EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my new enclave yesterday. Obviously I have 3 months of free XM. The car I just traded had Sirius. I would prefer to stay with sirius. Is there a way to convert this. I thought I heard a commercial on Sirius one day talking about a device that would allow you to change over. Anybody have any clue what I am looking for or where to get it? Thanks

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
this is off topic...

welcome to the forum!
and what are the details of your enclave? please..

·
Registered
405 Posts
Looks like some others want to do the same thing and GM changed something to stop it from happening?:
1st response:
There is a product called SIR-GM1 that converts the XM signal to Sirius. I installed one in my 05 H2 and my 06 C6. In both instances I purchased a small cable that converts the antenna lead so you can use the XM antenna. In the Hummer the unit mounted behind the glovebox. In the Vette it is under the waterfall on convertibles and under the carpeting in the cargo area on the coupes. I just picked up a new Denali last Thursday and will be adding one soon. These items sell for anywhere from $79 to $99 and are available at Best Buy, Circiut City and Crutchfield. They are easy to install and you still get all of the Sirius information through the XM radio. The radio band will continue to read XM1 and XM2, but you will get the Sirius station name, number and all of the artist and title information.

2nd response:
tommbo, I haven't installed the SIR-GM1 in my 07 Denali. I installed it in my 06 Vette. The other day after posting the message above I learned that it may not work in the 07. I read a post stating that GM has changed the wiring bus and the SIR-GM1 won't work now. I also read that the manufacturer, Directed Electronics, is developing a new model that will work. Unfortunately, there was no indication when that will become available.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f112144

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gold Mist Metallic CXL with few options. Needed to keep the monthly payment close to my car allowance, to keep my wife happy. For some reason I have almost been mesmorized by the look of this vehicle since the first picture I saw. I knew that I would have one, someday. When i finally started seeing a few on the streets of Kansas City, I would stop and stare, or speed up to follow it down the highway for awhile. Unfortunately,(fortunately) my impulsivness won out again and I traded in a 2006 Avalon, which I really liked. As usual I started out "just to look". I really didnt think I would be able to swing the payment at the prices I was seeing and knowing there really werent any deals on them out there. I was about ready to settle for a used Acadia or a new CX Enclave. A very astute young salesman that I worked with in Lawrence Kansas pointed out this CXL and it really had everything I need. The color was perfect. I knew I had owned my last black car. We drove 2 other couples to New Years Eve dinner in it, and after taking a lot of ribbing for my frequent auto changes, they all agreed it was quite a vehicle. As everyone in every forum mentions, they all immediately noticed how quiet it is. Stayed in the car today while my wife was in the grocery store. Noticed several people eyeing my new Enclave. Tomorrow its back to work.and another few hours of crap from my co-workers, about my auto obsession.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If anyone has successfully installed SIR-GM1 in their Enclave to convert from XM to Sirius then I would love to hear about it. I am a huge Sirius fan due to Stern & NFL football which you cant get on XM and know I wont enjoy my Enclave quite as much without it as I would with Sirius. I also heard that the company you refer to above was manufacturing a new model but that was actually on hold due to the possible merger of XM and Sirius (no point in manufacturing a converter if eventually there is nothing to convert).

Let me know if anyone had any success!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Aren't XM & Sirius merging?

I heard they got FCC approval.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I think it is almost a a go...this is what is left:

Pending: Receive regulatory approvals. Anticipated early 2008
Pending: Close transaction. Anticipated early-mid 2008

Although it has been billed as a merger of equals, Sirius is actually acquiring XM.

And it looks like not too much will change, at least at first:

Executives from both companies have stated that XM and Sirius will continue to operate as separate services. Buying another radio to receive programming from the other service will be optional. However, a unified receiver that can receive programming from both networks would allow subscribers to listen to the entire range of channels. Interoperable Technologies, a joint venture of both companies, was formed in 2003 and announced such a receiver in 2006. Mel Karmazin has confirmed the existence and operation of the radio, "We have one. It's in my office." Karmazin's dual system radio can expect competitors--according to tech-site Gizmodo, Onkyo is entering the interoperable radio arena.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here is a press release I found concerning the Sirius-Xm merger. It appears that there is no need to do anything to the radios to get the services and the pricing seems competitive. We just have to be patient. Too bad that I extended my subscription to XM for three years. I hope to get some sort of price adjustment after the plan is finalized.

http://www.siriusmerger.com/uploads/ala-cart-Press-Rel-7-23-07.pdf

·
Registered
405 Posts
Wow, lot's of details in that release! Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts