EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am now in the Chicagoland area and about to get our first winter with the 2017 FWD Enclave. Has anyone had any good/bad experiences using the Enclave in the snow. Tires are in good condition, but certainly not special tires. It is generally flat in our area as well. Not sure if to trade it in for AWD, buy new tires, or leave it as is. Thanks!

Hank

·
Super Moderator
552 Posts
Spent much of my life with FWD cars in northern NY with no problem. AWD is definitely better though. Currently have an AWD Enclave and AWD Audi S5, both of which run dedicated snow tires making them a pair of the best snow vehicles I’ve owned. As an avid skier I never want to hear the phrase, “the roads are too bad to go” because that’s when the skiing is best so our vehicles are setup accordingly.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
704 Posts
If you can get a good set of dedicated Winter tires you would probably be satisfied with them on the Flatlands of Chicago. You would have better handling and shorter stopping distance over an AWD SUV without Winter tires, starting off, maybe not as much . Winter tires perform superior to most other vehicles without the snows, just put all four winters on.
Tirerack has package deals with wheels and tires, mounted and balanced, Pressure sensors available as well. You can also check Craigslist and Ebay for tires and tire/wheels.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
704 Posts
BTW Jay. Do you go to Gore? See they replaced the High Peaks Double with a Quad, as well as Sunway Chair. (y)

·
Super Moderator
552 Posts
BTW Jay. Do you go to Gore? See they replaced the High Peaks Double with a Quad, as well as Sunway Chair. (y)
I had not seen that but we love Gore. That was our presidents week trip last season in fact. No mention on their site if that is a regular or high speed quad. Gore DESPERATELY needs more high speed lifts. Most of their expert terrain is all standard lifts and it kills your actual ski time.
1595675549524.jpeg

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
704 Posts
Sorry to Hijack the tread Hank but Jay and I both need AWD and Winter tires for the dozen or so days we really put them to good use, as you can see.
Looks like at least the Highpeaks is a conveyor load, so not detachable but Higher speed and it goes all the way to the Peak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys, I am now in the Chicagoland area and about to get our first winter with the 2017 FWD Enclave. Has anyone had any good/bad experiences using the Enclave in the snow. Tires are in good condition, but certainly not special tires. It is generally flat in our area as well. Not sure if to trade it in for AWD, buy new tires, or leave it as is. Thanks!

Hank
I grew up around the great lakes. My experience is 4x4 is great but it can be a false sense of security--people don't adjust their speed/driving habits for winter weather. I'd see TONS of 4x4 pickups and SUVs in ditches, meanwhile my FWD little Toyota would blow through 2 foot snow drifts no problem.

If you're intimidated by white-outs, snowsqualls, and black ice, I'd suggest taking a winter driving class on a weekend or something (in addition to getting decent winter tires).

·
Registered
48 Posts
From the Canadian view point, AWD is nice to have, but not always necessary. I usually witness 4x4/AWD SUVs in the ditches after first snow fall here as people just don't adjust right away. My E is FWD and I ran Blizzaks last winter, no issues at all. Yes, My wife's AWD Rav4 gets off the line easier (also running winter tires), but I found the E to work very well in the snow, likely its weight helps alot! It has much to do with your driving habits in the winter as well as being properly equipped. Here, we get an insurance discount for running snow tires from November 1st to April 30th (varies a bit by insurance company for dates, that's mine)
That being said, my next SUV will be 4WD, as thats how it comes standard (2016+ Explorer Sport) Don't let 4wd give you a false sense of security in the winter, adjust your driving to the conditions. But, if in a snow area, get a good quality set of winter tires! (Michelin Xice, Bridgestone Blizzaks, Nokina Hakkapeliitta)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts