EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an OnStar diagnostic alert for my 2019 that says "An issue with the lithium-ion battery in your 2019 Buick Enclave has been detected. Please service your vehicle within 7 days."

Has anyone else had this message or know anything about it?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. Didn't know there was an OnStar battery.

Do you know where it is exactly, why it would need service, and why it's not mentioned in the owner's manual?

·
Registered
2022 Buick Enclave Premium Sage Metallic
35 Posts
I would suggest calling OnStar (either via the blue button or the customer service number) to get more details. Might be an issue with the module battery as mentioned but they should be able to clarify

·
Administrator
775 Posts
That fact that it says “service within 7 days” and a lithium battery’s tendency to fail catastrophically with fire would have me concerned. If it’s normally garage kept it might be a good idea to kick it out to the driveway until you know what this is about.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
The earlier batts, were not rechargeable.
Usually folks ruined the batts by leaving key in start/on and disconnecting the cars battery.
This caused onstar module to think an accident had occured and the onstar batt is used for the module to do its thing... phone home I guess.
The battery will eventually run down and die.
Requiring replacement.
I think the newer models may use rechargeable batts.. not sure.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Strange. Haven't left the key in start/on, haven't touched the main battery, haven't disconnected anything, haven't changed anything, and haven't used OnStar.

I wonder why there's no mention of it in the owner's manual. I hope it's covered under warranty and that there's not some loophole about OnStar batteries not being included.

·
Registered
2022 Buick Enclave Premium Sage Metallic
35 Posts
Strange. Haven't left the key in start/on, haven't touched the main battery, haven't disconnected anything, haven't changed anything, and haven't used OnStar.

I wonder why there's no mention of it in the owner's manual. I hope it's covered under warranty and that there's not some loophole about OnStar batteries not being included.
In the owners manual (at least for my 2022) it says that “OnStar equipment may be warranted as part of the vehicle warranty”. So I would assume this may be covered under the main warranty except the possibility it is excluded by the info in the Limited Warranty booklet (again, at least what I received with my 2022) under “Third party externally connected electrical products“. Ultimately, you need to contact OnStar or your dealership for clarity. I’ve noticed that Buick/GM are a little less detailed in their owner manuals than previous brands that I have owned…which may be a body savings tactic so the manual and supplements are thinner and a bit more vague on some things than I’m used to. Might be that they provide more online but like I said…when in doubt ask.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Your vehicle MY is 2019. Have you ever had your vehicle in a shop for anything (including recalls)? If you did, it might be possible a service technician (or kid) was listening to the radio (keyless pushbutton activated for KEY-ON) and then needed to remove a battery cable for some reason. I've read that the backup battery exists to alert 911 of an incident that may have been an accident. The backup battery module activates when the vehicle battery becomes disconnected with the ignition in the ON position. Once a non-rechargeable battery is activated, it continues to feed OnStar until it dies. I suspect the message you got indicates the battery is nearly dead and will be in 7 days, so it is advising replacement so as to have uninterrupted OnStar service.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Your MY 2019 Enclave had a powertrain related recall (so it had at least one). Unless that recall was done prior to your purchase.

It would be hard to prove the theory. I do my own oil changes due to very strange problems friends of mine have experienced with oil change places. But I had a Buick dealer do the first 2 or 3 courtesy maintenance services, and they also did a courtesy transmission fluid flush/replacement (2018 MY Enclaves had some transmission shudder due to being filled within incorrect fluid - mine did not shudder but I wanted to make sure the correct fluid was in the transmission). So who knows what all can happen when someone else has your vehicle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Update: Service Manager says to disregard the notice and that they have been getting a lot of false battery readings.
So, the check (low battery voltage) that determines a battery problem for this safety device is being communicated by a Buick Service Manager as a false alarm - disregard it? So, what is the "true" alarm message for when this particular battery is going dead? Maybe have that Service Manager put that in writing, then contact Buick directly and advise them what you are being told.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would think the service manager should tell you to disregard the notification after having the battery checked. :unsure:
Even this doesn't sound right. If the battery checked out good, but the message is there, what will happen if the battery later goes dead? That message will still be there, and it will be ignored. Proper solution is to fix the issue causing the display or fix the display error (whichever it is).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts