EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the Buick Enclave be shut off while moving at high speeds ?
I ask this question because as a former Toyota Highlander owner during the period of the run away Toyotas that was blamed on the floor mats. Toyota finally admitted it was due some defective drive by wire throttle units. They also cut the bottom of the new pedals shorter so they wouldn't touch the floor mats. They also came out with instructions on how to stop the run away vehicles.
Press the start button for about 3 seconds and the engine shuts off.

Since Buicks are drive by wire, do they have any way to stop a runaway vehicle ?

·
Registered
463 Posts
There is always neutral and the brakes and or emergency brakes

·
Registered
1 Posts
Every car I've had was an automatic made after 1993, and it wasn't possible to turn the car off unless it was in park. However, my uncle owned a manual from the 70's or 80's, and was actually able to push the clutch in and turn his car off and continue driving. He was basically coasting.
Also, in reference to /u/Torbunt I actually have driven with power steering disabled. It's difficult, but it's possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is always neutral and the brakes and or emergency brakes
I can't remember what the reason was that the run away, drive by wire Highlander couldn't be stopped. I remember reading articles of these cars hitting walls at low speed and run aways on the free ways. It cost me a speeding ticket (85 in a 55 ) Car suddenly reduced speed on it's own. This was back around 2012 in my 2010 Highlander

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am eager to answer this: Malcolm Gladwell did a podcast on this very topic - runaway cars. On a test track, he and a professional driver run the car up to 60 or so MPH, then pressed both the accelerator to the floor and the brake. The car always stopped. A brake will stop an automatic transmission car. His conclusion was people were in unfamiliar cars and pressing the accelerator thinking it was the brake. The more they panicked, the more they sped. 911 should advise them to take both feet off the pedals, and find the brake pedal and press it. Never mind turning off the car's engine and losing power steering.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts