EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! We are looking to purchase an enclave. What years should we avoid? Looks like the 2008 is having some issues now? How is the 2011? I’m low on funds and need something dependable. I’m so worried to purchase some tans have to pour $ into it. I’d love any input before a pull the trigger on one. Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Enclave Premium AWD Dark Slate Metallic
207 Posts
Hello! We are looking to purchase an enclave. What years should we avoid? Looks like the 2008 is having some issues now? How is the 2011? I’m low on funds and need something dependable. I’m so worried to purchase some tans have to pour $ into it. I’d love any input before a pull the trigger on one. Thanks!
The Enclave in my opinion is a good reliable car. I had a 15 that was flawless. Traded it with 50000 miles. I now have a 21 that i like a lot. Now the not so good news. Old high mile car, no matter what make or brand are a roll of the dice. My advice to you would be buy the newest lowest mile car of any make or model that you can afford. Good luck to you in you search

Reactions: Should I??

·
Registered
2015 Buick Enclave
58 Posts
This is my own personal opinion, so please don't take it as the final word on your question. We purchased a used 2015 Enclave AWD in 2018 with about 28K miles on it - it's been relatively problem free (front struts, links and a squeaky brake booster replaced under warranty, shortly after purchase. One wheel bearing was also replaced after it lost it's wheel speed magnetic ring). We've put another 25K miles mostly city driving it in the past 4 years , so we don't drive that much. Other than those relatively minor issues, I personally do all the maintenance and it's been very reliable . The enclave is a gas burner - that's probably my biggest issue. If you're planning on driving it a lot, I would pass on it and find something that burns less gas. It's also boat like, so difficult to maneuver in tight spaces (very challenging for our new teenage children to learn on) .

I would only consider one if you can truly find an affordable one, with low miles , well maintained and with absolutely no issues . I would never purchase one without an independent mechanic inspecting it. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
If your pockets are deep... but seriously, yes. Can't beat the roominess and comfort.

Reactions: Should I??

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If your pockets are deep... but seriously, yes. Can't beat the roominess and comfort.
I’m on my 2nd Enclave and purchased an extended warranty on both and have gotten my money back on covered repairs. I purchased the extended warranty from the selling GM dealership and they have taken care of me without any hassle. Just one AC repair can cost big $.

·
Registered
17 Posts
While I LOVE my Enclaves. If I was on a strict budget and not wanting to spend a ton, but need a vehicle capable of hauling up to 7 people... I'd get a Grand Caravan or Town & Country, or Pacifica minivan. The tires will be much cheaper than any you can put on a 7 passenger SUV. An 11 year old SUV will likely need things like tires, brakes, wipers, rotors, etc. The cheapest I've gotten our tires for was $800 for Hankooks and they sucked. We slid and peeled out anytime it rained. Or even just taking off from a stop light.

The minivans come with their own issues but are easier to work on, parts tend to be cheaper, etc. We had one prior to our '12 Acadia. It didn't require a 3 ton jack, or 3 ton rated ramps, etc. It was just easier all around. My husband misses the ease of that and our 2012 Cruze we got rid of a year ago. Plus with a Grand Caravan,Town and County, Pacifica you'll likely get Stow N Go and that is amazing to have if you're hauling a bunch of kids or pets around.

Sorry if you're not getting the answers your really wanted. But for us, our most cost effective vehicles that didn't have bumper to bumper warranty, were our 2012 Cruze and our Grand Caravan. We've had Toyotas, Mazdas, Jeeps, Dodges, GMC, GMs, Chevy's, Buicks, and Honda's, those 2 we're still the easiest to work on and find parts for.

In fact, I was looking at a '22 Pacifica or a '22 Grand Cherokee L if I didn't get my '22 Avenir.

Reactions: Should I?? and JayS

·
Administrator
761 Posts
To follow up on my previous post. Looking at autotrader there are 21 2011 Enclaves for sale within 300 miles of my 14221 zip, all between approx 100k and 150k, around $10k-13k. You're worried you're going to have to put money into it? Well you're definitely going to have to put money into any 11 year old car with over 100k miles, that's pretty much a given. A car at that point in it's life should be one you've long since paid off and you're ok with the $500 to $2000 in repairs every year because it's still much cheaper than a car payment. And that $500-$2000 budget assumes you're doing things like suspension, brakes, and minor engine electric (coils, purge valves etc) yourself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’m on my 2nd Enclave and purchased an extended warranty on both and have gotten my money back on covered repairs. I purchased the extended warranty from the selling GM dealership and they have taken care of me without any hassle. Just one AC repair can cost big $.
Just curious, was the extended through Zurich? Our dealership built in the $500 price tag for Zurich into our trade in. So we're back to 4yr/50k supposedly. Was curious to if it was actually good or not, if you did get it through Zurich.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
My extended warranty is thru Enduranceds.com. I wanted a high mileage long lasting warranty and was able to purchase a $0 deductible, Premier Coverage (their best policy), 60 months with an additional 120k miles from my purchase mileage since we often travel. My coverage ends 6/22 or 171K miles whichever comes first.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My extended warranty is thru Enduranceds.com. I wanted a high mileage long lasting warranty and was able to purchase a $0 deductible, Premier Coverage (their best policy), 60 months with an additional 120k miles from my purchase mileage since we often travel. My coverage ends 6/22 or 171K miles whichever comes first.
Ahhh ok. They only offer Zurich at the dealership we went to.

I'll have to have my husband look into the one you have. We're not sure if we're keeping this one long term or trading in after 3 years like the previous ones.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2011. I bought it about 3 years ago with 75,000 miles for $13k. (Lol. With the need for used cars I could still probably get 12 or 13)
I only bought it because I need to trailer my motorcycle and wanted towing capacity. I didn't set out to buy the Buick. After researching strictly based on towing the Buick enclave was the best choice. I have the fully loaded cxl with toe kit 20 inch wheels leather etc etc.

I have been hoping I don't have troubles. When you follow the forums you see a lot of troubles. But a lot of people helping solve them. By nature you usually get nothing but complaints on the forums. It's and Arizona car and the battery died 2 months after picking it up from used car dealer 1 Bose speaker doesn't work I don't think it ever worked. Air conditioned seats are dicey. I've never had navigation and I think they're crap. Even on my harley. .

I LOVE THE CAR.

I really feel that if you get a Good one .....you got a GREAT one

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve had three of these cars all purchased brand new - just dumped the 2011 as it had too many high priced repairs as it went past 90 to 100k miles. My 2012 has been an on and off money pit past 60k miles but still going. Now, I like them and they are the most useful cars I’ve ever owned, but big $ repairs as they get up there in age in my experience. Low Mileage doesn’t even matter. Could be the case for other cars but these are kind of pricey to keep going. I plan to dump the 2022 once warranty is up or soon after at first sign of pricey repairs…. Go for a Honda or Toyota - just my opinion given what you are after (owned those too).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve had three of these cars - just dumped the 2011 as it had too many high priced repairs as it went past 90 to 100k miles. My 2012 has been an on and off money pit past 60k miles. Now, I like them and they are the most useful cars I’ve ever owned, but big $ repairs as they get up there in age in my experience. Low Mileage doesn’t even matter. Could be the case for other cars but these are kind of pricey to keep going. I plan to dump the 2022 once warranty is up or soon after at first sign of pricey repairs…. Go for a Honda or Toyota - just my opinion given what you are after (owned those too).
I have a 2009 that I bought New. I have 72000 miles on it. Never had any problems with this car. Love it

·
Registered
56 Posts
I concur with most of the previous responses. I have a 2014 that has been pretty much problem free. But as cars age and gain milage, repairs are necessary. These cars are built in a way that requires many expensive repairs when things go wrong (as they ultimately do). The air conditioning system is complex and expensive to fix. The motor mounts do a good job of dampening vibration from the engine into the cabin, but they are liquid filled and expensive to replace. The actuators for the heating and cooling system are buried deep beneath the dashboard and while the actual part is inexpensive, the labor to get there to replace them is not! So, if you can find a well-maintained one that is within your budget AND you can put away about $200 a month to fund repairs, then go for it! If its a stretch to purchase leaving you without the ability in your budget to put away $200 a month to fund repairs, look elsewhere IMHO. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
I stepped aside and now, also, have a 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited AWD. What an incredible car. I still have my 2008 Enclave CXL AWD and like driving it once in a while. Size and maneuverability in them are comparable, but the mileage is so much better in the Palisade. My 08 Enclave mpg is sucking. I transplanted an engine from a donor Traverse. And am only getting 13 city. Whereas, I am getting 20's city in the Palisade.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I concur with most of the previous responses. I have a 2014 that has been pretty much problem free. But as cars age and gain milage, repairs are necessary. These cars are built in a way that requires many expensive repairs when things go wrong (as they ultimately do). The air conditioning system is complex and expensive to fix. The motor mounts do a good job of dampening vibration from the engine into the cabin, but they are liquid filled and expensive to replace. The actuators for the heating and cooling system are buried deep beneath the dashboard and while the actual part is inexpensive, the labor to get there to replace them is not! So, if you can find a well-maintained one that is within your budget AND you can put away about $200 a month to fund repairs, then go for it! If its a stretch to purchase leaving you without the ability in your budget to put away $200 a month to fund repairs, look elsewhere IMHO. Good luck!
^^^ this. Exactly the number i would figure on per month keeping an old one going once up there in age. Sadly even if you’re on a hot streak for awhile, the next 2k trip to dealer can come along at any time - on anything you can imagine. As example, Both my 2011 and 2012 cars had a/c fail and one was 1800 the other 2600 in service bills. No option to wait on that in summertime with kids.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts