EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 enclave has a shake/shimmy when accelerating from 45mph up to 60mph and it only does it while accelerating. I bought the car new and it has around 6,300 miles on it now. The dealer has balanced the tires two times, checked the alignment, checked everything and has not found the cause. When I had around 400 to 500 miles on it we were running around 60mph and heard a noise that sounded like something broke and the problem started around that time. Have there been other reports of this problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Hoop,
Just a few questions to get a clearer picture.......
Is the Enclave FWD or AWD ?
Is this condition under hard acceleration, normal acceleration or doesn't matter, happens all the time ?
Where do you feel the shake/shimmy.... steering wheel, seat, entire vehicle ? Can you identify a location.... left, right, front or back relative to the drivers seat ?
Has the dealer been able to duplicate the problem ?
As you accelerate and say at about 50-55 mph you let off the gas does the shake/shimmy go away or does it remain until your speed drops below 45 mph ?
I'll run your problem and answers up the flagpole with some friends and see if anyone salutes. Hopefully someone will come up with an avenue to pursue and
if not perhaps someone at Buick Customer Service could help you out. I know I would not feel confident in taking your car on a long trip / vacation.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's highly unlikely, but you may want to look at the engine mounts. When they weaken it can cause a vibration under load.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roadtrip

The Enclave is FWD and the condition seems to happen all the time. Most of the shake/shimmy is felt in the front end and don't make any difference where you are sitting. The dealer has been able to duplicate the problem slightly. Soon as you let off the gas it stops. GM told them to take the wheels and tires off another new 17 model and put them on but they did not have another one with wheels and tires that matched the dealer is going to put a new set of tires on the vehicle this week and see if the problem stops. We just got home yesterday from a 1500 hundred mile trip to Virginia and that sure was fun in the mountains. I set the cruise on 74mph and every time it started up a hill the shake started until the speed was reached not much fun and sometimes it felt a tire was out of round and bounced.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on my 2017 enclave.
The dealer installed a new set of tires on the vehicle and did all the tests and balanced the tires. This did not cure the problem. The next step they are going to do is replace the torque converter. Can't for the life of me understand why they are only going to replace the converter, why not replace the trany and converter. Today is 8/20/18 and they have had the car since 8/14/18, will follow up when I get the car back and hope that will fix the problem.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
On the Traverse forum...

a member posted this-
"2010 Chevy Traverse 123000 + miles ...while going to a family gathering Sunday about half way there the traverse started bucking and stumbling like a plug had fouled.I was on interstate and it would stay at 70 mph until it came to a hill of course then it would loose power I drove back and it did the same but not quite as bad...it shows no codes (I scanned with an Actron AutoScanner Plus) except C0245 wheel speed sensor frequency error,C0035 LF wss,andC0045LR wss which were already on there as I have issues with sensor at this time...I thought maybe a spark plug but wouldn't that throw a misfire code? any ideas ?"

A mr Goodwrench- did a driveby post..... and this may be your issue.

"I've seen the exact same symptoms while working on a 2010 Acadia about a year ago. The scan tool ruled out any ignition faults and lead the focus to the front drivetrain. During the inspection, excessive wear was evident at the inner CV axle on the drivers side. A worn inner joint will cause all the symptoms you're seeing and can easily be mistaken for misfires, but really is severe vibrations sent from excessive play in the CV joint as it gets more heavily loaded going uphill. The symptoms are usually absent when the road is level or driving downhill due to the reduction in loading at the joint. Hope this is helpful....
Cheers,
MrGoodwrench"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The day this all started the vehicle only had 400 to 500 miles on it. Was running on cruise around 61 mph and it sounded like some kind of a metal break happened. If it is a CV joint had to have been a manufacturing defect. It sure is disgusting when you pay over $50,000 for an automobile and you get something like this. I have owned a 2009 and 2013 Enclave and had no problems with them. I Sure hope what the dealer is doing now fixes it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update on my 2017 Enclave:

Got the vehicle back from the dealer today (8/22/18) after they installed a new torque converter and it DID NOT FIX the problem, it still has the same shake. Don't know where they are going next.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Tires, have them checked for a broken belt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer called today 8/30/18 and said GM told them to put new axles on the front. Will see what this does.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Good grief.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the enclave back from dealer 9/10/18 after they replaced both front axles. We have driven about 100 miles since and it seems to have fixed the problem. Don't seem to be any shake/shimmy there now. I want to put a few more miles on it before I sign a release on the repairs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems that the Enclave is fixed have not had any more shake/shimmy since the front axles were replaced.

Want to thank Patriot Motors in Princeton, IN for the help in the repairs. I want to thank Jason Graham for listening to all our complaints and his part in getting the job done.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Good news!

·
Super Moderator
595 Posts
Never would have expected that to solve the issue but glad it's fixed. Nice work by the techs involved in tracking that one down.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I read a post somewhere.
A long time tech- recommended that the axles be checked, check the end closest to the trans.
I believe the post was about vibration.

He had run into this issue.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've been chasing down a similar issue in my 09 awd and have it down to the torque converter or possibly an axle. The axles seems tight, very little play and no oil slinging out of them, however It just recently developed a slight tick when turning slow speed drivers front. New front left axle ordered and it's due in Wednesday. Hoping that fixes it. I just had it evaluated for a trade in yesterday. I don't want to put a new transmission and torque converter in her at this point. I just rebuilt the switches in the techm about 5K miles ago. I would rather keep it as a extra car as we downsize, and it would be great to still have a car that my whole family could fit in on the rare occasion we are all together. The sales manager at the new car dealer said he never saw a car this old with that many miles in such great shape. It really rode better than this new suv and was quieter, even with 202K miles on her. Someone else wouldn't even be bothered by this vibration, but I notice it. I will update. Maintenance is key, this vehicle really owes me nothing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 enclave has a shake/shimmy when accelerating from 45mph up to 60mph and it only does it while accelerating. I bought the car new and it has around 6,300 miles on it now. The dealer has balanced the tires two times, checked the alignment, checked everything and has not found the cause. When I had around 400 to 500 miles on it we were running around 60mph and heard a noise that sounded like something broke and the problem started around that time. Have there been other reports of this problem?
I got got my 2014 Enclave and its doing the same thing... shaking when I excelerate. Ive taken it back to the dealer 3 times, they did a wheel alighnment and shocks, they tune up and transmission fush and it is still shaking... very frustrating. Did you find out what the issue was?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It seems that the Enclave is fixed have not had any more shake/shimmy since the front axles were replaced.

Want to thank Patriot Motors in Princeton, IN for the help in the repairs. I want to thank Jason Graham for listening to all our complaints and his part in getting the job done.
My enclave is shaking like crazy when I accelerate and up a hill is worse...do u remember how much it was to fix the problem? I have been to two different mechanics and the problem is not fixed. My daughter told me to look shaking/ vibration problem
In Buick Enclave and viola’.... your post popped up! Have you had anymore problems with the shaking after axels were replaced?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts