EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my 2010 E, I also purchased the Electronic Rust Inhibitor from the dealership. Part of the deal is to have it checked once a year for operability. I brought it in on 17 Dec, and they discovered that it was not working. Unfortunately they did not have any in stock. It has been two weeks now, and I still have not received a phone call from them to replace this faulty part, which means I'm driving around with no rust protection in the middle of winter in Eastern Canada. So my advice to anyone buying a new GM car: Do not waste your money at the dealership with rust protection. If I could do it all over agagin, I would take my vehicle to an independent shop and have it serviced there.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I believe that GM has a specific policy regarding that on a TSB that I once saw. I didn't think that any car produced in the last 20 years needed anything more regarding rust protection. I remember my dad talking about Ziebart or something when I was a kid. No doubt a California car will be better off than a Boston car in 10 years. i don't think any sort of rust inhibitor will change that....my .02

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I don't think Minnesota can be that far off from Canada weather wise. Yeah, there is a difference but we still use plenty of chemicals/salt on the roads here. I can't even think of the last time a dealership offered me rustproofing. Maybe I have just been fortunate.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I may be wrong, but doesn't GM warrantee their cars against rust-out for 6 years?

·
Registered
466 Posts
They warranty the rust breaking through the panel but not surface rust where stones have chipped the paint.

What is the make of your rust inhibitor?I have one on my truck and it went faulty in the summer, light stopped flashing, talked to the manufacturer who was in Toronto and went into the nearest installation dealer which was Hyundai and they swapped it out for a new one. Took no time to reinstall.

I have my car oiled once every two years and pressure wash it as soon as it is feasible.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
asgard said:
They warranty the rust breaking through the panel but not surface rust where stones have chipped the paint.

What is the make of your rust inhibitor?I have one on my truck and it went faulty in the summer, light stopped flashing, talked to the manufacturer who was in Toronto and went into the nearest installation dealer which was Hyundai and they swapped it out for a new one. Took no time to reinstall.

I have my car oiled once every two years and pressure wash it as soon as it is feasible.
It's called the AutoSaverSystem. We'll see what they say next week. Happy New Year.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
When I was a kid in Western Pennsylvania back in the 60's, dealers routinely.....as part of the pre-delivery servicing.....sprayed thick tar-based undercoating on the undercarriage and wheel wells of vehicles for corrosion-protection reasons. In fact, I distinctly remember that Chrysler actually used to offer factory undercoating as an option (though I never really knew if many people ordered it, or if that was something dealers ordered for their stock units).

Ziebart and comparable dealer-installed products, from what I recall, didn't really become popular until some years later (maybe the 70's). Their big schtick....beyond the warranties against rust-through.....supposedly was all their "special" tooling that allowed them to spray their inhibitor product into areas (such as within enclosed door cavities) that undercoating was never intended to address.

To this day, I couldn't tell you if they were worth the money or how solid their warranties were. I think my own Dad may have purchased a car or two with this treatment installed at the dealer (he never bought the Ziebart-branded product). You also could always tell someone who owned a rust-proofed car because there were colored plastic plugs stuck into the holes they drilled in the door jambs to allow spray access to those cavities.

I freely admit I've never heard of this Auto Saver product, and have no clue as to its real-world effectiveness in automotive applications. But the OEM's have been pretty vocal about the lack of any need for aftermarket rustproofing; in fact, there's a very real possibility that such treatments actually might void the factory corrosion warranty.

That's why Ziebart was forced to change its focus from rustproofing to generalized aftermarket accessories like sunroofs, pin-striping, window tinting, etc.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
asgard said:
Oiled? I've never heard the phrase as it relates to rustproofing.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wvuguy said:
When I was a kid in Western Pennsylvania back in the 60's, dealers routinely.....as part of the pre-delivery servicing.....sprayed thick tar-based undercoating on the undercarriage and wheel wells of vehicles for corrosion-protection reasons. In fact, I distinctly remember that Chrysler actually used to offer factory undercoating as an option (though I never really knew if many people ordered it, or if that was something dealers ordered for their stock units).

Ziebart and comparable dealer-installed products, from what I recall, didn't really become popular until some years later (maybe the 70's). Their big schtick....beyond the warranties against rust-through.....supposedly was all their "special" tooling that allowed them to spray their inhibitor product into areas (such as within enclosed door cavities) that undercoating was never intended to address.

To this day, I couldn't tell you if they were worth the money or how solid their warranties were. I think my own Dad may have purchased a car or two with this treatment installed at the dealer (he never bought the Ziebart-branded product). You also could always tell someone who owned a rust-proofed car because there were colored plastic plugs stuck into the holes they drilled in the door jambs to allow spray access to those cavities.

I freely admit I've never heard of this Auto Saver product, and have no clue as to its real-world effectiveness in automotive applications. But the OEM's have been pretty vocal about the lack of any need for aftermarket rustproofing; in fact, there's a very real possibility that such treatments actually might void the factory corrosion warranty.

That's why Ziebart was forced to change its focus from rustproofing to generalized aftermarket accessories like sunroofs, pin-striping, window tinting, etc.
Most people in Eastern Canada rust proof their cars one way or another. I honestly have no idea if this product works or not either; but, it definitely won't void the factory warranty. In my case, it is offered, installed and maintained by the GM dealership. My rant isn't with the actual product, but rather with the dealership's lack of service. Happy New Year.

