EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

Should GM fix the NAV software?

• Yes - Unristrict NAV and other options while the vehicle is in motion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - But only when front passenger Air bag is active, i.e, front passenger seat occupied

• No - Leave it as is

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many people get frustrated when the NAV, XM, CD etc operation is locked out while the vehicle is in motion. I was wondering if it is too difficult for GM to program the software with the front passenger seat. If it is occupied then unrestrict so the changes can be made.

The other day my wife and I were heading somewhere, when suddenly we felt the need of caffine, wanted to search for nearest Dunkin Donuts, but the Nav locked us out, so I had pull over to get that working, really really annoying!!!!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
My only other car with a nav was my Pilot, nothing was locked out ever, and look I lived long enough to trade it in on my Enclave.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Nav lock doesnt bother me too much as once set you can cancel and managing the screen while driving can be distracting.

XM is a different sotry - major pain in the arse as you're not typing an address from a keyboard but simply trying to page down to a category which can be done very slowly if required.........

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, I wouldn't say it should be "fixed", as I don't think of it as "broken". It's just a product / safety feature that doesn't agree with everyone. Yes, it's annoying but I can understand why it was done and as someone pointed out, I'd rather have the person riding behind me or coming at me concentrating on driving, not monkeying around with finding a POI.

Having said that, there is opportunity to find a balance between safety and convenience.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
austin71 said:
Having said that, there is opportunity to find a balance between safety and convenience. For example, if there was some kind of "Passenger Override" button located on the passenger side (like on the side of the seat facing the passenger door or on the passenger door itself). This would be far enough away from the driver so as to prevent the driver from being unsafe if driving alone, but by being on the passenger side it would also "prove" to the system that there is a passenger in the car that is capable of controlling the nav while the vehicle is in motion.

I'm sure that's easier said than done, but it would be nice.
How about using the passenger seat airbag on/off switch? The Enclave has one doesn't it?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yes the Enclave has it and that would be a great idea and not all that difficult to implement.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Can you tell that I don't sit in the passenger seat real often?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I just happen to look at the airbag on/off light when my aunt gets in the car. As long as she is at a decent weight, the airbag on light comes on. That should be an EASY trigger to unlock the NAV & XM.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
That would be great, I will just have to get a bag of rock salt to ride along with me... ;D

·
Registered
410 Posts
YES YES YES YES

They should change the Nav SW so that you CAN use it when there is someone in the passenger seat. With a salt sensor for bsox :)

They should also change it to disable pretty much every touchscreen feature when there is no one in the passenger seat, with the exception of changing the scale and toggling the upcoming exists. I do not like the idea of someone cruising down towards me at 75 MPH in a 5000 lb vehicle while being distracted because they are moving the map to a different area, looking at what gas stations are at upcoming exits, etc. [While, I admit, I have done.....]

Since you got me started (and this is your fault!), here's what else they should change.

• Allow sorting the address book. Either I'm really stupid for not finding how to do it, or GM is really really stupid for not having a way to sort it
  • Allow entering address book entries directly, rather than having to enter it as a destination, and then add to address book. Small thing, but more intuitive.
  • Slightly better algorithm for which roads to display at which scale. For example, if I'm on a road that only displays on the 1/8 scale, it should still display it at 1/4 and 1/2 (and maybe higher) scales. It's a bit disconcerting to be driving in what looks like no road.
  • The Nav system estimate of time remaining seems totally broken. I haven't used it a lot, but it seems to take the distance divided by current speedlimit speed, and that's it. The one example I found it seemed to assume I could do 55 MPH through downtown Chicago....
  • A way to show all the Points-of-Interest at an exit all at once in text form, with name, type, description. Right now it shows things as a bunch of icons, I need to click on each icon to know what it is. I want everything listed.
  • Increase the number of nav voice commands. At the very least suspend and cancel navigation. I don't like having to take my eyes off the road to suspend navigation. Changing scale would be nice too.
  • Automatic ambient-light sensitive display brightness. During the day I want it bright, at night I want it dim, and I don't want to have to manually change it. [At the very least, having the upper-right knob control the brightness would be a major major improvement.] [The existing night/day is not what I want, it just changes the background color of the nav. I want the brightness to change.]
  • Took a road-trip to Chicago over the weekend, and found the "points-of-interest" pretty useless. Seem no more than 1/5 of the gas stations and restaurants were listed. Anyone else have better luck with it?
  • Allow entering directions via voice. Right now can only use existing voice tags, which doesn't help for new locations. [And don't tell me that's what onstar is for, I paid $1500 for the nav, I'm not paying an extra $400 a year for the exact same feature.]
  • When the system is giving me directions, I want it to use text-to-speech to tell me the name of the street on which I should turn. Even if it doesn't pronounce it perfectly, it would be very helpful

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the reason I added both Yes questions. I know safety is a concern and good that GM thought about it. But if they only enable the functions when someone is sitting in the front seat it can help a lot.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
austin71 said:
Well, I wouldn't say it should be "fixed", as I don't think of it as "broken". It's just a product / safety feature that doesn't agree with everyone. Yes, it's annoying but I can understand why it was done and as someone pointed out, I'd rather have the person riding behind me or coming at me concentrating on driving, not monkeying around with finding a POI.

Having said that, there is opportunity to find a balance between safety and convenience.
I have own my Enclave for over 6 months, and have yet to see another Enclave in my rear view mirror, so the chances of another Enclave ramming into you are slim to none :p

There are many other things that distract drivers, such as passengers, day dreaming, work related stress, talking over the phone etc etc, and surprisingly all of those either come with the enclave or are otherwise welcomed. Splashing a disclaimer everytime you start the vehicle should suffice the legal needs. Just like GM is not responsible if an inexperienced person drives the vehicle and smashes in to the wall, driving while using the NAV should not fall on their laps of responsitbility. It should be driver's responisbility, if someone is not comfortable using it, he/she shouldn't, while allow the rest of the population to use at its own discretion.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I could not agree with you more Coop.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I mostly agree with you, coop. Ultimately, it is always up to the driver to drive safely, pay attention to the road, etc.

That said, cars should also be designed to be as safe as (reasonably) possible. That means, among other things, well designed controls that one can use without taking ones eyes off the road, and features that do not tempt you drive irresponsibly. To me, allowing too much being done on the touchscreen is too big of a temptation, and for the sake of general safety I think it's a bad idea.

IMO the legal disclaimer is a PoS. It may or may not protect the company (just saying it's not your responsibility doesn't make it so), but I'm concerned about actual safety.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Did you ever see someone putting on makeup while driving?? They should put a disclaimer on makeup!! ;) I must agree with you coop, you coverd it all with your list of distractions.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
coop, I think people who own "red jewel" Enclave's think alike ;D :thumb: I have said the EXACT same thing. I have also "cussed out lawyers" when I can't use the NAV without pulling over and stopping.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jbradfor said:
I mostly agree with you, coop. Ultimately, it is always up to the driver to drive safely, pay attention to the road, etc.

That said, cars should also be designed to be as safe as (reasonably) possible. That means, among other things, well designed controls that one can use without taking ones eyes off the road, and features that do not tempt you drive irresponsibly. To me, allowing too much being done on the touchscreen is too big of a temptation, and for the sake of general safety I think it's a bad idea.

IMO the legal disclaimer is a PoS. It may or may not protect the company (just saying it's not your responsibility doesn't make it so), but I'm concerned about actual safety.
I think Drunk driving maybe one of the top ten reasons for accidents, they need to work on ways to prevent a drunk driver getting behind the wheel.

Not too long ago, there were no steering wheel controls or voice activated commands for audio and AC controls, people were driving vehicles changing cassettes, forwarding to the songs they wanted to hear etc, and the manufacturers still offered stereros, ACs and heaters etc, those were still distracting the drivers and accidents were still happening, I don't remember any incident where someone sued a car manufacture that their stereo was too diffcult to operate and caused the accident.

Even today very few states have laws to ban the use of hand held phone while driving, heck I see teenagers texting while driving!!!

Yes, cars have to be safe, driving a 5000-lb vehicle at 70 miles an hour with or without NAV will make no difference when it hit a deer, a person, a car or a wall, it will be a crash from all angles. Accidents happen, so a car has to be safe for the passengers in the vehicle as well as for the people outside. Preventing the use of NAV will only do so much to the safety.

A driver must pay attention to the road, that is the reponsibility of the driver not the car manufacturer. I see more an more people with portable GPS systems in their vehicles, dont you think those should be banned, since they do not have such great safety feature built-in?

And again, I am not saying unlock it all together, if the passenger occupancy switch can be used, it will be a great help and you can get a use out of your $2000 option, unless you are a realtor, electrician or a plumber how often do you go to unknown places? This thing is great for POIs, so you are coming back from work and get stuck in traffic, hit a few buttons to find an alernate route, or probably find a library or starbucks to land while the traffic subside. Find a flourist to buy flowers for your wife, just on an spontenous thought etc. It will be great ;)

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Find a flourist to buy flowers for your wife, just on an spontenous thought etc. It will be great

WHAT A GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bsox said:
Find a flourist to buy flowers for your wife, just on an spontenous thought etc. It will be great

WHAT A GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My wife visits this site once in a while, I wanna make her happy, I want her to see that I am not wasting my time here ;D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts