EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Jake_99

I'm seriously thinking about installing an IPOD controller and your reviews were right on the money. I also like the Schosche IPOD Controller (AXIPGMLAN). Your install pics were very good. Just wondering how much of a bear the install was. How much IPOD cable was left after running it to the console? Any additional tips would be appreciated. Found a few on ebay for about $140.00 plus shipping. Thanks for a reply.

GMF101

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Scosche IPOD Controller (AXIPGMLAN) Review

Yeah,

I know I had paid too much after the fact (I bought straight from Scosche) - but I probably got the latest/greatest by doing so. The one's on EBAY may be the older design (as seen in the Scosche web video) but I don't know if that matters. The Scosche firmware on mine is v5.xx something.

I know the IPOD cable (~20+ft) was long enough to reach the upper dash box on my Acadia and I have about 1-2ft of slack stashed within/under the center console compartment. Not sure if Enclave has the upper dash compartment (right on top of the center vents). I believe the left over was long enough to avoid the "under the driver seat" routing I chose. You might be able to get to center console by running it to the front of the vehicle, around the front carpet, and then back down to the center console.

With that said, you could also probably house the IPOD in the glove box too.

All my cables visible in the photos of the center console are long enough for either front passenger to hold the IPOD while still connected to the cables. I felt this was necessary for video use since you can't select/start the IPOD videos via the NAV unit. I don't know if the new route I mention above will provide for this, but for all three of the cables routed into the center console, I have plenty (1.5ft +) of excess cable "unused". The unused cable was the biggest challenge of the install. My fingers got a we bit sore hiding the left over cable.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks Jake_99

The Enclave has the dash top box and that is where I would like to have it. Looked at xm tuner location and it seems it might be a bit of a challenge to connect IPOD controller. Running the IPOD cable doesn't seem too difficult. I'm tired or waiting for GM to come out with their PAL. I opted for the standard xm radio without the nav screen so I'll only be installing the IPOD controller.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Jake_99

This may sound stupid but I have not read if the AXIPGMLAN charges the IPOD when connected. I'm assuming it does but we all know what happens when you assume.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does charge while connected. It has the "AC" power symbol (vs battery use) displayed on the IPOD. You can see this while in manual mode. I fail to remember what the "scosche lockout" screen looks like though - and whether or not it shows on that screen as well. The IPOD Lockpick had a "Lockpick" lockout screen shown on the IPOD when it was attached.

Although wrong thread, but when using the IPOD with the GMX-320 for video, the NAV actually displays the power symbol (battery symbol) with current power status of the IPOD- upon video startup - on the NAV screen. I wonder if that pops back up at low power...I don't know if this is a "GMXism" or an "IPODism" when using and external monitor/source. Nice to know though. When using the IPOD Classic, I have to remove the IPOD from the Scosche cable since the Classic video cables require the 30 pin connection. This also forces me to either go off battery or use the USB cable that comes with the Classice composite cable. Fortunately, I had an IPOD lighter adapter from my previous IPOD (adapter has female USB connection).

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks jake_99, I'll probably be ordering it this week.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Jake_99 Many thx for your effort and sharing! Great pix and nice job.
This is what makes this forum so valuable :thumb:

PS....I keep anti-bac wipes in the Clave too! those shopping cart handles are nasty :angryfire:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My wife's a nurse...and I have two slobbering tikes...and two dogs...the kids slober more...

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Jake_99 said:
My wife's a nurse...and I have two slobbering tikes...and two dogs...the kids slober more...
Yeah, but the dogs eat each other's poop... :thumb:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, but they're smart enough not to play with it and color the walls with it...My oldest (27 months) has learned to take her diaper off. I'm waiting for the poop paintings any day now!! Fortunately, she can't get to it in the car - or give it to her 9 month old sister!

TMI...TMI...TMI...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just received the Axipgmlan and I don"t understand why you have to disconnect the 30 pin cable on the IPOD classic?? Is that so you can watch videos? The Axipgmlan has a 30 pin cable in the box. Do I only use that for music and diconnect to watch videos on another input?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In order to "remotely" control any IPOD you need to connect to the IPOD using the 30-pin connector.

The Scosche device, along with the IPOD Lockpick (and soon...2 years later than advertised...the PAL) are "remote" control devices for the IPOD. You need to use the 30 pin connector cable that is provided with the Scosche device in order to control your IPOD from your Radio (ie remote location).

What is different on the IPOD Classic is how you can get video "OUT" from the IPOD. Previous versions of IPODs combined the top IPOD input to get audio and video "out". This "output" connection on the IPOD Classic only provides audio - it no longer is video capable. Apple created a proprietary chip in their Classic video cables which is required to get video external from the IPOD Classic's screen. If the IPOD Classic does not "see" the proprietary chip connected, the IPOD provides a screen telling you to connect the appropriate cable. Apple has essentially killed the 3rd party cable market for video applications. What used to be a $14 cable is now a $45 dollar cable you need to purchase. I had a Sony camcorder and the cables they provided could also be used on the older video IPODs (you just had to switch the red/yellow composite connectors).

You can also transmit (and receive for that matter) audio/video from the 30 pin connector which is why IPOD docking stations are able to work. For the IPOD Classic, it is the ONLY way you can transmit video externally. If I had known this in advance of buying my wife her classic, I would have opted for the 5.5G version instead.

If you want to project any videos from your IPOD Classic onto an external screen (like your NAV), you need to connect the IPOD Classic video cable - which can only be connected to the 30-pin port on the IPOD. Since there is only one 30 pin connector on the IPOD, that requires you to remove the Scosche 30-pin cable and replace it with the Apple video cable.

One nice thing on the Classic is you can rent videos and display in HD (with a video component cable...another $45...). Apple doesn't provide the ability to rent videos on earlier IPOD version (5.5G or before). You have to purchase the product on early video ipods.

FYI, if you've seen my gallery shots, you'll note I reference two different IPODS. I also have a 5G video IPOD (ah, so did my wife...until she lost hers...). When I use my 5G, I don't have to disconnect the Scocshe cable since I can project video via the top IPOD port. So, I have the GMX-320 set with one video cable for my 5G IPOD, and a second video cable installed for my wife's Classic. Because the Classic is 160G and my 5G is maxed at 60G, more than likely I will be using my wife's IPOD for videos. What I can do with my 5G IPOD is display photos via the IPOD's slideshow feature - and play music (and the optional TV sitcom).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jake99...I have removed my tire jack.....which box is the XM box????...I see 3--one on the tire hump..one small silver box near the bottom.. and a big silver box at the top near the side fender of the vehicle. Hard to tell from your photos which one you plugged into.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The XM box is the one in the way back above the tire hump (farthest away from the rear compartment openning).

It's hard to remove the connector. You first have to pull the blue tab DOWN. You can move it pretty far. Once the blue tab is released, you may be able to remove the connector by pulling it down while pressing the release on the connector. I couldn't get the connector all the way removed because of the plastic (rubber) cutout in the side molding restricted full release. It took me too long to figure out that you can just push the plastic in (it rebounds back into position). Same applies with putting in the AXIPGMLAN harness connector in it's place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I see one closest to the side fender well with a yellow antenna looking plug and a black harness--it is mounted high above the opening behind the other silver bigger box which is in front of it ---I just don't want to disconnect the wrong thing. On the wheel hum itself is a silver box with a heat sink---I figured that could not be it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
pj97 said:
I see one closest to the side fender well with a yellow antenna looking plug and a black harness--it is mounted high above the opening behind the other silver bigger box which is in front of it ---I just don't want to disconnect the wrong thing. On the wheel hum itself is a silver box with a heat sink---I figured that could not be it.
It's not the one in front.

Anyway, you're not going to break anything by disconnecting the wrong one. The connector to the wrong unit probably will not be the same one as the XM unit. Just reconnect and choose the right one (which is the one in the back).

·
Registered
200 Posts
jake99

I finally got around to installing the Schoshe IPOD Controller I bought back in April and want to thank you for your review and insight on the install. It's everything you said it was. Sounds great and easy to use.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Jake_99

I know I said I had installed the Schosche IPOD Controller (AXIPGMLAN) in my last post to you. I neglected to say I had not hidden the Ipod connection cable. I thought I would wait until I got back to NJ. Ran cable over weekend. The Ipod cable ends in the slot alongside the 12V power connector under the rear hatch switch. It is completely hidden and the install took twenty minutes.

I started by removing the bezel around the radio and the bezel around center console (wood grain). They snap out. (It helped that my neighbor's son had worked for a Saturn dealership for a short while and he gave positive imput.) This allows you access to the two screws holding the 12V outlet and rear hatch switch etc. cluster. Removed cluster, did not have to disconnect wires, and drilled hole to accomodate the round connector that goes to XM box. Placed round head connector end into hole and ran wire alongside radio to driver's side firewall, under firewall carpeting to plastic trim under parking brake pedal. Continued rearward under plastic door jamb trims to driver's side rear seatbelt floor connector. Removed driver's side rear drink holder. Wire continued under trim behind seat belt bolt, over wheel well to XM box. I did not have to remove any trim to facillitate this.

Once again I tip my hat to you for your help. Just thought I'd add my two cents for any other members wanting to try this.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts