EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2008 Enclave and like the looks and many of the features but it’s not without its problems (many of which could be considered normal wear and tear but many) related to a crappy drainage system for the sunroof. Fortunately it’s parked in the garage but we’ve literally had it pouring water into the interior of the car while driving down the highway when we come across a downpour. For the record we’ve paid the dealership twice to fix the issue and I’ve gotten great at cleaning it out but the flow simply isn’t there. Now that I’ve gotten that out of my system (it’s stressed me out considerably), we’re having other issues with it that has me wanting to replace it. My wife wants another Enclave but I don’t want to deal with similar issues if I don’t have to. Obviously, I’ll avoid the sunroof (though I do like it when it doesn’t rain), but what other issues have you guys seen/heard of? If you’ve bought one in the past 2-3 years, would you opt for a different year, style, etc? If not for the third row and all the storage space when folded down I could probably talk her into something else but she loves the space for the occasional time we have company and otherwise loves the storage. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm sure they have changed the sunroof design by now, as you are probably not the only owner who had leakage problems. So far, I have not seen any leakage in mine. I went with the Avenir for the smooth ride, more cargo space and the third row seating. The suspension included with the Tech Package is noticeably better than the standard suspension. Also, being sort of a gadget guy, I like the tech in the Avenir. Despite a few minor annoyances and that it sometimes applies the brakes a bit later than it should while in adaptive cruise mode, I do like the vehicle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I moved from a 2008 Lucerne to the 2018 Avenier. My Lucerne leaked into the trunk once and it was the overflow was clogged. I ahve the sun and moon roofs and no issues so far.

The tech on the Avenier with the tech package is great. The integration of Android auto and the ability to get traffic based navigation without onstar is nice.

I love the seat vibration warning system, I have all the bells turned off and just the seat vibrates.

If you want to drive over a solid white line put your turn signal on or you will be steering against the lane departure system. On my 1700 mile road trip with 5+ hours of traffic jams I averaged over 26 MPG.

My last leg went 425 miles after fill up then about another 120-150 miles of around town driving once I got home.

·
Registered
19 Posts
we never had an leaking issues or really any issues to speak of on our 2013 enclave premium with double sunroofs other than rear AC compressor went out. Traded in for a 2018 avenir last month (with double sunroofs), it has slightly more space. The cockpit seems tighter to my wife since the center console wraps more into the dash (she says she prefers the older design still, but I think its just something that she is still getting used to as she has only been driving it for a month). Overall, smoother ride and acceleration, better mileage and we both like the lines better on the newer model.

·
Registered
406 Posts
You can't really judge how the 2018 will be based on the history of the 09-17 because the 18 is a total redesign. Different platform, engine and trans.

That said I'm not a fan of buying any first year total redesign. The good news there is the C1XX platform was in service before GM dropped the Enclave on it so it's not totally untested (2017 Cadillac XT5, 2017 Acadia and 2018 Traverse).

·
Registered
140 Posts
I owned 09 Traverse LTZ that was the first model year. I really like that car but it had its problems. I traded it for a 15 Enclave Premium that was 18 months old and 5000 miles. After 2 1/2 years of ownership it has been problem free.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I really enjoy my 09 Enclave, but it has had many, many problems in the 9 years I've owned it. I have less than 74,000 miles and already had to rebuild the transmission. At 13,000 miles the entire dashboard had to be removed (twice) to replace the evaporator, then the HVAC case. Even the rear evaporator was replaced. The transmission was fixed at around 32,000 miles, then totally rebuilt at 73,400 miles as mentioned above. Coils, brake booster, steering rack replaced 3x, etc. - the list goes on. I still have to do brakes and struts too, but the trans rebuild was expensive. All these problems with less than 74,000 miles on it. GM should be ashamed to have produced such an unreliable vehicle, but I'd be willing to bet a few managers and vice presidents got huge bonuses through all the cost cutting.

The sad thing is that my 09 Enclave was one of the nicest vehicles I've owned; the versatility/room/style is what sold my wife and I, and the desire to buy an American vehicle and support our workers. However, the poor reliability is the reason I will look elsewhere for my next vehicle.

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you went by forum posts trying to decide what car was reliable you'd likely never buy another car. The majority of people on forums are people that have had a problem with their car while the majority of people who don't have problems with car will never sign up to post on a forum. This is even more true for non-enthusiast models like SUV's. This has been the same for every car specific forum I've ever been on.

Overall the Enclave is rated better than average in terms of reliability when you look at sources like JD Powers that do proper random samplings of owners.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I LIVED these problems and all the time off of work to take the car to the dealership. Sure GM covered all the repairs, but no one paid me for the time and hassle to take the car into the dealership, then take it back some of the times because they either didn't fix the problem correctly or broke something else. My friends with Toyotas and Hondas never had the amount of problems I had - ever. My experience tells me a lot about GM reliability. I don't like being the beta tester for GM products.

With that being said, when the Enclave works it's an excellent vehicle and I enjoy driving it. I just don't enjoy the problems.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I LIVED these problems and all the time off of work to take the car to the dealership.
And of the other cars you've owned in your life that didn't give you issues did you sign up for that model specific forum and post about your lack of problems? If not, that's my point. The majority of Enclave owners, or any make/model vehicle owners that aren't having problems aren't on forums.

·
Registered
342 Posts
JayS, you do have a valid point. I agree - most that are not having problems aren't going to post on forums. I'm not so sure about JD Powers reliability studies. Nevertheless, the fact of all the recalls on timing chains, transmission wave plates, power steering, etc. proves that this vehicle has major reliability issues, especially in the early years. Such a pity when otherwise the Enclave is one of the nicest SUVs out there.

With that being said, GM did fix a lot of the problems in the later years. When I was having transmission problems and did some research on common issues found for the 6T75 this vehicle uses, many of the transmission rebuild sites did say GM change the internals several times and by the time the 2013 models came around, the second generation of the 6T75 was fairly robust without the issues of the earlier models.

My advice for anyone thinking about buying a new Enclave is to wait for 3-4 years after it has come out. The 9 speed transmission is new and it will take a few years to work out the bugs.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Having ordered 2011,2014 & 2017 (current) all the same Quicksilver and Premium w/ sunroof & Tow package. All of these vehicles have been flawless. I would highly recommend the 2013 as most bugs have been worked out. Gen 2 Enclaves haven't been out long enough for MFR to resolve lots of issues. Same with the 2008 - 2010 with many issues. I highly recommend waiting on on the 2018 second design to let most issues be solved.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I LIVED these problems and all the time off of work to take the car to the dealership. Sure GM covered all the repairs, but no one paid me for the time and hassle to take the car into the dealership, then take it back some of the times because they either didn't fix the problem correctly or broke something else. My friends with Toyotas and Hondas never had the amount of problems I had - ever. My experience tells me a lot about GM reliability. I don't like being the beta tester for GM products.

With that being said, when the Enclave works it's an excellent vehicle and I enjoy driving it. I just don't enjoy the problems.

I bought my last 3 gm vehicles from the same dealer who is about a mile from work. I drop the vehicle off on the way to work and if its more than a day they give me a loaner, otherwise they take me to work and pick me up. Sometimes its as much as a 30 minute wait if I get there around 8, if I am there around 7 they usually tek me to work right away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2019 Enclave

I just rented a car randomly through Hertz in Nashville. They gave me a 2019 model with all of 6 miles on it. I fell in total love with this car. I own a 2017 model and had prior to that a 2014. I'll wait a year to let the bugs get worked out, but really is a nice ride!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've owned the Avenir for about three months now. I have never bought a first model year vehicle, but I decided to do it this time. So far, I have no regrets. There are only three things that I would have changed, which I mentioned in another thread. Yesterday, I was driving in a blinding rainstorm for about twenty minutes. Not one drop of rain came through the sunroof. It gets 26-28 mpg highway, which is excellent for such a large vehicle. I'm not too thrilled with the navigation voice recognition capability, but it is marginally better than the Grand Cherokee I traded in.

The nine speed tranny makes it haul off the line if you are so inclined. So much so that it burns rubber on hard, dry pavement when in FWD as opposed to AWD. :grin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
Alvenir
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing