EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok i have a 2008 buick enclave..

problem- car would down shift AKA lunge, really hard at random times and the Service Stabilitrak warning light would come on and then go off by itself. i never could determine when it would happen it was SOOOOO Random and daily.. the other day i said to my self .....self....lets figure this out....... the internet was full of suggestions on the cause of the randum Service Stabilitrak warning light and lunge..... i started with the dtc codes that i had been ignoring for some time they were PO171 and P0174. a lean condition.. as a warm up.. you know....a get you in the mech mood kinda thing.....not Stabilitrak related.... So heres how i fixed them.

1. Cleaned the PCV Valve Breather THIS THING WAS CLOGGED UP. Cleaning or replacing this will stop oil from collecting in your air intake tube. This valve is located at the end of the yellow dotted line. on the back side of the engine.

2. replaced the PVC Hose. (red line) 9 bucks from the dealer autozone did not have it.

3. cleared the codes and test drove.... 2 miles into the test drive, the check engine light triggered and so did my Service Stabilitrak warning light and the car lunged ALL AT THE SAME TIME.....Odddddd ......but i was going to deal with the Service Stabilitrak warning later......im working on this lean condition right now....

4. i checked the codes and ONLY one code was present P0174... So code p0171 fixed

5. I cleaned the MAS. The yellow arrow in the photo is the before cleaning and the red arrow is after the cleaning. i used the entire can to clean it. TRUST ME ITS CLEAN.

6. took it out for a test drive. and watched the live data...................its been two days now no lean condition codes... Great.... heres where the odd comes in... not only did the lean codes vanish but remember in my intro i said... Service Stabilitrak warning light would go come on and then go off by itself. i never could determine when it would happen it was SOOOOO Random and daily

well it has stopped and has not reoccurred.......... ANY theories on this? i have on, but Im still mentally processing it before i put it in writing.... the items i addressed should have had no affect on the traction control system. Is this the gremlin link that the internet talks about? Did i just find big foot. lol

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
that stabilitrack warning comes on for stuff that is totally- unrelated to stability control.
It boggles the mind- why they designed it that way.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The Mass air flow sensor was the root cause of my Stabilitrack messages and I also an occasional P300, random misfire. The Stabilitrack messages were random with no CEL for several months until it stayed on with a CEL. So I brought it to My independent shop mechanic, it took him a good part of the day to diagnose. He did clean the MAF but that wasn't good enough, he had to replace it. He did also make note of the crud and nasty oil in the air intake snorkel with no suggestion as to the cause or remedy. This was in 2013?
The truck was trouble free for a year and a half until the polar Vortex hit. I was doing 70mph driving home one night, it was about 10 degrees F, and a minute later the stabilitrack with reduced power messages and I could barely do 20 MPH. I Pulled over to the shoulder let it sit for 5-10 minutes, started it up and went merrily on my way with no further messages. I believe the throttle was frozen and then defrosted by sitting for 10 min.
Next day I opened up the air intake only to find a milkshake inside, with pools of water, hence the moisture to freeze the throttle. This was also the cause of my random misfires, they happened when I got off the highway and stopped at a traffic light, the intake gulped a bit of water.
Anyway that was the winter of ****. Long story short, I found out about the clogged PCV orifice and performed the mod. The truck has been trouble free for almost 3 years now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know this thread is old but I too am now having the service stabilitrak issues along with abs light. I'm not sure but i think the original poster maybe who posted this video on YouTube i took this screenshot from..either who you guys mention cleaning the pcv hose at the top of the motor what did you clean it with and how.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have a Cyl #2 misfire on my 2008 Enclave and the "Service Stabilitrak" and "ABS" error lights turn on exactly when i get a misfire. i don't know how or why they are related.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I know this thread is old but I too am now having the service stabilitrak issues along with abs light. I'm not sure but i think the original poster maybe who posted this video on YouTube i took this screenshot from..either who you guys mention cleaning the pcv hose at the top of the motor what did you clean it with and how.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The hose dosen't get clogged, it's the PCV orifice at the opposite end of the hose. Here is a video from a camaro engine modification.

·
Registered
561 Posts
anyway, many things can cause these messages. One summer my daughter wanted to take mine up to cape cod and she got the service stabilitrack message. I topped off the brake fluid and away she went.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So Tommy a Buick Service Tech told me he sees this all the time. This is what he told us to do. Replace throttle body, replace with a modified PCV Valve (enlarge the holes in the PCV valve, hose side to 7/64hs and the engine side both holes to 5/64ths), replace the MAP sensor. So far can't find the location for it. Where it is on older models it has a Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid. After installation and cleaning follow the learning procedure for the Throttle Idle sensor to the EMC.

1) Start engine and let idle for three minutes
After three minutes, the PCM Starts to learn the idle patterns and begins to adjust the idle speed. The engine should begin to slow down to almost normal.
2) When that happens turn off engine for one minute, then restart the engine and allow it to idle for three minutes. At the end of the second three minute cycle the idle should be normal.
3) If the engine does not idle properly after the relearn procedure, drive the vehicle above 44 mph, then decelerate and accelerate several times, allowing it to idle in between. Stop the vehicles and turn the engine off for one minute. The engine should now idle normally.
4) Clear all codes that may be appeared.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cleaning the PCV is good but drilling the orifices bigger is better.
When I bought the wheel bearing one of the guys working there took a magnet and stuck into the wheel bearing and I read somewhere that that could mess up the tone wheel just wondering if that was true ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts