EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some posts randomly about people having to have the computer flashed after replacing plugs. Is this common? I am about to do mine in the coming days and want to avoid it. I would assume that unplugging the battery should do the trick? its a 2008

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I dont think Ive seen this issue with having the computer flashed for spark plug replacement.

Just buy OEM (AC DELCO) plugs-- and dont go for those multi prong plugs and you should be OK.

Ive changed plugs in several vehicles and never had to reflash.

Have a link to a thread where this is mentioned.?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they werent posts on here, so i would have to search the internet for them, but it seemed like the thought could hold water since the computer on these are so in depth with what it controls to make teh vehicle ride the best. i figured that if i changed plugs, the system would have to relearn the increase in performance.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just had all 6 plugs replaced (at the dealer). They never mentioned having to do anything with the computer although they DID have to remove the entire intake to replace 3 of the plugs. $500 to replace 6 plugs. This was on a 2010, if it matters. Maybe it's the DI motor?

Oh, and the dealer & mechanic weren't very happy that 1) there were 3 different brands of plugs and 2) that some of them were those expensive Iridium ones.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just received my intake manifold gasket from Amazon yesterday! This was a job I was planning on doing for a little while now, but never had the time, weather, or gasket to do it.

I was gifted some NGK LTR6IX-11 Iridium IX plugs, so thats what I'll use. I've read on here that the original ACDelco's are actually NGK plugs, so I'm not too concerned.

But for $500, this is definitely something I think I would like to attempt myself. As intimidating as it looks, I think its pretty straight forward, and lots of good how-to vids out there.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ironically, I just did this last week...Manifold gasket, 6 ACDelco iridium spark plugs from Amazon ($3 each after rebate), and about 90 minutes was all it took. No re-flashing required.

The only other big help was a swiveling magnetic spark plug socket that I also bought from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014ZVSVK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)...You can definitely do the job without it, but it made getting to the back set of spark plugs a whole lot easier!

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
yeah, back in 2015 I ordered 6 plugs and the gasket- it was about $64.xx

If im not mistaken- the same plugs are now cheaper than 2 yrs ago.

The replacement was fairly easy.
I did have to remove the intake.
Just make sure you remove it carefully in case theres lots of dust/debris on the backside of the intake.
Lift straight up carefully.
I vacuumed the entire area- to make sure nothing fell in.

But well worth the work to save $400.

·
Registered
198 Posts
yeah, back in 2015 I ordered 6 plugs and the gasket- it was about $64.xx

If im not mistaken- the same plugs are now cheaper than 2 yrs ago.

The replacement was fairly easy.
I did have to remove the intake.
Just make sure you remove it carefully in case theres lots of dust/debris on the backside of the intake.
Lift straight up carefully.
I vacuumed the entire area- to make sure nothing fell in.

But well worth the work to save $400.
Next time I need to fix something on my truck, I'm calling you. The drive would be worth it. I'll bring the icy cold beverages. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, im on a 2008 enclave, so i dont have to remove the intake manifold/replace the seal becuase i can access all plugs without removing it, so i can save myself a little cash there. all iridium plugs (acdelco) was around 43 bucks or so, with a rebate, from autozone. i did make sure to go easy on myself and buy a magnetic spark plug socket with attached extension. The only concern i have is that the socket and attached extension will be too long for me to get into the holes. the extension with teh plug socket is 8 inches total

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
get yourself one of those mirrors on a telescoping wands...
that way you can look down in to the plug holes to see if theres oil/water pooled in there...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just received my intake manifold gasket from Amazon yesterday! This was a job I was planning on doing for a little while now, but never had the time, weather, or gasket to do it.

I was gifted some NGK LTR6IX-11 Iridium IX plugs, so thats what I'll use. I've read on here that the original ACDelco's are actually NGK plugs, so I'm not too concerned.

But for $500, this is definitely something I think I would like to attempt myself. As intimidating as it looks, I think its pretty straight forward, and lots of good how-to vids out there.
It is way simple ,just take your time . the worst part I found was keeping the large wire bundle out of the way when I was moving the manifold around, mine with the top off is my avatar

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, i started this earlier today, now that i have time to do it. the first 3, just as just about any car, is easy. took me maybe 15 minutes tops, probably even less. the back, obviously might take a bit more, but would only be because of location. stupid easxy to do. i cannot fathom having to pay a stealership to do this for as much as they want to pay. ****, even a local mechanic wants like 250 to do it, which is a rip off seeing as i spent 45 for plug and tools, which came with a rebate, for what i would see as an hour worth of work. save yourself money, and do it yourself. it is really that easy (on an 08 anyway).

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
well, i started this earlier today, now that i have time to do it. the first 3, just as just about any car, is easy. took me maybe 15 minutes tops, probably even less. the back, obviously might take a bit more, but would only be because of location. stupid easxy to do. i cannot fathom having to pay a stealership to do this for as much as they want to pay. ****, even a local mechanic wants like 250 to do it, which is a rip off seeing as i spent 45 for plug and tools, which came with a rebate, for what i would see as an hour worth of work. save yourself money, and do it yourself. it is really that easy (on an 08 anyway).
Did you replace the coil packs? I did the coils and plugs last year and had to remove the intake manifold to even get to the rear ones....

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Do you know where speak plug #2 is located on a 2008 Buick Enclave?
Front left, looking at the engine from the front of the car.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
cfedor
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing