EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what is used a sensor to supply the information to compute range and fuel use?

I filled the tank as full as possible (really "nursed" the nozzle to get it full). The DIC shows fuel used as 5 gals but the gas gauge has yet to move off the full mark. Wondering if the same sensor that drives the gas gauge also is used to compute fuel used and range?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I believe there are actually two things here. The gauge uses a float in the tank hooked to a resister. When the tank is "very full", the value can only go so high and is unable to show change until some gas is used out of the tank. That is why there are no changes in the gauge for several gallons.

The DIC is calculating mileage, fuel used, etc. is based on actual amount of gas that passes through the system in association with the vehicle speed, etc. I don't believe the gas guage comes into play for these calculations. Range maybe the exception. That's my understanding of how these work at least.

·
Registered
249 Posts
xrayman is correct about the fuel gauge. I also overfilled mine (without overflowing) and the gauge only stayed exactly on "F". It took a while for the gauge to go down. It's not like the old cars where the gauge can go farther than it should.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts