EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am not sure if my problem is the same as the other Transmission problems I have read about, however I am hoping someone can help me figure this out. I don't recall really noticing this probem until a couple months ago (it could have been there longer, but I just never really noticed it).

When we are driving the 09 Enclave CXL, it gets a Lurching / Shuttering sensation at certain speeds. I've noticed it can happen at 40 mph, but usually it's around the 60mph range or the 70mph and once in a while at around 75mph. For the most part it pretty much happens at those speeds, however once in a while it will happen at a speed that is in between those ranges.

The key is that it really only happens when I try to keep the Enclave at a constant speed (without accelerating) or if we are going up a hill. I live in St Louis, Missouri, so I'm not really referring to mountains, more like gradual hills you'd find on a typical highway.

As long as I accelerate through it, I don't feel the issue.

To me the lurching / shuttering almost feels like the car is trying to shift back and forth between 2 gears. It's not a huge feeling, but it certainly is enough to make you feel it and say "That isn't right".

I've read about the Transmission flashes, and I'm wondering if perhaps that might fix the issues?

Also, The car is past it's 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, but it is still well within the 100,000 Powertrain warranty period.
Hoping this would be covered under the Powertrain warranty.

I had a buddy hook up his hand held scanner, and he couldn't find any error codes being thrown.

If anyone has experienced this in the past, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate the help!

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I am not convinced that you are experiencing a transmission issue. To me, it sounds more like a coil pack problem.

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
x3

theres been several other members that described similar issues like you.
they thought it was trans. and usually occurred in the 60 MPH range- and on hills.

The issues turned out to be misfires.
Though most of them- WERE NOT getting CELs set.
But when Coils were replaced- problem went away

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Everyone
Is the replacement of the coil pack something that is normally covered under the 100,000 Power Train Warranty at the Dealer?

If not, is it difficult to change out yourself? (My brother-in-law is the mechanically inclined one in the family when it comes to working on cars - he's taken apart jeeps and rebuilt them from the ground up) Just wondering if this is something simple I can get him to help me with or if it's one of those pain-in-the-a** things that would be better off for the dealer or mechanic's shop to work on.

Also what is the average cost of a coil pack if we were to do it ourselves?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more question
Rbarrios, you mentioned "Though most of them- WERE NOT getting CELs set"

Can you tell me what you meant by "CELs set". Sorry it just isn't clear to me.

Also, is it normal for the car computer not to throw a code when a Coil Pack is bad?

I had originally thought it might have been a coil pack when I was originally looking this issue up (based on what I was reading), but since the code wasn't being thrown when my buddy plugged his handheld scanner in, I thought it might have been the Transmission reprogram issue instead. I also had read somewhere that coil pack issues would give you problems all the time, not sporadically - which is why I kind of leaned away from thinking it was the Coil Pack.

Not questioning anyone's judgement, you all know more than me, I'm just trying to educate myself so that I can learn more about this type of stuff.

Either way, you all have been a big help!
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
x4

Based on your description, this has 'Coil Pack Issue' written all over it.

A electrical misfire would most certainly create a lurching sensation. Although what you're most likely experiencing is a quick pause in engine firing immediately followed by reactiviation. Since this interruption does not allow time for components to 'free-wheel' themselves, your body gets sent in the opposite direction as to the actual direction the car is going during this manipulation of jerking back and forth.

CEL = Check Engine Light

You've already stated you not getting any lights or codes, correct?

To my knowledge, the coil pack is covered under the 5yr/100,000 mile Drive Train Warranty.

You should get to a dealership you trust and have this checked out ASAP.

. . Falcon

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
To my knowledge, the coil pack is covered under the 5yr/100,000 mile Drive Train Warranty.

Unfortunately, they are not covered under the drive train warranty, just the bumper to bumper warranty. Some owner's have had them replaced as a courtesy repair by their dealer or GM when out of warranty. This copy and paste from a GM site (http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty/) shows the coverage for the engine which is where the coil packs are. They are not listed as covered. Of course they are not listed as excluded but they are.

Engine Coverage
All internally lubricated parts, engine oil cooling hoses, lines, and radiators. Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine (e.g., Active Fuel Management, valve lifter, oil manifold) cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer, engine mount, turbocharger, and supercharger. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.
Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, coolant, and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded is the starter motor, entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors, and return line) as well as the Engine/ Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming.

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
For some reason- your issue- and the ones posted by others-- did not set the Check engine light.
Thats why the dealers were having problems finding the issue.

there are CEL codes for misfires (maybe its set once theres MANY misfires).
But with this scenario--- there wasnt any set.

I think in this case- you should take it to dealer.

Though it appears the front and rear coils are sort of easy to get to... the plugs in the rear are the ones that are difficult to remove- but you dont have to remove plugs in this case.

you do have to remove the cover to access them
here are the rear coils with camera shoved towards the firewall
I dont recall if you are still under warranty?
If not- then you can probably get the Denso coils over the Bosch coils (make sure they are shown for the 2009).
My 2010 has Densos.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Yeah, after double checking when someone said I goofed, for some reason my internet search pulled up something that wasn't even a coil pack, plus it was for another vehicle. That's messed up.

Very Sorry about that. I'm not usually one that gives inaccurate information. :facepalm: :scared:

. . Falcon

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Believe me, I just didn't want the owner to go to the dealer expecting not to pay for any coil repairs. :thumb:

Now if the question of wheel bearings comes up, Chevrolet says no, but last I knew Buick and GMC say yes. Chevrolet even lists it as a non-covered part, where the other two list it as a covered part (last time I checked a few months ago)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Reezig32 said:
Hello
I am not sure if my problem is the same as the other Transmission problems I have read about, however I am hoping someone can help me figure this out. I don't recall really noticing this probem until a couple months ago (it could have been there longer, but I just never really noticed it).

When we are driving the 09 Enclave CXL, it gets a Lurching / Shuttering sensation at certain speeds. I've noticed it can happen at 40 mph, but usually it's around the 60mph range or the 70mph and once in a while at around 75mph. For the most part it pretty much happens at those speeds, however once in a while it will happen at a speed that is in between those ranges.

The key is that it really only happens when I try to keep the Enclave at a constant speed (without accelerating) or if we are going up a hill. I live in St Louis, Missouri, so I'm not really referring to mountains, more like gradual hills you'd find on a typical highway.

To me the lurching / shuttering almost feels like the car is trying to shift back and forth between 2 gears. It's not a huge feeling, but it certainly is enough to make you feel it and say "That isn't right".

I've read about the Transmission flashes, and I'm wondering if perhaps that might fix the issues?

Also, The car is past it's 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, but it is still well within the 100,000 Powertrain warranty period.

I had a buddy hook up his hand held scanner, and he couldn't find any error codes being thrown.

If anyone has experienced this in the past, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate the help!

eezig32,
I understand your concern with this issue. I would suggest that you take your Enclave into your dealer and have them look into this for you. They are in the best position to get your vehicle diagnosed for you. Please keep me posted on this issue. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,
Stacy Buick Customer Service

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Coil Pack Swap

Hello Everyone
Thanks for the feedback a couple months ago on diagnosing my issue as a Coil Pack. It turned out to be #5 giving me the issue. I had a repair shop fix it, however just last night we started noticing the same issue again. This time the CEL came on and I took it to Autozone for a quick diagnostics check. Turns out #4 is now going bad.

How hard is it to swap these out myself instead of having a shop do it?,

Is it really as simple as just taking the plastic cover off, unbolting the coilpack, pulling it out, putting the new one in and rebolting everything? Or is it a little more complicated? (from the pictures it looks pretty simple, but I just wanted to double check) Also is there any special greases (or what have you) that I also need to use when I put the new one in?

I never grew up learning how to work on cars, but as an adult I've become more comfortable with the simple repairs on them as long as I have some detailed instructions to follow - so I just wanted to make sure.

Thx!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Reezig32 you will need to remove the intake manifold to get to the coils (I'm assuming it's a 2009+ model year). Check out this thread: http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=2656.40. It's actually not that hard to do. Once the intake is removed, plug all the holes with a paper towel so nothing gets accidentally dropped in the holes, then remove/replace the coils as needed. Be sure to buy an intake manifold gasket and replace it (that's what it says in the service manual).

Hey rbarrios, I checked Denso's website and I didn't see a listing for their coils for the 2009 Enclave. Could the Denso's still be used in a 09 model year? Just wondering if it would cause problems...

·
Registered
363 Posts
gig229 said:
Hey rbarrios, I checked Denso's website and I didn't see a listing for their coils for the 2009 Enclave. Could the Denso's still be used in a 09 model year? Just wondering if it would cause problems...
From comparisons, the reason the Denso coils are not listed for the '09s and earlier is the Denso coil connector plug has a slightly different tab arrangement. However, to add to the confusion, the Wells-branded coil, P/N C1555, is shown to fit CY2007-2010 Outlooks, and CY2008-2012 Enclaves - so that imples the configuration of the connector either has not changed, or the changes do not affect fit, form, or function.

In any event, when it comes time to change coils on my Outlook, I'll probably go with the Wells coils. The Bosch coils on the 2007-2009's seems to be problematic. If the return policy on electrical parts was not so strict, I would have gladly ordered a Denso coil when it comes time for replacement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello

Hello, Im just recently experiencing this exact same issue with my 2009 Buick Enlcave and wanted to check if indeed it was the coil packs?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts