.S. The price quoted for the job seems very high. The bill to replace the exhaust system (which was pushed in during the rear end collision), replace and paint the rear bumper, replace and paint the four sensors, and the labor came to around $1200.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
jbarton467 said:
I did ask the dealer how much to just install. The majority of the labor is removal and installation of the bumper cover....which I am not convinced needs to be done in order to reach the sensor that is bad. So they are saying it would only take 200 off the 875 dollar estimate to skip the paint.
I got the same response from my dealer. One of my sensors is loose ( someone backed into my E). I tried gluing but was not successful.
It is stil working though...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:angryfire:

Finally gave up. The cheapest place I could find the sensor was at gmpartsdirect.com. $114 + shipping. Still not sure how to get the back bumper off. Still would have to paint the sensor. I took it to the body shop this morning. Paying my $250 deductible and making it someone elses problem. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
1 Posts

can you tell me the part number for this sensor? I did the same thing...backed in to my husband bumper! The bumper is fine but it knocked that little dit back inside the bumper and the GM dealership said it broke the connector. They said it would cost 550 to replace it and paint my the little metal piece! 😳. The bumper ding isn’t even noticeable. A local mechanic said i needed to just buy the unit and he would install it for me but I can’t figure out what the part number is I need to order. my camera works fine and so does the other sensors. Can Anyone help me?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts