EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

Seatbelt causing damage to casement.

52K views 208 replies 42 participants last post by  kidsenclave 
#1 ·
Is anyone else having this problem?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, THAT'S an odd one. Seems like an unexpected weak spot in the plastic molding...wonder if it's widespread.

#3 ·
No, WOW....that almost looks like a knife was taken to it. I wouldn't think a seatbelt under normal use could cut into that thick molded plastic. Are you sure you weren't in an accident? I guess the shear force of inertia in a collision could cause the belt to cut into the plastic like that, but can't figure out how that could happen with normal use.

#4 ·
I had never noticed this before but ours is actually doing that same, but not to that extreme yet. I'll keep an eye on it. It is almost as though the radius on the plastic piece is too small. I think a more generous radius in that corner may have lessened the chance of that happening.

#6 ·
zman said:
I had never noticed this before but ours is actually doing that same, but not to that extreme yet. I'll keep an eye on it. It is almost as though the radius on the plastic piece is too small. I think a more generous radius in that corner may have lessened the chance of that happening.
Hmm...well, at least we know it isn't just one person. Wonder what the bug is, aside from a weak spot.

#7 ·
I tried to see where the seatbelt would have to be to make that sort of cut on my Enclave. With the adjuster all the way up, the seatbelt is in an "unatural" position to fit in that cut, too much up and out so to speak. I have a hard time understanding how just normal day to day use could make such a cut. Is the adjuster usually all the way up? ???

#8 ·
Thanks for all the feed back. :cheers:

The Clave hasn't been in an accident, the adjuster is all the way up. The only thing I can think of besides the plastic being too thin is that I lean forward alot and turn to look at the kids.

This should be covered under the bumper to bumper....right?

#9 ·
Nam68 said:

The Clave hasn't been in an accident, the adjuster is all the way up. The only thing I can think of besides the plastic being too thin is that I lean forward alot and turn to look at the kids.

If not, I would be P.O. Are you turning around to threaten them with , "if you kids don't be quiet, I will turn this car right around and we will go back home, we don't need to go on this vacation!"

#10 ·
Nam68 said:

nam68, have your wife or somebody look at the seatbelt when you are in that "looking at the kids" position to see if that is it. I would hope that Buick would do something for you. :thumb:

#11 ·
I'm experiencing the exact same wear pattern. The belt is cutting into the plastic every time I pull the belt forward to buckle it when I get in the vehicle. The nylon belt is acting like a saw blade on the plastic, and I'm sure it will only continue to cut into the bracket. Also, if I lean forward to reach the dash controls the belt rubs the bracket in a different place and is wearing it there, but not as severely. It is a more rounded wearing away of the plastic. This is very noticeable after only 3,000 miles. This is unacceptable, since after time the belt will cut deeply into the plastic and probably start binding in the cut.

#13 ·
Wow, this would definitely be a safety issue and I bet we'll see a recall real fast! If the seat belt cuts into the plastic far enough, it will get caught in the plastic and possible not work properly in a collision. Who are our GM contacts so we can make them aware of the problem? :)

#14 ·
Yeah...and I just read about the same thing on the Acadia board, so it isn't limited to just one or two, it seems.

There's definitely a material issue, mainly softness in the wrong spot, and this is going to need remedied.

#15 ·
zeeker said:
I just looked at mine. There is a little abrasion, but I only have 1000 miles on so far. It looks like the seatbelt is set at the top position at the factory. Lowering it some would appear to lessen or eliminate this abrasion problem. Give it a try.
Tried lowering the adjuster, but I think that just makes it worse. :(

#16 ·
:( 4,500 miles and mine is doing the same thing! It is caused by the action of pulling out the belt to buckle it.
It would probably be prudent to let the dealer fix this ... however ... you could use a small round (rat tail) file to raise the slot 1/4" or so. The belt should then clear the top of the slot.
;D Beats disassembling the entire seatbelt assembly to replace that cover!

#18 ·
newtobuick said:
:( 4,500 miles and mine is doing the same thing! It is caused by the action of pulling out the belt to buckle it.
It would probably be prudent to let the dealer fix this ... however ... you could use a small round (rat tail) file to raise the slot 1/4" or so. The belt should then clear the top of the slot.
;D Beats disassembling the entire seatbelt assembly to replace that cover!
Interesting idea. Something will have to be done, and if/as this starts becoming a more frequent problem reported at dealers, GM will have to come up with something--if they haven't already.

G
#19 ·
caddycruiser said:
Interesting idea. Something will have to be done, and if/as this starts becoming a more frequent problem reported at dealers, GM will have to come up with something--if they haven't already.

my way to fix it, is to not ware my seat belt, works every time. :cheers:

#20 ·
I saw that on the Acadia Forums as well and found it to be a rather poorly designed seatbelt - I have never seen that happen in any of my cars. I think more and more will see this happen. This is unfortunate.

Thunder, with your driving style, I would stick to wearing your seatbelt whether it is causing damage or not! We don't want YOU damaged!

G
#21 ·
i have been there and done that, when i was 17, i was in the hosiptal for 3 weeks with a broken lower back and neck after i toatled my dads 03 50th aniversery corvette, nice car, but no its not like the general lee in the movie. :eek:

acully it was not my fault, i was sided by an idiot who ran the red light.

#22 ·
I just looked at mine with 4000 miles on the vehicle and could see nothing. I played with the seat adjustment and I could see where it rubs when the seat is slid futher towards the steering wheel than either my wife or I drive. I didn't try the seat up/down adjustments, might also come into play.

Wayne

#23 ·
;D I just tried my own idea and it seems to work:
Use a round (rat tail) file to lengthen the top of the slot where the damage is occuring. File away the damaged area. About 1/4" should do it to start. If it continues to happen, you can repeat as needed. Unless the driver is particularly short, keep the slide in the topmost position.

Disclaimer: This poster not responsible for damage done using the above solution! ;)

G
#25 ·
Mama2Girls said:
Thunder, that is bad. You could have died. What would we have ever done without you???

im not alowed to respond to this any more. so back on topic

i think the best way to avoid the damage is to watch when pulling out the seat belt and make sure it does not rub up agenst the casement until gm finds a fix for that, until then i put a packing peanut up there to stop the rubbing temporarily.

#26 ·
im not alowed to respond to this any more. so back on topic
Huh? Not allowed to respond to me, to get off topic in general, or you are done discussing the mistakes of your wild and reckless teenage years?

Back on Topic: It is poorly designed. Period. I thought this from the first time I got inside an Acadia. I am sorry, but a $35,000 - $40,000 car should not have the seat belt coming out of what is essentially a hole in the pillar liner. And the solution should not have to be to "take a file to it" to make the hole bigger. It should have some sort of apparatus that moves the belt away from the pillar where it swivels on a hinge. This is what it looks like both in my cars....one is a 1998, one is a 2007. You know what make they are. I have 120,000 miles on the 98 and no tear in the pillar from the seat belt. I have 1450 miles on the 2007. Of course nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.