EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Wow, THAT'S an odd one. Seems like an unexpected weak spot in the plastic molding...wonder if it's widespread.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
No, WOW....that almost looks like a knife was taken to it. I wouldn't think a seatbelt under normal use could cut into that thick molded plastic. Are you sure you weren't in an accident? I guess the shear force of inertia in a collision could cause the belt to cut into the plastic like that, but can't figure out how that could happen with normal use.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I had never noticed this before but ours is actually doing that same, but not to that extreme yet. I'll keep an eye on it. It is almost as though the radius on the plastic piece is too small. I think a more generous radius in that corner may have lessened the chance of that happening.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Wow, is that the front drivers seat? It looks like the plastic is weak? Keep us posted.

·
Registered
509 Posts
zman said:
I had never noticed this before but ours is actually doing that same, but not to that extreme yet. I'll keep an eye on it. It is almost as though the radius on the plastic piece is too small. I think a more generous radius in that corner may have lessened the chance of that happening.
Hmm...well, at least we know it isn't just one person. Wonder what the bug is, aside from a weak spot.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I tried to see where the seatbelt would have to be to make that sort of cut on my Enclave. With the adjuster all the way up, the seatbelt is in an "unatural" position to fit in that cut, too much up and out so to speak. I have a hard time understanding how just normal day to day use could make such a cut. Is the adjuster usually all the way up? ???

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feed back. :cheers:

The Clave hasn't been in an accident, the adjuster is all the way up. The only thing I can think of besides the plastic being too thin is that I lean forward alot and turn to look at the kids.

This should be covered under the bumper to bumper....right?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Nam68 said:

The Clave hasn't been in an accident, the adjuster is all the way up. The only thing I can think of besides the plastic being too thin is that I lean forward alot and turn to look at the kids.

If not, I would be P.O. Are you turning around to threaten them with , "if you kids don't be quiet, I will turn this car right around and we will go back home, we don't need to go on this vacation!"

·
Registered
360 Posts
Nam68 said:

nam68, have your wife or somebody look at the seatbelt when you are in that "looking at the kids" position to see if that is it. I would hope that Buick would do something for you. :thumb:

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm experiencing the exact same wear pattern. The belt is cutting into the plastic every time I pull the belt forward to buckle it when I get in the vehicle. The nylon belt is acting like a saw blade on the plastic, and I'm sure it will only continue to cut into the bracket. Also, if I lean forward to reach the dash controls the belt rubs the bracket in a different place and is wearing it there, but not as severely. It is a more rounded wearing away of the plastic. This is very noticeable after only 3,000 miles. This is unacceptable, since after time the belt will cut deeply into the plastic and probably start binding in the cut.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just looked at mine. There is a little abrasion, but I only have 1000 miles on so far. It looks like the seatbelt is set at the top position at the factory. Lowering it some would appear to lessen or eliminate this abrasion problem. Give it a try.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Wow, this would definitely be a safety issue and I bet we'll see a recall real fast! If the seat belt cuts into the plastic far enough, it will get caught in the plastic and possible not work properly in a collision. Who are our GM contacts so we can make them aware of the problem? :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yeah...and I just read about the same thing on the Acadia board, so it isn't limited to just one or two, it seems.

There's definitely a material issue, mainly softness in the wrong spot, and this is going to need remedied.

·
Registered
525 Posts
zeeker said:
I just looked at mine. There is a little abrasion, but I only have 1000 miles on so far. It looks like the seatbelt is set at the top position at the factory. Lowering it some would appear to lessen or eliminate this abrasion problem. Give it a try.
Tried lowering the adjuster, but I think that just makes it worse. :(

·
Registered
134 Posts
:( 4,500 miles and mine is doing the same thing! It is caused by the action of pulling out the belt to buckle it.
It would probably be prudent to let the dealer fix this ... however ... you could use a small round (rat tail) file to raise the slot 1/4" or so. The belt should then clear the top of the slot.
;D Beats disassembling the entire seatbelt assembly to replace that cover!

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I will be checking it as soon as I get home from this trip .

·
Registered
509 Posts
newtobuick said:
:( 4,500 miles and mine is doing the same thing! It is caused by the action of pulling out the belt to buckle it.
It would probably be prudent to let the dealer fix this ... however ... you could use a small round (rat tail) file to raise the slot 1/4" or so. The belt should then clear the top of the slot.
;D Beats disassembling the entire seatbelt assembly to replace that cover!
Interesting idea. Something will have to be done, and if/as this starts becoming a more frequent problem reported at dealers, GM will have to come up with something--if they haven't already.

G

·
caddycruiser said:
Interesting idea. Something will have to be done, and if/as this starts becoming a more frequent problem reported at dealers, GM will have to come up with something--if they haven't already.

my way to fix it, is to not ware my seat belt, works every time. :cheers:

·
Registered
208 Posts
I saw that on the Acadia Forums as well and found it to be a rather poorly designed seatbelt - I have never seen that happen in any of my cars. I think more and more will see this happen. This is unfortunate.

Thunder, with your driving style, I would stick to wearing your seatbelt whether it is causing damage or not! We don't want YOU damaged!

1 - 20 of 209 Posts