EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand why with all the hupla that GM didn't make the 3.6 VVT E-85 compatible......

Any insight?

G

·
e-85 is useless, it gets you worse gas milage, it takes 1.5 gallons of gas to make 1 gallon of corn, all it does is give you a 400 dollar tax break. I went with a 6.0 on my yukon becuase i thought power was more important that corn, my dads older yukon (02) ( he has not had it long and wont keep it long enough to get the break though, he only has it until we get an enclave, because his DD sold) can run on e-85 but theres no place to fill it, the only good thing it does as i say as it got him 400 off his taxes.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It would be useless in Canada since the only place you could fill it up here is in Ottawa. If they make it more available and cheaper then it may be a viable option.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The Enclave engine was developed in Europe and perhaps needed to have E85 in mind early on to make it work.

Corn ethanol is produced with a ratio of about 1.8 units of energy derived from 1 unit spent. It can only get better, and with new developments and using switchgrass, the ration is bound to improve. Biodiesel is even better.

TM

·
Registered
177 Posts
Plus, corn is not an export, ESPECIALLY not an export from the Middle East of Venezuela!

But this is just a step on the way to the better answer. Our grandchildren will be asking, "you guys actually used corn to run your cars?!"

·
Registered
410 Posts
Jimbobwae said:
But this is just a step on the way to the better answer. Our grandchildren will be asking, "you guys actually used corn to run your cars?!"
Actually I hope they'll be saying "what's a car?" Or, at the very least, "what do you mean you had to 'drive' a car? You just sit there and it does all the work."

·
Registered
177 Posts
I loved the quote from 'I Robot' when the chick rides on the back of the motorcycle...

"Gasoline!? That stuff explodes, you know!"

·
Registered
410 Posts
maginter said:
I don't understand why with all the hupla that GM didn't make the 3.6 VVT E-85 compatible......

Any insight?
I would like to know this too.

Last I heard making a car E-85-ready just takes a couple hundred $$ of changes and a more complex engine control unit. While right now E-85 is of dubious economic value (*political* value is another question....), I for one believe it's pretty short-sighted to assert that E-85 (or E-70 or E-50 or whatever....) will be a bad idea over the entire lifetime of this car (usually 10-15 years for me).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts