EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my front tires are rubbing the side of the strut, but does not seem to do it continuously. There is a polished spot on the strut and signs of minor rubbing on the tire.

I never hear the noise, and there is no major damage to the tires. I only noticed when rotating my tires

The front lower control arm bushing needs to be replaced, but isn't too terrible and I don't have any suspension noise. Would that cause the issue? Where should I start looking? Tire size is stock

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
are you sure the tires are stock for your trim?
Have the struts ever been changed?

Im wondering if theres enough play in suspension bushings etc to cause the tire to come into contact in certain maneuvers... like making sharp turns.

·
Super Moderator
717 Posts
Assuming you have the correct size tires I'm guessing you have a combination of worn suspension that's giving enough play under a turning load to let the tire come in contact with the strut. In addition to control arm bushings take a close look at the strut mount at the top of the strut.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I replaced the tie rod ends and front lower control arm bushings today. Also had the wheels aligned. Steering is much tighter now

The struts appear to have been replaced recently, and I don't see anything unusual around the strut mount. While I was was under there I saw that I had some other bushings that are probably due to be replaced soon.

If the rubbing continues I'll update this thread with my findings

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
yeah... been there, done that.... as in if youre going to replace suspension parts..
may as well replace the entire control arm as it comes with new front and rear bushings and new ball joints.
while its off- you can replace sway bar bushings and other parts that need to come off.

Reactions: Rob S

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tires rubbing the strut is an unusual one. I noted you had an alignment performed recently so I presume the Camber okay.

I suggest looking at the sway bar bushings and stabilizer links. Excessive play there "could, maybe in a blue moon" explain the tire rubbing if you take a corner very hard or smack the outside of tires on a bump / pothole / curb.

You can ask the Alignment shop to adjust the Camber but I would only do so as a last resort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts