EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have the Sportwing Door Protector Moldings installed:

• Have they prevented any damage to your doors so far? (I.e. Are there any noticeable marks on the protectors themselves, indicating that they have absorbed impact which could have dented your doors?)
  • Is the location / height of the moldings as suggested by the manufacturer effective? (I.e. Should be installed higher or lower?)
  • Any problems with the moldings "peeling" off?

I'm considering the possibility of installing these door protectors and would appreciate any feedback.

Also I'm concerned about how long the adhesive can withstand the extreme local temperature variations (-40 F in the winter to 100 F in the summer). If the molding comes off, the solvent and adhesive may cause the door panels to look worse then the minor door dents.

Cheers. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Can't comment about temp extremes as "Brown Bess" is garaged in SW FL. High temps have not caused peeling. Mfg. directions are easy and on the money. Heights OK. The good thing is you really don't know when they have provided protection and they look good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I put mine on in Nov. and we have had one **** of a winter here, cold and tons of snow..... they still are perfect.... as far as preventing door dings .... I park to dam far away from other cars for them to even get close enough to ding my clave. but hey they look great too.......
Best
Rob

·
Registered
166 Posts
The sportwing door protector moulding color match is perfect. Its a tougher thinner moulding than the typical rubber moulding on other cars, so difficult to tell if they have been dinged. You should read one of the threads on the installation if you go ahead. There is a little trick about the adhesive cover protective strip. As well, Sport wing should provide another vial of the activator. If you don't put on both sides quickly the applicator can dry up. I used the recommened height and they look fine. My only issue is that I would like the protectors to be thicker. They must be between 1/16 and 1/8 inch thick and in my view a little too thin to give the best door ding protection

·
Registered
67 Posts
Funny you posted this, as I just noticed a ding on one of them today. will try to buff it off tomorrow.
Love them, color is a perfect match. I had dealer install while he installed my assist steps

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems like all the comments are positive so far.

The sooner they get installed, the less anxiety there will be when Murphy's Law limits you to a skimpy parking spot downtown, at the daycare, the hospital, or even at work.

When I look at the marks on the factory installed door moldings on my other vehicle, I can't imagine the damage that would have occurred had the moldings not been part of the design. :jaw:

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I have had the side moldings for a while now...and I love how they look. Don't know if they have prevented any real damage, but as you say, the anxiety level is reduced and (did I mention), they sure look sharp![/color] :cheers:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have received a "ding" to both the driver and passenger door moldings. Disappointed that they chipped but likely prevented damage to my door. Added some touch up paint but not perfect. Wish the finish offered a little more resistance to chips, otherwise very satisfied with the look.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
docnlaw said:
I have received a "ding" to both the driver and passenger door moldings. Disappointed that they chipped but likely prevented damage to my door. Added some touch up paint but not perfect. Wish the finish offered a little more resistance to chips, otherwise very satisfied with the look.
Thanks for the anecdote.

Interesting to hear about the paint chipping. At least it's better than the paint on the actual door panel chipping off. Using touch-up paint is a good idea. :thumb:

Eventually if the trim looks beaten up pretty bad, then re-ordering a new set of trim and re-installing may be an option. Hopefully it won't get to that stage.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm considering purchasing some Chrome moulding, and the leaders according to this project seems to be Sportwing or Dawn Enterprise. There's very limited pictures on the mouldings, anyone share their pictures of this moulding.

I'd checked out the dealer, they don't sell this mouldings new, told me to go to aftermarket. So, that's what I'm doing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have had the Sportwing moulding on 4 different vehicles. I live in Minnesota, so it's a pretty good test for weather. They have all performed and look perfectly. Perfect color match, easy to install and look great. The instructions tell you what height to install them.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Cars still have such a thing? I remember in college (remember I had rich friends), when a kid got a new Porsche, he ordered them unpainted, and had them installed/painted by a body shop. Obviously a lot has changed since then, when it comes to style. I would kinda doubt such a thing protects against dings, because vehicles' doors are of all different heights. my .02

Just going to the website, I don't see any of the vehicles with body side moldings, and cannot imagine installing them...

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts