EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Probably not! That would be too much "badge engineering", and GM is also focusing on fewer models. Plus, would it be smart to have Buick focus on a cheaper end vehicle? But they do stupid things still, like not use the Lambda platform for the Cadillac SRX redo this last go around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,825 Posts
There will be a small Buick crossover, which will be called Encore. (according to multiple sources, do a search for it...) Perhaps 2012 or 2013, no one really knows for sure. The clay model, which people thought was the next Enclave, is most likely the Encore. Expect it to be on the Theta platform (or Theta-Epsilon) I think they are saying, which will be similar in size to the Terrain and Equinox (and SRX). This is NOT badge engineering, it's platform sharing, there's a huge difference. Here's the photo:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Jimbobwae said:
Probably not! That would be too much "badge engineering", and GM is also focusing on fewer models. Plus, would it be smart to have Buick focus on a cheaper end vehicle? But they do stupid things still, like not use the Lambda platform for the Cadillac SRX redo this last go around.
I don't think it would hurt Buick...it doesn't have to be much less if done right. Look at Infiniti they have the FX (medium sized) and the EX (a proper CUV) and the pricing isn't to drastically different (still expensive!LOL), just different options for different buyers. Where I think Buick could improve their chances of being more of a "Luxury" brand is to like Infiniti not even offer cloth seats (or basically what we know as CX), Infiniti's base model is much like Buick CXL's. I think they could do this without canibalizing Cadillac.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,164 Posts
I view it as taking a vehicle from one brand and making some minor cosmetic changes and slapping on the badge of another make to re-brand it as another model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,041 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I view it as taking a vehicle from one brand and making some minor cosmetic changes and slapping on the badge of another make to re-brand it as another model.
Agree... Think Chevy Tahoe & GMC Yukon, Ford Fusion & Mercury Milan, Ford Edge & Lincoln MKX, Chevy Traverse & Buick Enclave, etc., etc.... Some, imo, do go further than minor cosmetic changes, but strip away the makeup & the resemblance is remarkable... :happy:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,164 Posts
wait4me said:
Agree... Think Chevy Tahoe & GMC Yukon, Ford Fusion & Mercury Milan, Ford Edge & Lincoln MKX, Chevy Traverse & Buick Enclave, etc., etc.... Some, imo, do go further than minor cosmetic changes, but strip away the makeup & the resemblance is remarkable... :happy:
No...not the Buick Enclave. No... :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,825 Posts
REDCXL said:
Please define "badge engineering"
Badge engineering=Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon....Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra...Ford Fusion/Merc. Milan

Platform sharing=Chevy Traverse/GMC Acadia/Buick Enclave.......Chevy Equinox/GMC Terrain/Cadillac SRX.....Ford Flex/Lincoln MKT.

There's a huge difference between the two.

wantmybuick2 said:
I don't think it would hurt Buick...it doesn't have to be much less if done right. Look at Infiniti they have the FX (medium sized) and the EX (a proper CUV) and the pricing isn't to drastically different (still expensive!LOL), just different options for different buyers. Where I think Buick could improve their chances of being more of a "Luxury" brand is to like Infiniti not even offer cloth seats (or basically what we know as CX), Infiniti's base model is much like Buick CXL's. I think they could do this without canibalizing Cadillac.
I disagree. Having more choices within a vehicle line is a good thing, not bad. I wouldn't consider a vehicle with leather, so I would be completely off the list if the new "baby Enclave" were to only be leather.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,164 Posts
Actually, Kid has a good point about the Enclave being an example of platform sharing rather than badge engineering. In platform sharing, many, if not most, of the sheet metal and internal components are unique to each vehicle, although the basic "frame" and drivetrain are shared. In badge engineering, most of the car, except for the badge and a few other cosmetic bolt-ons are identical. The Enclave is actually an example of platform sharing. Phew! I knew that the Enclave could not have fallen into the badge engineering category. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,041 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Actually, Kid has a good point about the Enclave being an example of platform sharing rather than badge engineering. In platform sharing, many, if not most, of the sheet metal and internal components are unique to each vehicle, although the basic "frame" and drivetrain are shared. In badge engineering, most of the car, except for the badge and a few other cosmetic bolt-ons are identical. The Enclave is actually an example of platform sharing. Phew! I knew that the Enclave could not have fallen into the badge engineering category. :thumbsup:
LOL... Yes, I'll agree with Kid & you... But profiled under cover of darkness, I'd hate to bet my life on whether it's an Enclave or a Traverse...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
FWIW too, the Baby Enclave, or what may be later called the Buick Encore, isn't going to be on TE (Theta Epsilon or Theta Premium) which what is used on the current SRX. It will actually be about the size of a Nissan Rogue and be on Gamma II.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,825 Posts
Plague said:
FWIW too, the Baby Enclave, or what may be later called the Buick Encore, isn't going to be on TE (Theta Epsilon or Theta Premium) which what is used on the current SRX. It will actually be about the size of a Nissan Rogue and be on Gamma II.
I really don't care what platform it's on, I still may get one in a few years for my wife to replace her Bonneville. We are going to scale back the next vehicle, something more good on gas, so either a 4cyl Terrain, 4cyl small Buick sedan, or 4cyl Buick Encore (if that's what it's called). Can't wait to see these in the showroom. If we HAD to get something today, (if something happens to the Bonneville...) it would either be the Terrain/Equinox, or perhaps a Chevy Malibu, but the Malibu will be changed by the time we will plan on getting one, so not sure what the new one will look like. Then, of course, there will be a NEW Enclave in 2013, so they say, and that would just be "the bee's knees" to have two Enclaves, but I'm almost 100% sure we wouldn't do that....two 8-passenger rides is overkill. Besides, the next Enclave will most likely be beyond our reach, I'm betting the base CX will be $40 grand, then up from there. I'm trying to go the 5yr plan, keeping each vehicle 10 years, and have a new one (in our "fleet") every 5 years, so only one car payment at a time. Plus, then there's not two vehicles getting old at the same time, etc.

sorry
for the ramble
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
The Regal that is coming out will be pretty attractive as well. You should check that out too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,825 Posts
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll post this new photo I found today, a rendering of the Buick Encore for 2012. Doesn't look much like the clay model photo I submitted above in this thread, but still...not bad looking, if this is a good indication of what it will look like, I'm game. Check it out:

http://www.autotropolis.com/auto-news/2012-buick-compact-crossover-rendered.html

Notice how the grille and portholes are pretty much identical to the Enclave, most likely "copied and pasted" for photoshop purposes.
 
1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Top