EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me introduce you to Serenity. A Sheltie from the rescue group I belong to.

She is 18 months old and is a double merle (coloring due to improper breeding) and is deaf. She knows some hand signals and I will be working on teaching her more.

By improper breeding is when a breeder tries to breed out all the colors of a Sheltie and come up with a pure white one. The majority of the time, close to 100%, you will end up with a Sheltie which is either deaf or blind or even both. My husband and I helped transport 2 Shelties over 2 years ago which were almost perfectly white. The male was both deaf and blind. His sister was deaf and could only see some movement in bright light.

This has been known for years but there are some people out there just roll the dice and when they ended up with a deaf, blind Sheltie they either destroy them or dump them into a shelter. Then it will be the rescues who come along and scoop them up and work with them.

Miss Lady GaGa came to us deaf, due to her age. She lost her sight during the last year we had her so I have worked with both a deaf and a blind Sheltie. Miss Lady GaGa once she figured her way around the room, best thing to do is not move anything out of place.

When Serenity is outside, she has been trained to come in when she notices my flipping the outside light off and on.

Yes she will be a new member to our family. Looks like we are going to have another "gang of 3" again.

I will be picking her up Sunday afternoon and I am excited. She loves to play with other dogs and our one Sheltie Jake, wants to play a lot.

Wish us luck!!!!

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is here safe and sound. Only one minor dust up between her and Elwood when he mistakenly thought he could go up to her and snitch her treat. She told him under no circumstances would she tolerate that.

Other than that she has been really good. Just kind of skittish but, that can be expected until they figure out who the "alpha" is. You would think that by now they would know that "I am alpha in this house".

I have a photo to download yet showing her smiling as she sits in the passenger seat on the ride home.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Bringing home a new pet is always so exciting, but also a bit nerve wracking because you never know how things will work out, especially with existing pets at home.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a photo of her sitting on the front set as I drove her home yesterday. She is so beautiful!!

The three are getting acclimated to each other, Serenity stands her ground. She also knows which cage is hers and will at times retreat if Elwood is getting too boisterous.

She also goes running to see my husband when he came home tonight and she does the same with me. Always wanting some attention.

AND at 2:30am this morning she made it known she wanted to see me. Yep the little girl had to do her business. Amazing thing is I can tell the difference between the three when they bark.

Anyway.....once she settles more and is accustomed to the boys and us, I plan on working with her on some ASL (American Sign Language).

And she and Elwood this morning chilling and keeping an eye out on what is going on in the backyard. I was told she is quite the bird and squirrel chaser. That should make Elwood proud as he loves to chase those evil evil squirrels.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are the "crazy gang" this morning. Jake, you would never know he had surgery. Elwood, he got his nose into a wasp burrow and came running after getting stung. Serenity, she stands guard watching for the evil evil squirrels which invade the yard. They love to taunt our "crazy gang".

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My new shirt for the summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The crazy gang hanging out around the grill last month with my husband.

Missy Serenity, Jake and Elwood!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Sailfish said:
My new shirt for the summer.
:happy: :happy: :beer:

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sighhh...our little boy Jake is sick. His little face is so swollen. We had him to the vet Saturday and he said the lymph nodes along his jaw and down his neck are swollen.

They stuck a needle into one of the lymph nodes to run a test to see if it is an infection or, lymphoma. The results came back as inconclusive.

He said it could be a tooth abscess but for there to be one on both sides of his jaw at the same time, too odd.

He sent us home with some antibiotic pills to give him and next appointment is Saturday. If the swelling goes down, then we can presume it was just an infection. Then we need to see if it was possible his teeth. He has already had 2 teeth pulled, because they were cracked.

This is Jake....little boy with the swollen jaw.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is Jake this morning. The swelling has gone down somewhat. Still on the antibiotics until we see the vet Saturday morning.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts