EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago, I took my 2012 Enclave into the dealer to remove a foul odor that was emitting from my vents when my AC was on. During the process of injecting a cleaning & deodorizing agent into the car, apparently the fan blew some of the agent into the cabin and all over my passenger side leather seat. The chemical didn't erode or eat into the leather but left lots of filmy stains on the seat. As dirt began to accumulate over time, the stain spots became dark and more pronounced.

I tried using different leather cleaning products but none of them worked. I took it back to the dealer and they tried a substance, but that didn't work either. They had to order me a new leather skin for my seat, but this scared me as I was afraid that the new skin may not be installed correctly and I'd eventually be back at the dealer to correct issues with the leather seat assembly. I saw on another forum where someone used scrubbing bubbles (yes...the same stuff used to clean your bathroom) on seat stains and it worked for them. I thought about how scrubbing bubbles works, and I tried it (with a scrub brush) on my seats and IT WORKED. I sprayed the scrubbing bubbles on my leather seat, let it set for 10-15 seconds and then scrubbed the stains out with the scrub brush. It did take some elbow grease (and a couple of applications) but the seats were very durable and were not damaged at all.

After removing the scrubbing bubbles residue, I applied a leather cleaner & conditioner to the seat and it looked just like new. I called the dealer and told them to return the skin as it was no longer needed. They were quite surprised that a bathroom cleaner removed the chemical stains.

I thought that this would be something that others with hard to remove stains on their leather seats could benefit from.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
D_Richardson said:
A few months ago, I took my 2012 Enclave into the dealer to remove a foul odor that was emitting from my vents when my AC was on. During the process of injecting a cleaning & deodorizing agent into the car, apparently the fan blew some of the agent into the cabin and all over my passenger side leather seat. The chemical didn't erode or eat into the leather but left lots of filmy stains on the seat. As dirt began to accumulate over time, the stain spots became dark and more pronounced.

I tried using different leather cleaning products but none of them worked. I took it back to the dealer and they tried a substance, but that didn't work either. They had to order me a new leather skin for my seat, but this scared me as I was afraid that the new skin may not be installed correctly and I'd eventually be back at the dealer to correct issues with the leather seat assembly. I saw on another forum where someone used scrubbing bubbles (yes...the same stuff used to clean your bathroom) on seat stains and it worked for them. I thought about how scrubbing bubbles works, and I tried it (with a scrub brush) on my seats and IT WORKED. I sprayed the scrubbing bubbles on my leather seat, let it set for 10-15 seconds and then scrubbed the stains out with the scrub brush. It did take some elbow grease (and a couple of applications) but the seats were very durable and were not damaged at all.

After removing the scrubbing bubbles residue, I applied a leather cleaner & conditioner to the seat and it looked just like new. I called the dealer and told them to return the skin as it was no longer needed. They were quite surprised that a bathroom cleaner removed the chemical stains.

I thought that this would be something that others with hard to remove stains on their leather seats could benefit from.
On my 1998 Nissan, they cut the faux leather removing the plastic, and so the seat cover was replaced. About 3 mos later the seat back began falling off, to no avail after repeated trips back. Then, the side airbag module needed two replacements, and failed again out of warranty. IMHO you made a very good decision to not let the dealer touch your seat cover. :thumb:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just make sure to recondition the leather with a good leather conditioning product after using such a harsh chemical on it. Leather is just like your skin, you have to keep it moisturized to keep it in its best shape.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would never use Scrubbing Bubbles or any similar product on leather seats. Many contain bleach. Modern Leather seats have a clear coat and have to be cleaned gently with no heavy scrubbing or coarse towels. Most likely the stains on the seat was clearcoat damage.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No damage has been done to my seats from using scrubbing bubbles, and it's been almost three years ago. There has not been any discoloration, fading, etc. of my seats, and I since regularly cleaned and conditioned my seats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts