EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#10243: Product Safety - Second Row Safety Belt Interference When Seat Back Returned to Upright Position - (Aug 16, 2010)

Subject: 10243 - Second Row Safety Belt Interference When Seat Back Returned to Upright Position

Models: 2009-2010 Buick Enclave

2009-2010 Chevrolet Traverse

2009-2010 GMC Acadia

2009-2010 Saturn OUTLOOK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2009-2010 model year Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia, and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles. These vehicles may have a condition where the second row seat side trim shield restricts the upward rotation of the safety belt buckle when the seat back is returned to a seating position after being folded flat. If the buckle contacts the seat frame, additional effort is required to return the seat to a seating position. If sufficient force is applied, the buckle cover could be pushed down the strap, exposing and partially depressing the red release button. As a result, the release button will not travel as much as designed when depressed and will appear to be jammed. The buckle cover may have visible damage which may only be cosmetic, but in some cases, the buckle may not latch/unlatch, or may appear to latch when the latch mechanism is not fully engaged. As a result, the safety belt may not restrain the occupant as intended during a crash, which could result in injury to the occupant.

Correction
Dealers/retailers are to modify the second row seat side trim shields. If a safety belt buckle is damaged, dealers are to replace it.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2009-2010 model year Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia, and Saturn Outlook vehicles built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

Buick
Enclave
9J100418
9J220490

Buick
Enclave
AJ100039
AJ257833

Chevrolet
Traverse
9S100067
9S182081

Chevrolet
Traverse
AJ137803
AJ257836

AS100001
AS156635

GMC
Acadia
9J100098
9J220486

GMC
Acadia
AJ100037
AJ257835

Saturn
OUTLOOK
9J100338
9J220491

Saturn
OUTLOOK
AJ100038
AJ210898

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
:thumb:

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Nothing in there does it state that it's bench seat or captain's chair models, but according to this, it's the BENCH seat models only that are affected, but I have not confirmed this myself:

PaPas Truck said:
On the seat belt issue and the very recent recall - I had gotten the impression that the recall just announced for the second row seatbelt applied only to the bench seat second rows. I was in for my second oil change and a tire rotation this morning before I start my first "road trip" of any length, and asked that my service department verify that. They did confirm to me that the problem was only with the second row bench seats. My gerat concern was for two great-grandsons who both ride frequently with me in their car seats placed in the Captains chairs. Other than that it would be most infrequent for anyone to be in the second row. And my third row stays pretty much permanently folded down.

I realize this is not the thread originally started for the recall problem, just thought to add it here.
Mine is within the vin break downs AND I have the bench seat. :banghead:

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my Vin is also within the 2010 breakdown- I too have bench.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am in the breakdown and I have captain seats.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I'm within the breakdown and I have the captain chairs.

CT

·
Registered
881 Posts
My dealer did tell me that the seat belt issue was only for the second row bench seat. However, it probably would be a good idea for others in the VIN range and with Captains Seats verify with their dealers. It would not be the first time that incorrect information comes from a service desk (and I do not imply deliberate misinformation). Mistakes happen. I have sure made mine! But, not in the purchase of an Enclave!!!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
C Traz said:
I'm within the breakdown and I have the captain chairs.
Ditto

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Still no letter in the mail, and still shows "0" recalls on mygmlink. Just curious, has anyone got their letter in the mail yet, or have we just heard about this via the media and the forums? I'm going to try calling Buick in a little bit here. I'll report back....

EDIT: Just called Buick, and the automated thing says "no open recalls for your vehicle". We'll see, but I suspect it's still coming....

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
kids, +1. I'm sure the letter will come soon as I am affected as well.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
cableguy said:
kids, +1. I'm sure the letter will come soon as I am affected as well.
Perhaps, but mygmlink (gm owner center) still shows "0" recalls for my Enclave, and no e-mails from Onstar telling us of the recall, so I see no need for gm link or Onstar vehicle e-mails if they don't alert us any sooner than the letter in the mail. AND, if the letter IS coming, for sure it should show up on the other sites as well, so I'm really following this. There will be a phone call to someone if I get a letter and it still shows "0" recalls, OR if I get the letter same day sort of thing. Whole point to the gm link (gm owner center...sorry, I still call it by the first name it was before they changed it ::)) is to alert us sooner than snail mail. Anyone agree with this?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was just in having the new steering gear installed for the rubbing noise and asked about the recall. The service advisor knew nothing about it, looked it up, and said that there is no recall. My VIN will be part of it, so I guess I'll be getting it done at my next oil change after the letter comes.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
hawkeye said:
I was just in having the new steering gear installed for the rubbing noise and asked about the recall. The service advisor knew nothing about it, looked it up, and said that there is no recall. My VIN will be part of it, so I guess I'll be getting it done at my next oil change after the letter comes.
If there's no letter by now, I doubt the recall includes us who have not yet been notified. This recall was announced on the 17th of this month, and I would assume that all have been notified by now.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
kidsenclave said:
If there's no letter by now, I doubt the recall includes us who have not yet been notified. This recall was announced on the 17th of this month, and I would assume that all have been notified by now.
Really?

That 10V-375 document stated that the anticipated notification dates for those 200,000+ vehicles involved in the safety recall were 8/24/2010 for the dealer bulletins, and a start date for customer mailings would follow on 8/31/2010. Unless that was changed, the mailings wouldn't have begun until today.

The wheels of justice turn slowly. (or, any of its other variants) :)

. . Falcon

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
FalconEddy said:
Really?

That 10V-375 document stated that the anticipated notification dates for those 200,000+ vehicles involved in the safety recall were 8/24/2010 for the dealer bulletins, and a start date for customer mailings would follow on 8/31/2010. Unless that was changed, the mailings wouldn't have begun until today.

The wheels of justice turn slowly. (or, any of its other variants) :)

. . Falcon
OK, well today is the 31st and the GM owner center still shows "0" recalls on my vehicle. Anyone else check theirs? If the mailings start today, then the owner center should show a recall today. (Or is this too much to expect)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Received recall letter today

I received my recall letter from Buick today (9/2/10). Safety recall 10243. Guess I'll be making a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Re: Received recall letter today

izzycohen said:
I received my recall letter from Buick today (9/2/10). Safety recall 10243. Guess I'll be making a trip to the dealer.
bench or captain's chairs?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
14 Participants
chumster
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing