EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any solutions on where to find 19" studded tires for the Enclave, or if there is a reason tires AREN'T available?

I want to know why there does not seem to be any studded tires that fit the 19" Enclave? :banghead: Is it that GM thinks the AWD handles just fine in winter weather up here in the Northwest? I was driving in 8" of snow and slush this week and my car handled just fine. But I am headed over the mountain pass to Seattle this week, and I am worried as to whether I will be allowed to proceed without any traction devices. No chains, or cleats, or spray or whatever other gimmicks there are are available here in the little town I am from, and I am leaving tomorrow anyway. I think the dealers should TELL all customers who are buying this car, that there are no studded tires available. They must have known. I can't believe I was the first customer in all of this part of our state that has purchased a car like this, and asked for winter tires. But I must admit that the car was superior in handling and driving where other drivers were struggling through town and the country roads, my car was driving great, and stopping with no problem. Of course I don't rod around like some of the idiots out there, but I was able to drive quicker and stop better, and turn corners without
fishtailing and getting stuck in the intersection.

UPDATE: Just FYI I have MICHELIN LATITUDE TOUR P255/60 R 19 on the car, which were stock when I bought it. I think I had the same on the first Enclave I had too. These are all weather traction tires, suitable to travel through the snow and weather. I hope. Anyway, according the WSDOT, these tires are approved traction tires. Still would like studs, but I will see how it goes today.[/color]

Email me, or post here, I would love to know[/color]​

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
"Carry chains" the sign says. So I headed to my local tire store (Les Schwab here in the NW), and they don't make chains that size. I still have my unused chains for my traded-in Acura MDX, so I'm legal - I'm carrying chains!! :happy: Sure hope I don't need them!

Luckily, I don't have to head for Spokane this week (from Tacoma). Nasty up there...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Was waiting to confirm, but I just heard that goodyear NOW makes the Ultra GRIP in the Enclaves sizes! gave a quick look, but didn't see. Call them!! Tirerack.com :thumb:
Just wanted to point out that, according to the Goodyear web site, the Ultra Grip "255/55R19 is Not Pinned For Studs." So, although these may help many looking for snow tires, they won't help starbuck.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
exmvan said:
Just wanted to point out that, according to the Goodyear web site, the Ultra Grip "255/55R19 is Not Pinned For Studs." So, although these may help many looking for snow tires, they won't help starbuck.
Not sure but I thought just SNOW tires are required on serious roads, by authorites?? Do some require chains/studs as well as true SNOW tires? That's gotta be rough country! Anyway, the Goodyears should help most of us with concerns. Based on my own limited snow/ice experience so far (all positive!) and the reports of others here, I'm staying with the OEM Michelins and carrying the Spray Traction that I mentioned.

Safe motoring! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Yes, there are moutain passes that require that you carry chains before taking the pass. Although NYC is rough country in its own right, just different than the mountains... ;D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This was the pass this afternoon, as you can see it was totally fine, just lots of snow. So I think the Enclave handled great, and the Michelins get my approval. No chains needed (at least in this case).[/color] :banana:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
starbuck , Great pix!! What a beautiful place to live . My son is attending college in WA state. Glad the Enclave is serving you well in the snow. I figure you're good till 12" or more! My son came home for Christmas and saw Enclave for first time. He said (as he sat in rear bucket seat) "it's like a limo!!!"

:thumb:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Was waiting to confirm, but I just heard that goodyear NOW makes the Ultra GRIP in the Enclaves sizes! gave a quick look, but didn't see. Call them!! Tirerack.com :thumb:
Tire Rack has these Goodyear tires on "closeout" for $209 each.
It's interesting that the overall circumfrence is the same as the stokk Michelins ... therefore no change in spedo reading. ;D

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
So with savings from OE tires sitting in garage all Winter, plus new rims, senor valves for new rims, and the Snow tires themselves, my slide-rule figures about $1K net, extra, over maybe 6-7 year period, for the benefit of nice snow tires on the Enclave, all winter, and OE chromes in Summer. After that, if I still have it, start again, minus the rims and valves!! Expensive to live in beautiful snow country! But I could live with that, if I had to. :thumb: The OE All-Weather Michs will do me just fine, in suburb, southern, NY state. I've tried them on ice/some snow, and figure by posts from others as well, that I'm "golden" till about 12" of the white stuff. :thumb:

Ebay might help with the rims?? Dealer is about $200 each for aluminum (non-chrome type)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, just in case...but I'll venture a thought: isn't it possible to buy winter tires and have them studded? I heard this can be done...but expensive; any experts out there care to clarify? The thought of going studless this year is alarming. Perhaps a 5000lb vehicle & good winter tires will be enough...we get mountains of snow here in Northern Vermont.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
azurebuck said:
Pardon my ignorance, just in case...but I'll venture a thought: isn't it possible to buy winter tires and have them studded? I heard this can be done...but expensive; any experts out there care to clarify? The thought of going studless this year is alarming. Perhaps a 5000lb vehicle & good winter tires will be enough...we get mountains of snow here in Northern Vermont.
I remember having a set of 4 studded snow tires on a Honda station wagon when living in Japan in the late 70s... Four snow tires were required by law... They've since banned studded tires because of road damage and air pollution... Concrete dust...

Inserting studs properly on a snow tire would require that the tire be designed to receive them - receptacles for the studs molded into the tire tread...

I do recall a friend who jury-rigged a set of studded tires & ran them with limited success on his BMW motorcycle... :eek:hno:

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=151&currentpage=151

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
bmmiller53 said:
Check out Tire Rack. I believe they just added Bridgestone as an available snow tire for Buick Enclave early in AUgust 2009.
I just checked last night and I believe they said they are in inventory now. I am debating between those and the Toyo Observe G-02 snow tire. The Toyo will be harder to find I believe.

·
Registered
92 Posts
zman said:
I just checked last night and I believe they said they are in inventory now. I am debating between those and the Toyo Observe G-02 snow tire. The Toyo will be harder to find I believe.
Lord, this is getting complicated. Probably should call my tire guy ahead of time, get this sorted out, and order something before the frost flies. I should imagine he'll be initially mystified and have to do some research. When we brought our Genesis in last year for winter tires, they didn't even have the model in their system.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Methinks I'm going to end up with Blizzak 19" snow tires; I hear they're good but wear out quickly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yup--it's always best to buy your straw hats in winter :). I think i'm gonna get these: http://tinyurl.com/o4bh5q
Last year they had no 19" that would fit the Clave, you had to buy an 18" with the same circumference, but at least there were some. We got by last winter, and it was a tuf one in the Inland NW. We drove icy roads, and packed snow on the stock tires with NO problem.

For those who have bot snow tires and wheels---what wheels did you buy, Alloy or Steel? My problem is the pitting i get from the Calcium Chloride and sand on the roads. My chrome wheels have tiny pits in them and my moho with Alcoa wheels are even worse--and it's hardly driven in the snow--just long enough to get outa here!
Tire Rack has no 19" wheels. So maybe i go with 18" ones, as others have done last year, OR buy a set of wheels from my dealer and have the dealer mount the tires and the TPMS.

Any thoughts?
tia, ron

1 - 19 of 19 Posts