·
Registered
248 Posts
A drip-free oil undecoating every couple of years can't hurt; anything to fight the rust from road salt in our winter climates! I say why not, unless you trade in your vehicle every couple of years. I've had vehicles last up to 20 years without rusting out by doing this. :shrug:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
silverfox said:
A drip-free oil undecoating every couple of years can't hurt; anything to fight the rust from road salt in our winter climates! I say why not, unless you trade in your vehicle every couple of years. I've had vehicles last up to 20 years without rusting out by doing this. :shrug:
I agree. I think next fall, I'll get it done, regardless of whether or not the electronic thing is working or not. It's what I used to do with cars. Happy New Year.

·
Registered
532 Posts
DO NOT BUY dealer-applied OR independent rustproofing. I bought a new '87 GMC conversion van rustproofed with Mr. Goodwrench rustproofing by the dealer--which was the same dealer that did the conversion--Frascona Buick in Milwaukee, WI.

The paint bubbled from rust around the side windows when the van was two years old. I visited the dealer and was told it wouldn't be eligible for repair until a hole developed from rust THROUGH the sheet metal. About six months later, there were several holes around the windows. I visited the dealer and was told that since it was a conversion van with windows installed by someone other than the factory, the warranty on rust-through was invalid.

Keep in mind this was GM Mr. Goodwrench rustproofing applied by the dealer I bought the van from AND the dealer that did the van conversion. They were more than happy to take my $200 for the Mr. Goodwrench rustproofing when I took delivery of the van, but failed to honor the warranty that was part of the $200 cost. If I remember correctly, the fine print said that if rust repairs exceed the cost of the rustproofing the difference would be my responsibility. Bottom line, I paid a local body shop to repair the rust holes and repaint the areas as needed--A LOT more than $200. What a crock!

Talk to others that have had rust problems with Ziebart, Mr. Goodwrench, or others. You will hear similar stories to mine. I don't believe anyone has ever had rust repaired under a rustproofing warranty and was satisfied the problem was handled properly. If you've heard of someone who has, I'd like to hear details.

Read the manufacturer's rust warranty before you do anything pertaining to added rustproofing!!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
silverfox said:
A drip-free oil undercoating every couple of years can't hurt
I'm with zman; I've absolutely never heard of an oil undercoating/rustproofing (drip-free or otherwise)......tell us more about it.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
I have not bothered with rust proofing since...let me think....having it put on my 1976 Plymouth which I purchased new. Haven't had any issues with rust at all. Several of my vehicles between then and now had nearly 100,000 miles on them and not a speck of rust.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I owned an '02 Olds Integrity which I had bought new. After 3 years, and 35,000 miles, a friend of mine bought it from me. He kept the car until about 6 months ago and sold it. It had about 170,000 miles on it, was about 10 years old, never garage-parked, driven on salted roads in NYC, Pa, NJ, and Conn, and when he sold it there wasn't a sign of rust anywhere. Now, maybe if the car had been driven in Buffalo it would have been a different story, but in this area it only had whatever rust-proofing GM had provided.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
KCorey said:
I owned an '02 Olds Integrity Intrigue which I had bought new. After 3 years, and 35,000 miles, a friend of mine bought it from me. He kept the car until about 6 months ago and sold it. It had about 170,000 miles on it, was about 10 years old, never garage-parked, driven on salted roads in NYC, Pa, NJ, and Conn, and when he sold it there wasn't a sign of rust anywhere. Now, maybe if the car had been driven in Buffalo it would have been a different story, but in this area it only had whatever rust-proofing GM had provided.
I had a 1998 Olds Intrigue for 8 years, and there was never any sign or rust anywhere, even on the body panels that were replaced after a significant accident.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I had a 1998 Olds Intrigue for 8 years, and there was never any sign or rust anywhere, even on the body panels that were replaced after a significant accident.
I was a huge fan of that car; pretty well-built, good power and better handling, nice (particularly in leather) Aurora-inspired interior, and at all not bad to look at outside. National Car Rental used to have them on the Emerald Isle pretty frequently back in the 90's, and I distinctly recall thinking that'd be a car I'd definitely consider owning at some point if I needed a new daily driver.

Never ended up happening for me (I admit I bought an Accord in the interim).....then Olds got killed......and then :facepalm:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
wvuguy said:
I was a huge fan of that car; pretty well-built, good power and better handling, nice (particularly in leather) Aurora-inspired interior, and at all not bad to look at outside. National Car Rental used to have them on the Emerald Isle pretty frequently back in the 90's, and I distinctly recall thinking that'd be a car I'd definitely consider owning at some point if I needed a new daily driver.

Never ended up happening for me (I admit I bought an Accord in the interim).....then Olds got killed......and then :facepalm:
I loved that car. As you've already stated more or less, it had a pleasing balance of power, handling, amenities, style (especially in leather ;) ), and dependability. I was considering replacing my 1998 with a 2006, but there was no such thing, because the last MY was a 2002 due to the demise of Oldsmobile.

I think that making a "nostalgia line" would be an interesting idea for GM, with some revisited versions of models from sacrificed brands, such as the Oldsmobile Intrigue and Pontiac G8. After all, Chrysler is making a HUGE comeback with new versions of nostalgic models. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
12 Participants
sailfish
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing