EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been told to change your oil after the first 1500 miles to remove metal shavings and other materials in the engine. Any thoughts?

DW

·
Registered
2,662 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
PAPoPo said:
l0l here we go again!!!
Exactly. The forum software ought to automatically substitute "religion" or "politics" when it sees the word oil. The net affect is the same.

By the way, welcome aboard DW.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
FWIW............go Syntec oil asap. It yields a bit better mileage (my experiments) and greter service interval. Syn -tec oils meet GM specs.

·
Registered
758 Posts
PAPoPo said:
l0l here we go again!!!
I won't say a thing! :angel:

TM

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
yes dw I wasnt laughing at you, I laughed because we just had this discussion in length yesterday.. BSOX gave you a good link to check out for your perusal!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
150 miles or 15 minutes, whichever comes first. ;)

Trust me, even though oil does seem to inflame passions around here, it isn't even close to politics. As far as discussing religion in here, even I know better.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
TinMan has enormous will power! But who knows more about oil cans than him????

Yes, oil is a very slippery subject! ::) Done.
Thanks! LOL! :blob:

TM

·
Registered
181 Posts
Our Son and I just came back from a local Chevy Dealer and they showed the "INFO" from G.M. that said "oil doesn't
need to be changed until the oil life indicator reads 25%". But The Service Manager agreed with me not to wait until the change oil
Light comes on. Someone else mentioned this earlier on the forum about the oil life monitor info from G.M..
I will not go more than 6 mos. no mater what the oil life indicator reads!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Tin Man said:
I won't say a thing! :angel:

TM
BUT! Run on the factory oil for at least 5,000 miles before changing to synthetic!
An engine will npt break in properly on synthetic oil, and could become an oil burner. Many engine manufacturery include this warning in the owners manual.

·
Registered
134 Posts
DW said:
I have always been told to change your oil after the first 1500 miles to remove metal shavings and other materials in the engine. Any thoughts?

DW
Welcome DW!
Metal shavings is an old myth, but if ther were any they would be trapped by the oil filter before doing any damage.
Take advantage of the oil life monitor and save a lot of money! ;D

·
Registered
107 Posts
why not............why do you even have to ask, it surely will not hurt.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
newtobuick said:
BUT! Run on the factory oil for at least 5,000 miles before changing to synthetic!
An engine will npt break in properly on synthetic oil, and could become an oil burner. Many engine manufacturery include this warning in the owners manual.
rick418cars said:
why not............why do you even have to ask, it surely will not hurt.
Hmmmmmmm... ?? :eek:hno:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Our Buick Dealer Said not to run Synthetic oil until after 12-15,000 Miles if at all! Said the newer engines are made to run
on regular oil! I still intend to change to Synthetic when the Clave has the above recommended miles.
I have run it with great results inn every new car since 1993.(5 To Be Exact)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
ok someone had posted this earlier than why does the cadillac CTS with the same engine come with synthetic from the factory? Waiting has nothing to do with anything in this case......

·
Registered
325 Posts
PAPoPo said:
ok someone had posted this earlier than why does the cadillac CTS with the same engine come with synthetic from the factory? Waiting has nothing to do with anything in this case......
I had posted that & like I said....there are more opinions about oil than there are posters. Even the dealers have as many opinions as there are dealers. I guess that 3.6 engine "knows" that its in a CTS & when its in an Enclave....ridiculous! Change your oil when you think you should which I think would be around 25% on the "oil monitor" or not more than 1 yr....there another opinion! :angel: :banghead: :blob:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
ok now i want to know more about when to change to synthetic because i was just planning on changing it to that at 1,000 miles..

·
Registered
114 Posts
I changed my oil today to AMSOIL. I have 13,000 miles. The drain is pretty straightforward, but the FILTER is a study in frustration. The filter is in a place where it is not accessible from underneath. You cannot get your hand through the the lower subframe. Since it only comes from the top, there is no way you can avoid an oil spill on the front of the engine. Besides, the engine is very hot, and you can get burned really fast if you' re not careful.

Some things I noticed:

1. It takes a lot of time to get all the oil out of the crankcase. If you do it yourself, take your time or you'll have some old oil still in there. Dealers changing oil on this car in 29 minutes or less may result in old oil still left in, or a mess left underneath where old oil has dripped when they rush. My car had unwiped oil in every place it was drained at the dealerships. That was enough for me. I'd rather take my time and do it right myself. The drain and oil filter change took me about 1 hour, as the crankcase oil just kept coming slower and slower. Even with a filter wrench, the hot parts on the front of the engine will burn you as you try to get the filter off.

2. Adding more than 5.5 quarts of engine oil will result in the extra oil getting into your throttle body. My dealership drained out better than 1/2 quart yesterday after I complained, and I still had oil up top. I have been driving this car since April 15th and I started checking things. One of the service advisors said on the phone that a little extra oil wouldn't hurt. I beg to differ. There was quite a bit inside the air intake hose. This oil found its' way into my throttle body.

They did not clean it out when they drained the extra oil yesterday, so I decided to do it myself today after I saw how much or how little they did. Don't add that extra 1/2 quart from the 6th quart bottle. I took a lot of pictures, and I may upload them once I figure out how to do it.

3. There is no oil pan or big drain plug for draining the transmission fluid. That may be quite a detailed procedure at 30,000 miles. I wonder what that will cost to service? I am used to doing this kind of service myself.

4. The close proximity of parts makes it really hard to do much service underneath. I am disappointed that it looks so hard to work on. Hoses and piping is routed all over the place, so it won't be easy.

I am trying to avoid repair bills for simple things I could do. I wonder how much the service manual for this vehicle will cost?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts