EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were travelling in the Enclave this past weekend. After one fuel stop, when I started the engine the DIC message read Service Air Bag and the red air bag light/icon remained one. Our Clave is a 2008 CXL which I purchased this past May with 24,724 miles on the clock. The first week I had it, the Service Air Bag message came on but the next day, it functioned normally and has for several months until Monday. I am taking the Clave to the dealer tomorrow morning to have it checked. Has anyone had this problem? My interpretation of the message is that the air bag on the drivers side is not functional. The one on the passenger side seems to be functioning normally. Is there any danger of the air bag deploying randomly?

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
PAenclave
Welcome to the forum :welcome:

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
I"ve had my air bag light go on a few times, but goes right off again, and not to be seen for a long time in between. I'm waiting till it's on steadily so the dealer can fix it, but it's so random now...not worrying about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone for responding. Yea 2Much you were right. I called my dealer yesterday and they asked me to drop it off right away this morning (Ebersole's Buick, GMC, Honda in Lebanon, PA) and they would work it in around their full schedule. I was pleased that the car was finished in three hours. They repositioned the wiring harness under the driver's seat to prevent a wire from being pinched. It works fine. Of course there was no charge and I received a free car wash. I was impressed by their prompt service to accomodate me. Thanks again for your input. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
PAenclave said:
Thanks everyone for responding. Yea 2Much you were right. I called my dealer yesterday and they asked me to drop it off right away this morning (Ebersole's Buick, GMC, Honda in Lebanon, PA) and they would work it in around their full schedule. I was pleased that the car was finished in three hours. They repositioned the wiring harness under the driver's seat to prevent a wire from being pinched. It works fine. Of course there was no charge and I received a free car wash. I was impressed by their prompt service to accomodate me. Thanks again for your input. :)
Had the same symptom on my 2008 about 2 years ago. My problem was under the passenger seat. They repositioned the passenger seat harness. Hopefully the dealer took care of both seats. I think there is a Buick Technical Bulletin on this problem.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Now I am getting the Service Airbag Message too. That along with an oil leak. Really disappointed in this car now. What used to be a real pleasure to drive is now just one big worry on what will go wrong next. I find myself saying to myself "what a POS this is". They really lost me when the wave plate went with only 50k miles. Shameful! I can understand a water pump and even the rack and pinon (2x) along with a list of other smaller things. But the busted wave plate really did me in. Glad I purchased an extended warranty. I would rather just have a reliable car though.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I understand your sentiments. As an owner of a 2008 Enclave, I am always concerned that my car could be stricken by the wave plate breakdown at any time. Given that I've already replaced 2 power steering pumps, the steering gear bushings, the steering rack, and the water pump, my Enclave is probably the least reliable car that I've owned. It is even worse than my trouble prone 2003 Subaru Outback . ::)

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Makes me kind of embarrassed to say mine has been 100% reliable in the almost 4 years we've had it. Mechanically speaking that is....we have had quite a few interior seat/seatbelt items fixed.....but they never left us stranded.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
But Kids, you have to actually drive it to experience problems. :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

1000 miles per year won't wear anything out! :happy:

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
rockyp said:
But Kids, you have to actually drive it to experience problems. :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

1000 miles per year won't wear anything out! :happy:
;) But it's actually 6500 miles per year. Perhaps this is why I never feel my vehicles ever have big repairs, since I usually keep them 6 or 7 years. Now we are at 8 for the Bonneville and that only has a little over 50K, and we have not had any high dollar repairs on that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No worries its very likely a minor issue. The air bag sensors are sensitive and with good reason. you dont want to risk the air bag deploying while driving.

Probably a pinched wire or the harness came loose. Id bet you have the vehicle back inside of 60 minutes when you drop it for service.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks everyone. Probably right about the quick repair. Not sure about the oil leak though. Regardless, having to take it in for so many things is absurd.

BTW - Thanks for no comments rationalizing why these kind of repairs should all be forgiven. I chuckle every time I read on here about how it is OK for a water pump to go bad at 30k miles or a coil back should only last 40k miles. There is NO excuse for all these issues.

Maybe I will check ebay for another car that might be more reliable. Perhaps a 1982 Fiat X-19 or an old Jaguar will do the trick. (Joke).

Over the weekend we received a couple things in the mail from one of the local Buick dealers for a $6000 cash back 0% financing for a new Buick. I couldn't throw it away fast enough.

Kids - dont feel bad about having no issues. I wish you many continued years of reliable driving. I will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
carguy9 said:
Now I am getting the Service Airbag Message too. That along with an oil leak. Really disappointed in this car now. What used to be a real pleasure to drive is now just one big worry on what will go wrong next. I find myself saying to myself "what a POS this is". They really lost me when the wave plate went with only 50k miles. Shameful! I can understand a water pump and even the rack and pinon (2x) along with a list of other smaller things. But the busted wave plate really did me in. Glad I purchased an extended warranty. I would rather just have a reliable car though.

carguy9,
I understand that dealing with these issues can be very frustrating. I would suggest that you take your vehicle into your local dealer to have them look into these concerns for you. If you would like I can contact your dealer for you to set up an appointment. If you would like me to do so please send me a PM with your name, phone number and the days and times that you are available. Either way, please keep posted.
Thank you,
Stacy Buick Customer Service

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Hi Rivaxl,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue for the third time now! I would be happy to speak with your dealership further regarding your concern. Please send a private message with your full contact information, VIN, mileage, and name of involved dealership at any time. We want to ensure this issue is resolved quickly for you. Thank you!

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

Rivaxl said:
Third attempt to see if they can resolve air bag seat sensor/harness now service airbag light issue.

·
Registered
80 Posts
carguy9 said:
Yeah, soooo many things went wrong so far, that I am REALLY considering to replace this car for some non GM. Not because I don't like the car, but now, out of warranty safe harbor, is really expensive to keep it. I almost forgot to mention, that my air bag light is on, constantly. After very disappointing dealership visit last week, they find, that RR airbag sensor is defective. They couldn't fix it because no sensor in stock. It took 8 hours to find out that, and one more day to replace the sensor. :angryfire: :eek:hno:

BTW, very happy with GM trucks. Runs strong.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Hi sotto66,

I am sorry to hear of your experience this past week! I just wanted to clarify, is the air bag light still on, or have they solved the problem? If you are still experiencing vehicle concerns, we would be happy to assist further!

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

sotto66 said:
Yeah, soooo many things went wrong so far, that I am REALLY considering to replace this car for some non GM. Not because I don't like the car, but now, out of warranty safe harbor, is really expensive to keep it. I almost forgot to mention, that my air bag light is on, constantly. After very disappointing dealership visit last week, they find, that RR airbag sensor is defective. They couldn't fix it because no sensor in stock. It took 8 hours to find out that, and one more day to replace the sensor. :angryfire: :eek:hno:

BTW, very happy with GM trucks. Runs strong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased a 2014 Enclave and i absolutely LOVE it. But just last week the service air bag turned on and i have no idea why. i'm not sure if its under warranty. the Buick dealership that is by my house wants to charge me $50 just to look at it. but it seems that alot of poeple are having issues with this. is it something that you guys can help me with. please me me know

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
18 Participants
etraud
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing