EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Sailfish said:
Yep and make sure you have at least enough insurance to cover the funeral cost. Mother thought she had enough but in the end I paid over $4,000. for her funeral. I am not complaining as I always knew I would. It can be a shocker and she even had her own plot, next to Father's.

Some funeral homes offer preplanning, my Mother did that, to some extent banking on the insurance she had would cover it. As I said above it didn't. LOL I told my husband I want to be cremated instead.
as now we talking about funeral, I think there is nothing wrong in somebody driving a Porsche who does not make a million bucks. sorry john, it is not a jab, but just a philosophical thinking. We are working very hard, save like squirrels, plan like beavers or gophers and die one day to be forgotten by this entire world including our kids. If it is a cremation, kids are free from few more burdens too, it is a favor for them and it is one of the most selfless thing to do. we are not demanding them to come to our graves every year with flowers and not making them to feel guilty if they didn't do so.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
john 070 said:
Ok let me say upfront that with my wife not currently working, we qualify for a ROTH IRA, and are not phased out. That gives you an idea of if my income is >= 1 mil. or not.

I do have friends whose income is > 1 mil. per year. They have a very big burden as that is not all that much money. It may have been a lot in our great grandparents' days, but it is not today.

Example, I have a friend who has 2 girls at Vanderbilt, 1 entering Notre Dame in the fall, and a son in 10th grade. he told me he pays the full monty for the 2 girls, and expects the same for the 3rd. Even Ivys do not offer the great 10% of gross income deal when your income > 200k. Look at his college burden alone. Does he and his wife get to live or save for their future? He drives an Accord. Shouldn't a guy making a million drive a Porsche? No. A guy making 200k drives a Porsche, a guy making a million drives a 2007 Accord with over 200k miles. This is reality.

When you say the house wins, should we all just jump off a cliff? lol
I would contend that anybody who can afford to send 2 kids to Vanderbilt and 1 to Notre Dame and not incur loans is **** rich. They may not have a lot of cash due to school costs but that does not negate their level of wealth. The fact is they have chosen to send their kids to very expensive schools. I say good for them, if that is their priority.

My son and I went to Notre Dame a year and a half ago to visit and check out the campus. We determined that $55K per year was a ridiculous amount to pay for a college education. No financial aid for us. Once again, our choice.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Paul2010 said:
as now we talking about funeral, I think there is nothing wrong in somebody driving a Porsche who does not make a million bucks. sorry john, it is not a jab, but just a philosophical thinking. We are working very hard, save like squirrels, plan like beavers or gophers and die one day to be forgotten by this entire world including our kids. If it is a cremation, kids are free from few more burdens too, it is a favor for them and it is one of the most selfless thing to do. we are not demanding them to come to our graves every year with flowers and not making them to feel guilty if they didn't do so.
I pointed out a Porsche to my husband when we were looking at a new car for him. He just laughed and said "do you have any idea on how much it would cost to insure that car". I said "with your history of speeding tickets I would think a lot". OOPS that look he gave me.

I say get the car you want, but can afford. My husband is loving his Infiniti Q50. Little **** hasn't allowed me to drive it since he returned home. The .9% over 60 months....just works, plus the sticker price, they knocked a few thousand off of it.

Oh and as for the 0% not getting some of the better incentives. Not necessarily so. Both the 07 Outlook and the 11 Enclave we received incentives which were available at that time. It is just how you "wheel and deal" when it comes to telling the dealership... "will buy now or I will go elsewhere". If they really want a sale, and most do, they will deal.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I asked my friend about the brand new home again and the 30 yr., and he immediately said the female (who btw is the breadwinner, makes more than my friend) is the one who insists on buying, not renting, and going into debt.

And she does believe, say they buy this home for x, and sell for y, they will pocket (y-x) and no they do not intend on paying the loan off 30 yr. from now. They may sell when the 2 girls go to college, in 6-10 yrs.

My friend points out this method has not worked thus far and they lost hundreds of thousands on 2 homes in FLA and one in SC. But wifey won't listen. Because debt is good. Means you can afford. If you couldn't afford, you couldn't get the loan, right? ;D

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
zman said:
I would contend that anybody who can afford to send 2 kids to Vanderbilt and 1 to Notre Dame and not incur loans is **** rich. They may not have a lot of cash due to school costs but that does not negate their level of wealth. The fact is they have chosen to send their kids to very expensive schools. I say good for them, if that is their priority.

My son and I went to Notre Dame a year and a half ago to visit and check out the campus. We determined that $55K per year was a ridiculous amount to pay for a college education. No financial aid for us. Once again, our choice.
imho Vanderbilt and Notre Dame are awesome schools. Worth 55k. Kinda like saying, ground beef is worth $4.99. It may not be worth it literally, but it is what it is. You can spend 55k on bogus schools.

The elite schools have you covered if you are at 200k and under. 10% of your gross income. Is Harvard worth $19,999? You better believe it. Is Notre Dame worth $55k? It is. The question is can and will you pay that number. It's not a small number.

Today, we know that a kid who is class of 2032 like my son, his folks need to save $1600/mo. starting from the hospital ride home, through age 22. If they don't, then they are subject to requiring assistance.

For an 18 y.o. today, the number may have been only $700/mo. So imho if a person did that, like my friend, and he has the money saved, the pain is only continuing to do so through age 22. At 18, only 4 more years.

