EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 50K I replaced all four tires in our 2011 Enclave with Continentals (have to check exact model) All-weather. I specifically went out of my way to get beefier tires than what we had before. The original tires that came with the car weren't that great in the snow during this last winter (which was pretty rough).

Since then we noticed that the ride has become rougher. Can literally feel every bump in the road in the floor and in the steering column, at least compared to what the car felt like before.

Could new tires do that ? Should I be worried about a suspension issue ?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
It is very likely the new tires, especially considering you chose to go with a better all season tire. The "chunkier" tread typically contributes to more road noise and possibly a stiffer ride. The largest influence is sidewall stiffness. You could try lowering the air pressure if you are not at the pressure recommended on the driver's door (30 psi? - I don't remember if it's 30 or 32); it might help a little.

Tire Rack has reviews where you can try to determine how much difference a new tire will make in your ride versus the OEM tire. It's all a compromise between ride comfort, traction, tire life, etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BadAV said:
It is very likely the new tires, especially considering you chose to go with a better all season tire. The "chunkier" tread typically contributes to more road noise and possibly a stiffer ride. The largest influence is sidewall stiffness. You could try lowering the air pressure if you are not at the pressure recommended on the driver's door (30 psi? - I don't remember if it's 30 or 32); it might help a little.

Tire Rack has reviews where you can try to determine how much difference a new tire will make in your ride versus the OEM tire. It's all a compromise between ride comfort, traction, tire life, etc.
It's actually 35 psi on the driver side door. I checked this morning... Also, looked up one of the OnStar emails. Cold tires (overnight) were all at 35psi each. Yesterday was a hot day here and some where 36-37psi.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GoldEnclave said:
Which model Continentals are they? Also, what is the speed rating on the tires?
Ok, the tires are Continental Crosscontact LX20 255/60R19 109H

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
dulino, those have been highly praised on this forum and some tire websites that I've perused. But, I notice that the tire available in our Enclave's 18" and 19" rim sizes are H speed rated instead of the softer walled S speed rated tires that were factory mounted. This likely explains the rougher ride. But, I am still a bit surprised that the difference seems so substantial, because my replacement Hankooks are also H speed uprated without much detectable compromise to ride quality. ???

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GoldEnclave said:
dulino, those have been highly praised on this forum and some tire websites that I've perused. But, I notice that the tire available in our Enclave's 18" and 19" rim sizes are H speed rated instead of the softer walled S speed rated tires that were factory mounted. This likely explains the rougher ride. But, I am still a bit surprised that the difference seems so substantial, because my replacement Hankooks are also H speed uprated without much detectable compromise to ride quality. ???
I could just be more hypersensitive.

My wife drives the Enclave 90% of the time. I drive my Subaru. After we had a serpentine belt failure on the Enclave I am paying attention (drive myself crazy more like it) listening to every sound and every bump. I just took the Enclave for a 10 mile ride to the mall -- it's rougher than I remember it, but quiet and luxurious as always.

No worries, I just need to be a bit less paranoid. Too much negativity on some of the boards here, I have to remind myself people come here to ask for help with problems.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Give them a few weeks and some miles on them. The sidewall may soften up some as they flex and break in.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Perhaps another issue is that your other car is a Subaru. Belying their relatively basic roots, Subarus are surprisingly smooth and quiet riding, so the Enclave may not seem that much better. This might be undermining your sense of ride quality of the Enclave, especially with the slightly firmer riding H speed rated tires that you've mounted.

·
Registered
703 Posts
dulino said:
It's actually 35 psi on the driver side door. I checked this morning... Also, looked up one of the OnStar emails. Cold tires (overnight) were all at 35psi each. Yesterday was a hot day here and some where 36-37psi.
The rating on the door label is for factory-installed OEM tires. If you go with a different brand the rating may be different (and this is definitely true if you also change tire size or speed/load rating). This is where it gets tricky: Do you follow the rating label on the door or the one on the tire sidewall? There are different beliefs on this one and I can't say which is right. As an example, this discrepancy was what caused all the hubbub during the Explorer tire mess - Ford and Firestone both had different pressure ratings listed for the same tire and blamed each other saying the other ones rating was wrong.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sklunk said:
The rating on the door label is for factory-installed OEM tires. If you go with a different brand the rating may be different (and this is definitely true if you also change tire size or speed/load rating). This is where it gets tricky: Do you follow the rating label on the door or the one on the tire sidewall? There are different beliefs on this one and I can't say which is right. As an example, this discrepancy was what caused all the hubbub during the Explorer tire mess - Ford and Firestone both had different pressure ratings listed for the same tire and blamed each other saying the other ones rating was wrong.
But if I under-inflate, the on-board computer will complain and moan.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GoldEnclave said:
Perhaps another issue is that your other car is a Subaru. Belying their relatively basic roots, Subarus are surprisingly smooth and quiet riding, so the Enclave may not seem that much better. This might be undermining your sense of ride quality of the Enclave, especially with the slightly firmer riding H speed rated tires that you've mounted.
It also just so happens that my Subaru tires are almost bold and underinflated. LOL. When I come back from vacation I will replace the Scooby tires too.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
dulino said:
It also just so happens that my Subaru tires are almost bold and underinflated. LOL. When I come back from vacation I will replace the Scooby tires too.
Good idea! :thumb:

·
Registered
61 Posts
As far as the pressure is concerned the tire Manufacturer only puts the "max" pressure on the tire. The car manufacturer puts the suggested pressure on the car based on weight, ride and wear.
I think the newer tires are stiffer as they are trying to meet the higher fuel millage requirement that car manufacturers are demanding for the feds. Just my thought.
Dave

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
dulino said:
Ok, the tires are Continental Crosscontact LX20 255/60R19 109H
Should have stuck with the Michelin Latitude. Sorry to hear the discontent with the Continental's.

·
Registered
416 Posts
When it was time for my tire replacement, I expected dealer to use Michelins.

Service manager told me they are now putting Toyo's on the Enclaves when replacement is needed.

Price was comparable to Michelins.

I was skeptical, but they have been great so far.

I have put about 8000 miles on them.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
rbarrios has a set of Toyo Versado CUVs on his Traverse, and he's had nothing but good things to say about them. I would like to get more definitive feedback about snow and ice performance, however. Living in the sun belt, rbarrios can't provide that type of feedback.

·
Registered
416 Posts
For winter driving, I have Toyo snow tires on factory rims.

So when the snow does finally begin to fall again, Brrrrrrrrr .... sorry, I won't be much help.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I believe I was the first on here to buy those Continentals in May 2013. I find the ride to be good. I don't like the tires for other reasons. But ride is not one of them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts