EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the the sidesteps by themselves? How easy/difficult is it? Dealer wants to charge me approx $950 to install these. Basically about 320 to Install as I can order these for 620 from gmpartsdirect.com

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've heard it's difficult to install. Your dealer is more than likely charging you about $750 for the steps ($130 more than what you can get them for) and $200 for the install. I ordered from gmparts direct and then took the steps to the dealer to install for $150. They said they couldnt match the parts price of gmparts direct.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
My dealer charged me $650.00, installed when I took delivery in June.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Has anyone have the chrome sidesteps installed on their car or atleast pictures? Considering them on mine but wanted to see how they looked first, thanks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
ajaybarve said:
Has anyone installed the the sidesteps by themselves? How easy/difficult is it? Dealer wants to charge me approx $950 to install these. Basically about 320 to Install as I can order these for 620 from gmpartsdirect.com
I had mine installed for around $900 through the dealer and have been very happy with them. The dealer let me know that my assist steps (i.e., the first they installed) were not that easy to put on as they thought...so on a new car I would consdier having them put on by the dealer IMHO. See photos of them in my gallery.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Gator said:
I had mine installed for around $900 through the dealer and have been very happy with them. The dealer let me know that my assist steps (i.e., the first they installed) were not that easy to put on as they thought...so on a new car I would consdier having them put on by the dealer IMHO. See photos of them in my gallery.
Based on the $650 I paid (installed) I think I got a good deal. Of course I paid $2000 over list for the Enclave. :-[ :-[

JUST KIDDING, I did get a fair deal :blob: :blob:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just had mine installed today. Since my selling dealer is 525 miles away, I went to my local dealer and got what I feel is a pretty good deal. They ordered the steps for only $605.15 and charged $175 for the install. When I ordered I brought in a copy from GMPartsDirect showing the PN and online price and the parts guy said he could beat it. :thumb:
Why they aren't factory add-ons I don't know. We all end up with extra parts to store. ???

On a side note. My 6/4/07 ordered, fully loaded CXL AWD Blue/Gold with Ebony is now on this dealers lot (Needles CA). I gave up in August and bought mine out of the area. If anyone from Vegas, LA or Phoenix is looking for one on the ground it's here (with Chrome Discount if eligible). They were going to sell it to me for $500 over invoice, but I don't know the current circumstances.

Added some pics in the gallery.

Wayne

·
Registered
172 Posts
Got my integrated assist steps for $618.00 and installed n/c. I bugged my dealer about installing them n/c since I had a long wait for the vehicle. They finally gave in. When I picked my Enclave up after having them installed, the service manager said that they would be the last set they install for free. First ones they had done and I believe that it took around 2 1/2 hours. At least I feel like I got them on that one, even though they probably made good money on the steps anyway.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sounds like another great add-on. Does anyone have the part number for the side steps? I'd like to look at getting them for our "soon to arrive" cocoa mettalic clave!

thanks in advance

Lucas

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just had the side steps installed and they look great. there is a problem though. we just had some snow and when driving around in the slush the dirt and slush pile up on the assist step. after looking at the design the front of the step curves in to mold with the body and fender. I need to find a way or see if anybody knows of a solution or different part number for a splash guard to prevent this. every other assist step i've seen has a front splash guard integral with the step or at least designed to prevent this. My 1999 Yukon Denali had matched steps and they had a front splash guard as part of the step unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, I have not installed the side assist steps myself. I paid just under $700 for the dealer to install them. They look very nice. They fit the vehicle perfect and have a GM logo.
I have two children 3 and 4 years old. They can step on them when they get in and out of the vehicle. I would recommend them to anyone with kids. I'll try to post a photo soon.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hau said:
No, I have not installed the side assist steps myself. I paid just under $700 for the dealer to install them. They look very nice. They fit the vehicle perfect and have a GM logo.
I have two children 3 and 4 years old. They can step on them when they get in and out of the vehicle. I would recommend them to anyone with kids. I'll try to post a photo soon.
Love the name..it's what I *DO*!

Also, like the look and funtion of the assist steps..check my gallery for shadowed pix!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think installing the side assist steps yourself would be a lot of work. We had them installed on both our Enclaves and the dealer had to keep them all day. Apparently they have to take off all 4 tires and remove the bottom panel. The assis step is called molded assist because it actually takes the place of the bottom panel. The bottom panel and the step are all one piece. It's not like the old school steps where you just screw them in under the bottom.

·
Registered
67 Posts
maybe it's just me, hopefully, but it seems the car is somewhat loudert since the assist steps were added. anyone know if the bottom panel they remove has sound deadening features that either:
1. are not included in the assist steps or
2. the dealer "forgot" to replace?

Anyone else w/the assist steps notice any difference?

·
Registered
73 Posts
En-Clave, I do not have the molded assist steps but I do have the chrome ones. I have not noticed a difference as far as extra noises. But the lower cladding does not have to be removed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quick question...Are the side-steps functional? In that I mean are they wide enough to be used in getting in and out? It seems the door side of the front seats take quite a beating getting out and over time this may be a problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Reghed said:
Quick question...Are the side-steps functional? In that I mean are they wide enough to be used in getting in and out? It seems the door side of the front seats take quite a beating getting out and over time this may be a problem. Thanks.
I have a picture posted in my gallery showing their width with the door open. Personally, I don't use them to enter or egress. In fact, they make getting out harder (my personal opinion). I also deactivated the Easy Exit Seat as I feel it is easier for me to get out from the driving position. The steps do add to the finished look of the Enclave, and come in handy for washing and drying the sunroof glass.

Wayne

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks sunshadw. They certainly look good and just having them to dry the roof may be worth the cost. It looks like they're wide enough to help as long as you don't slip. I would benefit from them as much as my wife. Thanks again for you reply and pics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So has anyone actually installed these themselves? I'm pretty mechanically versed, but I don't want to get into a job that requires fabrication or modification to any OEM parts. The time is not an issue for me nor is removing the wheels. Anyone tackle this yet? Pointers? Suggestions?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts