EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this article and I know there are several members across the forums who use a Smartphone app to start their vehicle from their phones.

Car Starting Remote Or App Could Expose You To A Hacker
August 9, 2011 7:26 AM

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2011/08/09/car-starting-remote-or-app-could-expose-you-to-a-hacker/

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – It is supposed to be the height of convenience — a remote or smartphone app that starts you car and controls some of its functions. But, like most technology, it has its weaknesses — and this one could expose you to a whole different kind of carjacker.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can drive the Enclave after remote starting without putting an actual key in the ignition. Now, unlocking the doors remotely might be a different story...

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Classic said:
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can drive the Enclave after remote starting without putting an actual key in the ignition. Now, unlocking the doors remotely might be a different story...
Though I am not sure, I am inclined to agree with you.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was not implying directly that the Enclave could be driven off just that the technology could be hacked which is what was within the article/link provided.

But what happens when a hacker gets his hands on it?

“We were able to unlock the doors remotely, and we were able to start the engine. And if we wanted to, we could have driven off with the vehicle,” said Don Bailey of iSEC Partners, a security consultancy company.

Bailey was able to take control of a Subaru that had an ignition and security system with a remote cellular connection. But, he says, it could work on other similarly equipped cars on the market and worse.

“They can also perform the same attack against critical infrastructure that we use day-to-day to ensure lives are running smoothly,” Bailey said.

He says some traffic lights, ATMs, even water treatment plants that use the same technology are vulnerable because companies have let cell network security slide to cut production and consumer costs.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Sailfish said:
Was not implying directly that the Enclave could be driven off just that the technology could be hacked which is what was within the article/link provided.

But what happens when a hacker gets his hands on it?

“We were able to unlock the doors remotely, and we were able to start the engine. And if we wanted to, we could have driven off with the vehicle,” said Don Bailey of iSEC Partners, a security consultancy company.

Bailey was able to take control of a Subaru that had an ignition and security system with a remote cellular connection. But, he says, it could work on other similarly equipped cars on the market and worse.

“They can also perform the same attack against critical infrastructure that we use day-to-day to ensure lives are running smoothly,” Bailey said.

He says some traffic lights, ATMs, even water treatment plants that use the same technology are vulnerable because companies have let cell network security slide to cut production and consumer costs.
:facepalm:

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are always told to have our home/business wireless safeguarded which we do. As for our smartphones and such we depend on our carrier to safeguard their technology for us. :-\

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
The more complex life becomes, the more we must rely upon others to do the right thing. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. :(

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GoldEnclave said:
The more complex life becomes, the more we must rely upon others to do the right thing. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. :(
Yep...so true. :p

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Sailfish said:
We are always told to have our home/business wireless safeguarded which we do. As for our smartphones and such we depend on our carrier to safeguard their technology for us. :-\
Do you know how many people still believe to this day that WEP keys are a form of security to their wireless networks? Or they hide their SSIDs thinking if they do that, others can't see it. So many misconceptions. :happy: (hint: anybody with a droid or iPhone, and a free app, can break it in about a minute)

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
john 070 said:
Do you know how many people still believe to this day that WEP keys are a form of security to their wireless networks? Or they hide their SSIDs thinking if they do that, others can't see it. So many misconceptions. :happy: (hint: anybody with a droid or iPhone, and a free app, can break it in about a minute)
Considering what my husband does for a living I am willing to bet that won't be happening on our home wireless. You see I have married one smart cookie.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I recently deleted all of my smart phone apps regarding my Enclave including Viper Smart Start....I only had it on there incase the keys got locked in the vehicle but I forgot....theres ONSTAR for that :happy:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Ghost2121 said:
I recently deleted all of my smart phone apps regarding my Enclave including Viper Smart Start....I only had it on there incase the keys got locked in the vehicle but I forgot....theres ONSTAR for that :happy:
Ah, OnStar. I love OnStar. :love:

·
Registered
264 Posts
JaviCXL said:
So can an Enclave use the mobile app to run the remote start?
Yes it can....

As the article sates ....I can also access many of the water/waste water plants I am responsible for remotely. One safeguard we use is an automated alert if ANY access is requested after hours.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't go out of my way to look for trouble but I do live my life not worrying that everyone out there is my enemy and wishes to harm me.So I choose to use what I like when I like and will suffer the consequences if need be.Fortunately nothing really bad has ever happened to me and my life has been fairly worry-free.Once my E gets here I will hook up my phone to it via an app.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I spoke with a GM rep on the phone about setting up the "My Buick" and "OnStar" apps that I have on my Samsung Fusion and they told me the apps only work on the 2013's with the intelalink service thats on them.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
16 Participants
Marin
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing