EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2008 enclave has been great so far. It has close to 200 000 miles and I didnt spend a dime in the past year on maintenance except for oil changes.

This is my beater car, I already have 2 cars , so this is my third car. I was not expecting to spend much money on it , just drive it when I needed the cargo area or in the winter when it was snowing. However I just spent 500 fixing a steering leak issue that left me without any power steering . No big deal .

However I just noticed that I need to replace all 4 brakes , muffler requires replacement since it has had a leak forever and muffler cement is not working any more , and I also recently had a engine light come on for " big evap leak detected" and its not the gas cap

Here is my questions for the gurus of this forum

1 - Can anyone tell me if the muffler is located in the middle of the car, I was looking at some diagrams and it seems like the 2 big mufflers in the tail are actually resonators , and there is only one muffler which is located after those resonators. I found one for 130 $ , this is just in front of the rear right tire

would this be correct? ...

2 - how hard are brakes pads and rotors to replace.? I found 4 pads and 4 rotors for as little as 200$ canadian. Dealer wants 750 $ just on parts. I ll probably would like to go somewhere in the middle

3 Lastly , Im at a point where I m torn between selling or fixing the car myself. One part of me wants to practice on this car my mechanical skills , use it as a learning car per say, my other 2 cars are newer and I m not confident enough tackle jobs on them . I have always wanted to learn to do my own maintenance, brakes jobs , oil changes , tire changes, tune ups , part changes ( like alternators , starters , nothing too hard). It can get pretty expensive to pay someone to do it. I work on airplanes so I can probably do it , I just never had the chance to practice and with the newer cars is hard to do it , since I cant afford to leave them park . Other part of me says part with it , let it go ... There is some sentimental value with the car, I just drove it from toronto to miami last january to visit my aunt, 6000 km trip ( through Atlanta , Tennessee and the year before I did a similar trip to disneyworld. This car has been to very long memorable trips and the 7 seater does help from time to time . So what should I do?? .

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
713 Posts
2 Cats, 2 Mufflers, 2 Resonators, 2 tail pipes. Mufflers in the middle.
Rotors are pretty easy to replace as well as the pads are. Of course you must remove the cage to replace the rotor, there is probably one Torx head retainer bolt holding the rotor in place which will not come out easily, you will break your Torx bit trying to get it out, usually they must be drilled out, don't worry you don't need to replace it.
Use loctite when you replace the bolts on the cage (bracket) and torque to specs. Remember which caliper pin comes out the top and bottom, some are different. Use new synthetic brake grease to lube the pins and the slides.
If you like it, keep it, but at 200,000 miles they do tend to be money pits, if you want to do your own work and don't absolutely need it every day, hold on to this fine vehicle. I had a 08 Saturn Outlook with 212K on her before I sold it, I bought a 2015 Enclave with 40K on it to replace it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Brakes are EASY. I can vouch for that.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so I changed all brakes, took me a few hours , one rotor was stuck but overall pretty easy job. I bought 4 rotors and 4 pads for 150$ , and so far so good, zero vibrations. Its been roughly 500 miles so hopefully they last long ( knock on wood)

I also replaced the muffler , took it to a local muffler shop around my area, they charged me 150$ to put a new muffler , the car is freaking quiet now. Dealer wanted like 1500$ to fix the exhaust, so I m happy with 150$

steering issue cost me 450$ to fixed , I thought the pump was done but it turned out to be the power steering oil cooler .

I know have an engine light related to the evap system , I already saw a dew videos on what it could be, would probably get it fix soon.

The 4 wheels also need to be balance, I m getting a small vibration @ 55 mph , it goes away after 60-65 mph ...

other than that, the car drives pretty good, engine is strong and transmission shifts smoothly

slowly bringing the car back to life, trying to save $$$

thanks for all the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts