EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Administrator
824 Posts
Got the service side detection error creeping up more and more often on our 2013 Enclave. Known issue with the sensors in the rear bumper getting water inside them and going bad. GM did an extended coverage on them for the Acadia but not for the Enclave despite using the same part number.

I replaced one a couple of years ago with a Rockauto part and had to take it to the dealer to have it programmed. Thankfully I have a hookup, and it only cost me $50, but still a pain making an appointment, etc. This time I made sure to order the exact GM part, and it was just plug-and-play. Changing them is easy enough. You just lay down behind the rear tire and reach up between the muffler and the rear bumper cover, and you can see it sitting in a little cradle on the side of the rear bumper. If the part has swollen because of the water intrusion (which happens), it may involve a little cussing, but it will slide out. Once out, you pull back the red tab on the connector to unlock and pop off the harness. Plug in the new module, push the red tab back in to lock it and slide the new module into the cradle. It's a good idea to give the connector a good coat of dielectric grease where it seals around the edges. The other known issue for this system failing is water getting into the connector and corroding the pins. Both times I've had to swap mine, the pins were nice and clean, so the connector's seal was doing its job.

This was the one I bought:
Genuine GM Module 84440527 | eBay

Getting the genuine GM 84440527 seems to be the key to having it plug in and work without needing to be programmed, which can only be done at the dealer (even my buddy's high-end Snap-On scanner he has for his certified repair shop can't do it).

This is the one I got the first time, and while it does work required programming:
More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS BSD43 (rockauto.com)

· Registered
2 Posts
Got the service side detection error creeping up more and more often on our 2013 Enclave. Known issue with the sensors in the rear bumper getting water inside them and going bad. GM did an extended coverage on them for the Acadia, but not for the Enclave despite using the same exact part number.

I replaced one a couple years ago with a Rockauto part and had to take it to the dealer to have it programmed. Thankfully I have a hookup and it only cost me $50, but still a pain making an appointment etc etc. This time I made sure to order the exact GM part and it was just plug and play. Changing them is easy enough, you just lay down behind the rear tire and reach up between the muffler and the rear bumper cover and you can see it sitting in a little cradle on the side of the rear bumper. If the part has swollen because of the water intrusion (which happens) it may involve a little cussing but it will slide out. Once out you pull back the red tab on the connector to unlock and pop off the harness. Plug in the new module, push the red tab back in to lock it, and slide the new module into the cradle. It's a good idea to give the connector a good coat of dielectic grease where it seals around the edges. The other known issue for this system failing is water getting into the connector and corroding the pins. Both times I've had to swap mine the pins were nice and clean though so the connectors seal was doing it's job.

Getting the genuine GM 84440527 seems to be the key to having it plug in and work without needing to be programmed, which can only be done at the dealer (even my buddies high end Snap On scanner he has for his certified repair shop can't do it).

This is the one I got the first time, that while it does work required programming:
Got the service side detection error creeping up more and more often on our 2013 Enclave. Known issue with the sensors in the rear bumper getting water inside them and going bad. GM did an extended coverage on them for the Acadia, but not for the Enclave despite using the same exact part number.

I replaced one a couple years ago with a Rockauto part and had to take it to the dealer to have it programmed. Thankfully I have a hookup and it only cost me $50, but still a pain making an appointment etc etc. This time I made sure to order the exact GM part and it was just plug and play. Changing them is easy enough, you just lay down behind the rear tire and reach up between the muffler and the rear bumper cover and you can see it sitting in a little cradle on the side of the rear bumper. If the part has swollen because of the water intrusion (which happens) it may involve a little cussing but it will slide out. Once out you pull back the red tab on the connector to unlock and pop off the harness. Plug in the new module, push the red tab back in to lock it, and slide the new module into the cradle. It's a good idea to give the connector a good coat of dielectic grease where it seals around the edges. The other known issue for this system failing is water getting into the connector and corroding the pins. Both times I've had to swap mine the pins were nice and clean though so the connectors seal was doing it's job.

Getting the genuine GM 84440527 seems to be the key to having it plug in and work without needing to be programmed, which can only be done at the dealer (even my buddies high end Snap On scanner he has for his certified repair shop can't do it).

This is the one I got the first time, that while it does work required programming:

Do i need two replacements or just one? Buick dealer said over a thousand to replace two sensors that are “probably” corroded. Can I buy the pins to replace on eBay?

· Administrator
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You’ll need to look at the connectors and see if they’re corroded and if they are you’ll need to replace the entire harness. I would replace both sensors at then same time. There’s one on each side of the bumper.

· Registered
1 Posts

So if I buy the GM part for the side detection system, I won't have to have it

If I buy the GM part for my side detection system, I won't need it programmed? Also, how do I know which detector is bad? The side that is flashing in my mirror consistently?

· Registered
1 Posts
I had to have my transmission replaced on my 2016 Enclave and when I got my car back it said service side detection. The guys at the shop kind responded, uh, I don't know, it's just on now. It never came on before and is always on now. Any ideas?

· Registered
1 Posts
I recently had this notice pop up. My question is, did you have any other issues associated with this. Specifically, any problems with the vehicle not starting?
My Acadia had issues not starting which was caused by the side detection module being bad. I noticed the “service side detection system” message a few months ago but did not have it fixed. If you leave it go, it causes other issues, which is what I’m experiencing now (car won’t start). I’m replacing both modules and the harness.

· Registered
1 Posts
My Acadia had issues not starting which was caused by the side detection module being bad. I noticed the “service side detection system” message a few months ago but did not have it fixed. If you leave it go, it causes other issues, which is what I’m experiencing now (car won’t start). I’m replacing both modules and the harness.
I’m getting the same issue. Sometimes take 3-4 turns of the key. Or locking and unlocking the car from the inside w keyfob seems to allow the car to start. Sensor is on back order so I’m waiting. I can buy aftermarket but dealer won’t program them for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts