EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week the service all wheel drive came up on the DIC It did it a couple of times, so took it to dealer. Said there was some software upgrade for the computer that they put in the vehicle and should take care of it. Well this afternoon it came on again. It comes on only when I startup the vehicle then in about 4 -5 miles it will go off. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Back to dealer I would go.........

·
Registered
379 Posts
One of ours did that when we went to Denver and ran into snow. Turns out we drove too fast through the snow and they said they had to replace the rear clutch.

·
Registered
149 Posts
John M said:
One of ours did that when we went to Denver and ran into snow. Turns out we drove too fast through the snow and they said they had to replace the rear clutch.
What was "too fast". I could find nothing under the AWD section of my OM regarding this.

There is a statement in the winter driving section that says " When driving through deep snow, turn off the traction
control part of the StabiliTrak® System to help maintain vehicle motion at lower speeds. "

·
Registered
378 Posts
OR...use the factory available snow plow optional attachment part number (1-R U CRZY 2010) :happy: ;D :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Mine came on this evening after parking at a nearby shipping center after driving on post-snowstorm roads today. I restarted the car, but the "Service All Wheel Drive" DIC indication stayed on. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Low battery voltage can cause the AWD to stop working.
your battery may be low.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Inoperative All-Wheel Drive
May 1, 2010 12:00 AM

On some 2008-2010 Enclave; 2007-2010 Equinox, Acadia; 2007-2009 Torrent, OUTLOOK; 2008-2009 VUE; 2010 Terrain; and 2009-2010 Traverse models equipped with All-Wheel Drive, the All-Wheel Drive System may become inoperative with a Service All-Wheel Drive (Service AWD) light On. There may be other various conditions related to a low battery, such as but not exclusive to a no crank or slow engine crank condition or the vehicle may have been jump-started recently.

The vehicle is still operational in two-wheel drive mode. Technicians may find DTC C0550 set as a current or history DTC in the Clutch Control Module (CCM). This may occur due to low voltage presence in the system.

If DTC C0550 is stored in the CCM, follow these steps prior to replacement of the CCM:

1. Verify that DTC C0550 is set as a current DTC or history DTC in the CCM.

2. Check that the battery voltage level is above 9 volts. If the battery voltage level is low, perform a charging system diagnosis, parasitic draw test and battery load test. Repair as necessary.

3. Clear DTCs and turn off the ignition for at least 2 minutes.

4. Turn on the ignition and wait for 40 seconds. If DTC C0550 does not reset in the CCM, it may have been induced by a low voltage condition. If DTC C0550 resets as a current DTC, follow the normal SI diagnostic procedure.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
After reading your post, I restarted the car and the DIC was normal. Phew! Thanks for your help. :)

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
with the low temps---
the battery voltage could have dropped.

Though I would keep an eye on the battery....

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
When I restarted the car, the battery voltage registered over 13 volts. But, I will monitor the battery tomorrow when I go to work. Thanks for your guidance. :)

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
rbarrios said:
If DTC C0550 is stored in the CCM, follow these steps prior to replacement of the CCM:

1. Verify that DTC C0550 is set as a current DTC or history DTC in the CCM.

2. Check that the battery voltage level is above 9 volts. If the battery voltage level is low, perform a charging system diagnosis, parasitic draw test and battery load test. Repair as necessary.

3. Clear DTCs and turn off the ignition for at least 2 minutes.

4. Turn on the ignition and wait for 40 seconds. If DTC C0550 does not reset in the CCM, it may have been induced by a low voltage condition. If DTC C0550 resets as a current DTC, follow the normal SI diagnostic procedure.

It's a shame that much of the mfg instruction to the dealerships is intended to avoid replacing parts while under warranty, despite a malfunction code being present. Even when there is a code, it is a reset, then wait and see if it comes back. On my other forum, it's meant coming in with a full warranty, and having the issue come back out of warranty.

Here's the thing--a warning and shadow fault does not appear for no reason. It would be like popping a circuit breaker in your home, and rather than tracing the fault and replacing the breaker, to simply reset the breaker and see if it pops again. If it doesn't, leave it alone. That doesn't mean that the root cause has gone away. imho that is....

Also, even at 0 F, there is no reason for a vehicle to be operating at a low voltage, if it's been driven daily. Simply load test the battery, I know that many seem to want to avoid doing that (based on battery threads), but it's a way to cut to the chase, and free at many auto parts stores if you don't have your own.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
This morning's drive to work in 2°F weather was normal. There was no DIC warning and the voltage has remained normal. Additionally, the car started without any obvious sign of strain from the battery. Since I didn't look at the voltmeter when the DIC warning appeared last night, I can't be sure that it wasn't low at that time. But, so far so good.

I will keep everyone informed of the Service All Wheel Drive DIC warning recurs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
@rbarrios I just installed a new battery and the Service All Wheel Drive notice is still there. This error doesn’t show up in my obdii check. It shows no faults or errors? Any advice? Does it eventually go away or is it something else?

pS: thanks again for Techron advice. That fixed my other issue

·
Registered
28 Posts
And the message was not there before the battery replacement?
No the error message was there before the battery replacement. I havent replaced the battery in a very long time so I just replaced it anyway. Vehicle runs very smooth. I cant tell if the AWD is engaged or not. I just see the Service Message. 110K miles

I started to wonder if I could pull the AWD fuse or Rear Diff Module fuse and replace and see if that was an issue but I don't even know if there is a fuse for that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts