EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i love the enclave. If it were my car though i would not get this option for running boards. They interfere with getting out if you are tall and drive with seat in way back position. My wife insisted on this option in case she wears a skirt. So if this is YOUR primary vehicle make sure you test one with running board installed. Btw i love this vehicle. First road trip this friday to finger lakes to taste wines.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I do not have running boards, but I think they look nice on the Enclave. When exiting, do you step on the running board, or step over the running board onto the ground? when getting in, do you use the running boards?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have them on my 09 , use them every day to get in and out , they also help keep snow etc.. off the sides would not be without them I live in western Canada and we get lots of snow and slush

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
i hate the way they work and like they way they look

now my kids..they love them

·
Registered
109 Posts
Had them on my 2008 and have them on my 2011. I do not find them to be a problem even though the back of my leg hits them at times. My wife uses them all the time as do the grandkids. I also like the look and that they act as mudguards for the front wheels.

I've recently been checking out Enclaves to see if they have running boards. My guess it is less than 10%.

Saw a Black Enclave down in Florida that had chrome running boards. Looked really sharp with the black and the chrome.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I had running boards on my '98 Eddie Bauer Expedition, because it was such a tall vehicle. They were really needed to get in and out, and I modified the exterior lighting on them to handle a special 921 NB bulb which had WHITE illumination and TONS of lumens to light up the runners at night. (You could almost make out a faint glow above the madding crowd of vehicles at the far end of a parking lot at night) :D

But, the Enclave isn't one of those vehicle that mandates a step to get in and out of it, unless your inseam is under 28". Women may prefer to use a step when wearing a dress, but there are ways around that too.

And yes, it will hit you in the back of the lower calf everytime you disembark if you don't use it. :angryfire:

. . Falcon

·
Registered
441 Posts
I guess I haven't seen one with running boards. Anyone have a picture?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
sciond said:
i hate the way they work and like they way they look
+1

·
Registered
150 Posts
I put them on mine and love them! I use them all the time both getting in and out, but I'm a short woman. Kids love them too, as they can climb up into the car themselves. My husband has the same complaint many of you do...he hates them. Tough...it's my car. He can drive his Honda Ridgeline if it bothers him. LOL

·
Registered
556 Posts
I would order them if they were powered or retractable like the big SUV's have, but ordered my E without. I think they were only a couple of hundred so they aren't very expensive when placing the order. The E is low enough for us that they really aren't of use, but I can see where shorter people or those with a family would appreciate them.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
silverfox said:
I think they make the vehicle look more finished, and hide the underside protusions. Here's mine:
I really like how these look and I am thinking about getting these. LOL yea the shorter ones, like me, could use an added step up into the E. :happy:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I added the molded assist steps and molding from Sportwing, as others on the forum have recommended/posted about, and couldn't be happier w/ either. The steps do take some getting used to, especially if you know getting in/out of the vehicle without them, but I feel they both compliment and complete the exterior look of the vehicle and make it look a little more SUV-like (rather than mini-van-ish). The hardest part to overcome for me was the price: after searching the web but usually getting stuck at shipping and taxes, it boiled down to getting the boards through the dealership at the cost price with a discounted install. Did the moldings myself in under an hour w/ the included supplies, a seamstress' measuring tape, and some blue painter's tape.

·
Registered
441 Posts
jmw1480 said:
I added the molded assist steps and molding from Sportwing, as others on the forum have recommended/posted about, and couldn't be happier w/ either. The steps do take some getting used to, especially if you know getting in/out of the vehicle without them, but I feel they both compliment and complete the exterior look of the vehicle and make it look a little more SUV-like (rather than mini-van-ish). The hardest part to overcome for me was the price: after searching the web but usually getting stuck at shipping and taxes, it boiled down to getting the boards through the dealership at the cost price with a discounted install. Did the moldings myself in under an hour w/ the included supplies, a seamstress' measuring tape, and some blue painter's tape.
Got Pictures?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Look at the pics in my gallery and you will see them both...side assist steps and body side moulding ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same here, my wife insisted on those running boards due to her parents having trouble boarding and getting out of the vehicle. I slipped once on those running boards because of my spiked soles. Hehe.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
I really want the running boards but husband is emphatically saying NO. :mad:

BUT I am ordering the mud flaps instead this next week and NOT telling him until I get them and have them installed. >:D

I had too much mud splash up on the Enclave over the many many weeks of rain we had here as well as all that darn red clay in Tennessee. They are still doing some major work on the road leading in to Pigeon Forge. :sosad:

EDIT: I didn't get the mud flaps ordered because I really do want the running boards. Guess I need to do some talking to convince husband to get these. I have a problem getting into the Enclave and as Matno mentioned on the Acadia board the Enclave does sit a whole inch taller than the Acadia, which would include the Outlook I would think. That one extra inch does make a difference.

·
Super Moderator
612 Posts
Do you know if they can be removed? My 2014 has them and I hate them!
If you remove them you'll be missing the stock cladding piece that has to be removed to install the running boards.

Personally I love the look of the running boards. Being tall I really only step on them when loading our ski box on the roof but I don't find it a big deal to step over them getting in and out.

Even have a thread here of my install since my E didn't come with them. Too bad photobucket is holding the pics hostage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you remove them you'll be missing the stock cladding piece that has to be removed to install the running boards.

Personally I love the look of the running boards. Being tall I really only step on them when loading our ski box on the roof but I don't find it a big deal to step over them getting in and out.

Even have a thread here of my install since my E didn't come with them. Too bad photobucket is holding the pics hostage.
I have a 2019 Enclave. The dealership charged me a whopping thousand dollars to install running boards. I hate them so much that I am considering trading in my car. I love my Enclave. I am short and 71. These boards are too narrow. Can they be replaced with wider ones by a body shop?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts