EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
The Buick Encore is GM's second attempt to make a small Crossover for Buick. The first was an aborted converstion of the Saturn small SUV (think Saturn VUE generation 3) that GM canceled when Saturn was pulled and GM first proposed converting the car over to Buick. Feedback included it was too cheap on the inside (the upgrade did not go well) and it did not ride like a Buick.

As has been well reported, the upgrade from the AURA to the Regal went much better, so that car came out much faster.

GM started over with the Encore, which is why it will be few years before we will see another attempt for a small crossover. With the smaller GM, the plan I heard is they plan for Enclave (Lambada), Encore, Regal (Epsilon II), LaCrosse (Epsilon II), and Lucerne (H body, old GM Bonneville platform).

·
Registered
10,405 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I am under the impression that the Lucerne is not part of the post MY 2011 plan. ???
You are right. No more Lucerne as the shared platfrom with the DTS is phased out and with it... the Lucerne. Why in my previous answer I only showed the ancient H body platform.

This is what I heard from my friends at GM (and is confirmed on other websites I found on the web so I am not giving out anything new):

Buick Enclave
2014 Buick Enclave: Look for a full redesign to arrive for the 2014 model year.

Buick LaCrosse
2012 Buick LaCrosse: Buick announced at the 2010 L.A. Auto Show it will add a mild hybrid version of the LaCrosse to the lineup for 2012. Dubbed eAssist, the setup consists of a small electric motor (running off a small lithium-ion battery pack) that provides a 15-horsepower boost to the car's 2.4-liter gasoline engine.

Buick Lucerne
2011 Buick Lucerne: This is expected to be the last year for the Lucerne, as it will be phased out in favor of the LaCrosse.

Buick Regal
2012 Regal: A performance-oriented GS model will join the lineup in 2011. A concept version was shown at the 2010 Detroit Auto Show, and Buick has since unveiled the production version . The car features a 220-hp, turbocharged, 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine with a six-speed manual gearbox driving the front wheels; a six-speed automatic will be offered shortly after launch.

Buick Verano
2012 Buick Verano: Buick has confirmed it will add this Chevy Cruze-based compact sedan to its lineup, with production beginning in late 2011 at GM's Orion Township, Michigan, plant. The styling mimics the larger LaCrosse sedan, but this car will use all four-cylinder engines like the midsize Regal.

Small Crossover
2013 Buick Small Crossover - Encore: A small crossover based on the same platform as the entry-level Verano sedan is expected to slot in below the current Enclave crossover. Like the Verano, the new crossover will have front-wheel drive and use four-cylinder engines only.

So, there are five cars in Buick's future - dump the Lucerne after 2011, add the Verano and Encore off of the small car platform. Besides the Enclave, no more big Buicks in 2012.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Wonder why the Enclave's redesign has been pushed back to 2014?

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
The presumption that the Enclave is soon to be the large Buick makes it an extra special Buick. It pays homage to Buick's past, while it ushered in Buick's present and future. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
The presumption that the Enclave is soon to be the large Buick makes it an extra special Buick. It pays homage to Buick's past, while it ushered in Buick's present and future. :thumb:
Yes, but we have to wait 3 years to see the update. :rant: :mope: :'( Assuming it will be available in 2013 as a 2014 model. I guess we can think of the positive, our Enclaves STILL will look new in early 2013. Also, Buick gets a new model, or redesign every year, or just about.

Model years:
2008: Enclave
2010: LaCrosse
2011: Regal
2012: Verano
2013: Encore
2014: NEW Enclave

Then after that, I bet the LaCrosse will be ready for a freshening.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
The first generation Enclave will see six model years. This will allow more time for more similar looking Enclaves to hit the road to give the impression of higher sales. It will also make the older model years still seem current for longer, which should help with resale values.

·
Registered
73 Posts
kidsenclave said:
Wonder why the Enclave's redesign has been pushed back to 2014?
I actually know the answer to this. GM slowed development on all vehciles when they went into bankruptcy to conserve cash. They set back timelines on a number of cars. The biggest ones (like the Corvette) got some publicity when it happened. In fact, in the Wall Street Journal this week GM officials talk about their two biggest priorities - returning all govenernment money and getting debt close to zero (like Ford is doing), and putting money back into development to acclerate development while maintaining quality. The good news is GM knows this is a problem, the bad news is that it is not going away for a few years.

In fact, many don't remember this announcement (but my friends at GM do) that while direct injection engine development was approved for the I-4 and V-6 engines, it was not for the V-8 lineup. GM with the bankruptcy stopped all V-8 development. While since bankruptcy it has continued again, there are no plans to bring direct fuel injection to the small block (or big block) V-8s as the new GM does not see a big future for these engines. We will still see small tweaks but unless there is a change of heart at corporate (which I doubt the way the economy is still struggling as well as the high price of gasoline which is approaching $3.50 a gallon where I live), but no more big developments in GMs V-8 lineup.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Wonder if the 2012-2013 Enclave will get any refreshening at all? I think, since they decided to make the new Enclave 2014, then the 2011-2013 should have been refreshed.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
kidsenclave said:
Wonder if the 2012-2013 Enclave will get any refreshening at all? I think, since they decided to make the new Enclave 2014, then the 2011-2013 should have been refreshed.
I agree. Often, when a car is in the second half of its life cycle, it gets a noticeable cosmetic revamp. This would typically include a reworked taillight cluster, new rims, and sometimes some internal cosmetic changes/upgrades, too.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I agree. Often, when a car is in the second half of its life cycle, it gets a noticeable cosmetic revamp. This would typically include a reworked taillight cluster, new rims, and sometimes some internal cosmetic changes/upgrades, too.
I think they missed the boat without making some updates on the 2011, even though we like how it looks now, and the whole thing about ours looking new longer, blah blah, still would be nice to have updates for the last 3 years of the first design. GM did this with the Pontiac Grand Am 1996-1998 (I had a 98). Was still very similar overall vehicle that was from 92-95, but it cleaned up a lot of things, plus a new dash design...made it work for the last 3 years of the cycle, before the all new 99 Grand Am came out. I was selling cars back then, and it was a HUGE thing when that 99 Grand Am came out, you think they were re-inventing the wheel. (also the same year the all new trucks came out, 99 Sierra/Silverado) I always thought maybe I should have waited for the 99 Grand Am, but they were having great deals on the 98's, especially since they didn't get a whole model year cycle in on those....99's came out very early in 98. My Grand Am was a good car, probably since it was the end of the cycle, every possible bug was gone by then. Working at the Pontiac dealership, I had to sell the new ones, every time I got in one I was kicking myself a little for not waiting. THEN, the GT's came out later in the year, (my 98 was a GT 4 door ) and those were even better yet. Really wish they hadn't got rid of the Grand AM's when the G6's came out, there was always something missing with the G6. :-\ (a little Grand Am history there for you)

·
Registered
414 Posts
kidsenclave said:
I think they missed the boat without making some updates on the 2011, even though we like how it looks now, and the whole thing about ours looking new longer, blah blah, still would be nice to have updates for the last 3 years of the first design. GM did this with the Pontiac Grand Am 1996-1998 (I had a 98). Was still very similar overall vehicle that was from 92-95, but it cleaned up a lot of things, plus a new dash design...made it work for the last 3 years of the cycle, before the all new 99 Grand Am came out. I was selling cars back then, and it was a HUGE thing when that 99 Grand Am came out, you think they were re-inventing the wheel. (also the same year the all new trucks came out, 99 Sierra/Silverado) I always thought maybe I should have waited for the 99 Grand Am, but they were having great deals on the 98's, especially since they didn't get a whole model year cycle in on those....99's came out very early in 98. My Grand Am was a good car, probably since it was the end of the cycle, every possible bug was gone by then. Working at the Pontiac dealership, I had to sell the new ones, every time I got in one I was kicking myself a little for not waiting. THEN, the GT's came out later in the year, (my 98 was a GT 4 door ) and those were even better yet. Really wish they hadn't got rid of the Grand AM's when the G6's came out, there was always something missing with the G6. :-\ (a little Grand Am history there for you)
Kids,

We had a 02 Grand Am GT and a 07 G6 GT and I thought the Grand Am was a nice car but the G6 was better. Besides the V8 or the supercharged engine on the Grand Prix, the G6 was just as good. After our GA we got a 04 Grand Prix GT2 and then the G6. The G6 was just about the same size as the GP. I felt it had a bigger back seat, but a smaller trunk. I really thought that the G6 would replace the Grand Prix

I loved the panorama sun roof.... ours didn't leak either

My wife agrees with you as she liked her Grand Am best of all her cars... not including the Enclave of course

I do think that the 11-13 should have had a MCE or something. They could update the NAV, bring back the power sliding rear sunshade, or even get the heated washer fluid option again

Ohh with all of snowy weather I have been using the Heated Washer Fluid again. I really need to get that recall taken care of but I just can't do it during the winter though. I will miss that feature.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I was about to press the heated washer fluid button to clear a frosty windshield this morning, but then remembered that I no longer have the feature. :sosad:

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
i know i miss mine as well

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
21 - 40 of 73 Posts