If a person noticed their kid is now 18 and nothing has been saved, I would say for a normal person, 55k is impossible. It's like waking up one day and being 50, and having no savings. The outlook is bleak. Time value of money is something a kid should learn by 5 y.o. Not the calculation, but the concept. I like to say a kid can relate easily to a batting average, so if you continue to go to bat, swing and miss, you cannot ever achieve a respectable average beyond some point...

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
john 070 said:
imho Vanderbilt and Notre Dame are awesome schools. Worth 55k. Kinda like saying, ground beef is worth $4.99. It may not be worth it literally, but it is what it is. You can spend 55k on bogus schools.

The elite schools have you covered if you are at 200k and under. 10% of your gross income. Is Harvard worth $19,999? You better believe it. Is Notre Dame worth $55k? It is. The question is can and will you pay that number. It's not a small number.
Don't disagree at all. For us, Notre Dame would have provided no assistance. It is all need based, not academic. I would have had to pay the whole $55K based on the information session and tour, we didn't actually apply and go through the process.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi members,
Recently I stumbled upon many articles indicating that auto loans are all time high number of installments like 84 months. All articles says that it is a bad thing. But in my experience it is just opposite. I am listing my reasons below.

1. When I bought new enclave my monthly payments were $550 per month. It was painful in the beginning, but after couple of years income increased, also expenses increases but $550, became comfortable. Any monthly payments which is higher now might feel little comfortable after few years, when income increases.
[ few cases it can go opposite because of life's uncertainty, but according to this forum, it is a minimum].

2. Trade-in, when I go to trade-in, I always try to get more than I owe to the lender. When I traded in my new Rav-4 within two years, my KBB value was $500 less than what I owe. There was major accident repair too. But I hanged on to my demand and finally the dealer caved in and matched the loan amount. Also O got additional $ 3300 discount on new 2010 Enclave.

3. When we still owe, we will take care of the vehicle more carefully than a paid off vehicle. Which lead to use it for few more years. That is my opinion.

4. Anyways, we born in debt, live in debt and die in debt. So what is the purpose of paying off all the loans, when it is only an illusion. Again, this is my opinion.

I invite all members thinking and opinions.
Hello, man. Do you understand that your question isn't correct, because it doesn't have a definitive answer? In other words, so many men, so many minds. But if you want to see different points of view and their explanations, then OK. I think, that long term loan payments are better, because long-term debt financing usually has some financial benefits relative to short-term debt. Interest rates are normally lower because long-term loans are usually secured with property. In addition, long-term debt financing usually means smaller monthly installments than short-term credit accounts. This isn't end, because there are and other benefits. There is always a possibility to find more. Hope I have helped you, buddy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, man. Do you understand that your question isn't correct, because it doesn't have a definitive answer? In other words, so many men, so many minds. But if you want to see different points of view and their explanations, then OK. I think, that long term loan payments are better, because long-term debt financing usually has some financial benefits relative to short-term debt. Interest rates are normally lower because long-term loans are usually secured with property. In addition, long-term debt financing usually means smaller monthly installments than short-term credit accounts. This isn't end, because there are and other benefits. There is always a possibility to find more. Hope I have helped you, buddy.
Ummm, Not bad, man. Of course, it's very good source.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't disagree at all. For us, Notre Dame would have provided no assistance. It is all need based, not academic. I would have had to pay the whole $55K based on the information session and tour, we didn't actually apply and go through the process.
Too sad that there is nothing to look at now. RIP Notre Dame :C I was just thinking about borrowing money to see it but then that fire. Oh, it's terrible!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Too sad that there is nothing to look at now. RIP Notre Dame :C I was just thinking about borrowing money to see it but then that fire. Oh, it's terrible!
LOL. That's a strange place to cry about Notre Dame. And it's not COMPLETELY destroyed. You still can go there and see it. The problem is - do you need it at all? If you can't afford travel to Paris, just forget about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
LOL. That's a strange place to cry about Notre Dame. And it's not COMPLETELY destroyed. You still can go there and see it. The problem is - do you need it at all? If you can't afford travel to Paris, just forget about it.
Man, that's bloody rude of you to say stuff like that to a stranger. Of course, I can afford it! If banks give me money, it means that I am solvent. They don't give money to someone who can't pay it off. For example, last month guys from https://expertpaydayloans.com gave me money for a car repair. Yes, I have a car. And a house too. And a lot of stuff, you know. I'm not some useless bum, as you think. It's just about I don't have money right now. Is it some kind of a sin or what? What's your problem anyway?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Man, that's bloody rude of you to say stuff like that to a stranger. Of course, I can afford it! If banks give me money, it means that I am solvent. They don't give money to someone who can't pay it off. For example, last month guys from https://expertpaydayloans.com gave me money for a car repair. Yes, I have a car. And a house too. And a lot of stuff, you know. I'm not some useless bum, as you think. It's just about I don't have money right now. Is it some kind of a sin or what? What's your problem anyway?
I don't have any problems. It's just... Ah, nevermind. Let's not botter the dead topics :D Have a nice day.

·
Registered
53 Posts
To be honest, I prefer neither short term loan payments nor long term loan payments. A credit card is the most appropriate way for me. I usually read here reviews on different credit cards and this way I define what I need. In reality, there are many beneficial offers among credit cards which are definitely worth your attention

·
Registered
53 Posts
It is a very difficult question. Everything depends on the situation. Let's imagine that we need a loan for a startup but there are millions of startups and every deal requires a unique approach. That's why this is necessary to take a look at a site with detailed information about startups

21 - 36 of 36 Posts