EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

St Louis: Looking for 2 Way Key Fob installation

20K views 39 replies 8 participants last post by  Gottspd 
#1 ·
I stopped in at what I believe is the largest GMC dealer in the area: Behlmann GMC/Pontiac/Buick in Hazelwood (North St. Louis County).

I asked the service manager if his shop had installed any of the new 2-Way Key Fobs. Of course he replied "huh? What's a 2 way key fob? Nope, we haven't done any of those".. I walked out after scheduling some basic service. They are very nice, but just never heard of the new accessory. Anyone in the St. Louis area had any success getting one of these super key fobs installed on their Enclave? I want one, but I am not going to let them experiment and learn on my vehicle.

#2 ·
I'll let you know in two days. ;)

We just picked up our 2009 Enclave from Lou Fusz, and we have to take it down the road to a place called VIP Distributing to have the two-way installed on Friday. We actually ordered it with the vehicle, but found out later that it's a dealer-installed option. VIP Distributing is down at Page Ave and Warson, on Indian Head Industrial. (314) 428-3900 According to the saleperson, GM shipped the two-way remote to VIP at the same time the Enclave was shipped to Fusz.

Oh, and run away from Behlmann, they were the main reason I haven't bought a GM product in 12 years. :angryfire:

--Mike

#3 ·
Great..
I was just about to call Lou Fusz Buick/Pontiac/GMC.
So Lou Fusz outsources their accessory work. I asked the service manager (not the service greeter..) if he had heard of the Fob. He had, but had not done any installations. At least Behlmann does their own accessory work.

My original dealer (Suntrup Buick/Pontiac/GMC) outsources accessory to an outfit called "ADI".
The problem is, when the car is brought back from the ADI shop, they don't follow through and inspect their work.
(My new wheels were covered with sealer goo, not polished, no TPMS calibration, etc.)

If you have success with Fusz's associates, I will give them a try. Good luck.

Must Have Key Fob..
Must Have Key Fob..
Must Have Key Fob..

#4 ·
Yeah, I was really surprised that Fusz doesn't do their own installs on the fob, I thought it was a factory part. They claim ours is the first Enclave they have ordered with it too, and the first that VIP has installed. I'm really hoping the fob doesn't entail a large amount of disassembly or modifications. I'd really prefer they just give me the **** thing and let me install it, but warranty reasons dictate otherwise.

Hopefully Behlmann has improved much since the mid-nineties, I finally had to enlist a lawyer to send some threats before I got some warranty items fixed on my GMC pickup. Thankfully, I got rid it before it caused any more problems. To be honest though, I probably had more problems with their arrogant sales staff than I did with the service guys.

I'll try to post my results with VIP over the weekend.

--Mike

#5 ·
Based on what I have learned on this forum and acadiaforum, its a 1.9 hour install. This includes swapping out a module, using the diagnostic computer to "pair" the remotes with the receiver/transmitter. and (the tricky part) installation of a foil antenna.

I am told that improper installation of the antenna will greatly reduce the effective range of the 2 way fob (spec'd at 1000 ft range).

I am told that proper installation of the antenna results in a visible piece of foil along a rear side window.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info. The salesman said 2 hours, but VIP said 4. I'm sure they are just covering their ass, since it's the first install.

I was wondering if the standard remotes would still work, as it would be nice to have backups. (the salesman didn't have an answer to that)

--Mike

#7 ·
If they want to charge you more than 1.9 hours I would protest. It's not your problem they don't have training.
There is one installation procedure for those who have the remote start, and another similar procedure for those without a remote start.

I could see going over 1.9 hours if you didn't have a remote start already.

Insist that all key fobs are programmed to your car. Test them..
Remote start and all..

Press the lock button for a few seconds, wait for a light to flash, then press and hold the remote start button for a few seconds until a light flashes. If you see the second flash, the Enclave will start. Make sure all doors are locked or you cannot remote start.

#8 ·
There's no additional charge for the install, it was in with the 260.00 charge for the option. That was just the amount of time they needed it in their shop. We have the remote start already, so hopefully that will save some time.

I'll make sure I mention that I'd like all the remotes to continue working, thanks for the tip.

--Mike

#9 ·
Well, I'm back, and our Enclave now has a two-way remote.

First off, the guys at VIP were great, nothing in the vehicle looks out of place or damaged in the slightest. I did find out that they can't sell the kit themselves, you have to order through the dealer.

The new antenna is attached below the passenger side rear window, on the plastic trim. It's a black bar, about 8 inches in length, and sort of looks like the sensor bar for our kid's Nintendo Wii game system. The previous remotes were reprogrammed to the car, and work just as they had before. I've gone through the book on the two-way, and played with all the features, and so far it's pretty cool. The range is pretty good from what I've tested (a couple houses away), and all the vehicle data (fuel level, tire pressure, door lock status, mileage) can be retrieved without having the engine running. It will also count the minutes down before the engine shuts off with the remote start. It's large, roughly twice the size of the standard remote, but it would still fit in a pocket comfortably.

Now for the one thing I wasn't that happy about, THERE'S ONLY ONE REMOTE FOB!!!!! ??? GM conveniently didn't mention that this option only comes with one remote fob. Given the features, I would guess they'd have to raise the price above 260.00 to be able to include two, but I would have gladly paid a little more for two. I'm going to call the dealer on Monday and see if you can buy a second remote separate from the kit, and how much they cost.

I guess for now, I'll just keep my standard remote, and my wife can use the cool one. (After all, it is her car. ;) )

Let me know if anyone needs more info.
--Mike

#10 ·
Mike,

I know it would be a lot of work, but anyway you can scan the owners manual for the 2-way advanced remotes and post them here or in your gallery? The dealer did not give me the manual and I don't know how to access all its features such as tire pressure, fuel remaining...

CT

#11 ·
No problem, but it may take a day or two, I haven't used my scanner in eons.

I can walk you through it real quick though, press the right side button (two dimples) twice in succession, and you will get the menu across the top. Keep pressing it to scroll though the options, Radio presets, Mileage, Cancel the beep on the remote, fuel level, and tire pressure. Some will show the info when you stop on them, the others, use the left side button. (three dimples) So on the tire pressure, when you first select it, it will scan through each tire, you can then use the left button to manually scroll through them.

Hitting the left button once will turn on the display, hitting it twice in close succession will put the remote into vehicle 2 mode. (control a second vehicle)

Holding both shoulder buttons for one second will activate the vehicle locator, holding them for more than two will activate the panic alarm.

#12 ·
Mike,

Thanks for the help. I would really appreciate the copy of the manual when you get the time. How do you see the radio presets? When I'm on the little musical note symbol, I don't see anything new on the screen. Thanks again.

CT

#14 ·
So I take that to mean you can scan through your preset radio stations from outside the car if the radio is on. Right?

CT

#16 ·
I think this would be a pretty neat feature, but $260 is pretty steep with only one advanced remote. I'd also bet it costs more if you don't order the feature on the vehicle. My wife doesn't care about stuff like this and, since it's her vehicle, I'm not going to waste the money.

We bought our Enclave at Suntrup also, like Clave Man, but didn't have the bad experience with the accessory installation. We had the headrest DVD players installed and there were no issues; our sales person definitely had followed through and had checked on everhything. We haven't been back yet to have any warranty work done.

Does anyone know anything about Trenary in O'Fallon? They are only about 3 miles from my house and I'm thinking about using them. I've had service work done at Suntrup on preously-owned vehicles and never had an issue with them but I'd like the convenience of using a closer dealer if Trenary is good also.

#17 ·
Excellent report mjfrank! Thank you!

Post the manual in your gallery and you are an honorary Hero Member! (to me anyway..)

Thanks to this forum I now feel confident about getting the work done!

I am stopping at Lou Fusz GMC/Buick/Pontiac Monday morning to set up the install. Sounds like the installer knows what they are doing. I hope they will match the $260 price you got. I have a 10% off coupon for the $150 Fob (So a second fob could be bought for $135 + programming charge I guess).

#18 ·
BadAV said:
I think this would be a pretty neat feature, but $260 is pretty steep with only one advanced remote. I'd also bet it costs more if you don't order the feature on the vehicle. My wife doesn't care about stuff like this and, since it's her vehicle, I'm not going to waste the money.
It's a guy thing. No different than the 20 feet of string I ran along my wall when I was a kid to turn off and on the light in my bedroom from the top bunk.. (I have to have this toy!)
We bought our Enclave at Suntrup also, like Clave Man, but didn't have the bad experience with the accessory installation. We had the headrest DVD players installed and there were no issues; our sales person definitely had followed through and had checked on everhything. We haven't been back yet to have any warranty work done.
Funny. We had the same sales person. She didn't check a thing when my Enclave returned from "all day" accessory work at ADI. I wouldn't call it bad. Bad is when my father in law's Buick was dropped off a lift and totaled a few years ago. He saw a drop of oil on the floor of his garage, panic'd and went back to the dealer after an oil change. Smoking a cigarette and watching TV in the lounge he heard a big BANG-CRUNCH-CRUNCH literally seconds after the service manager popped his head into the lounge and said "just a few more minutes, Mr. Wilson..". They gave him a great deal on a new one..
Does anyone know anything about Trenary in O'Fallon? They are only about 3 miles from my house and I'm thinking about using them. I've had service work done at Suntrup on preously-owned vehicles and never had an issue with them but I'd like the convenience of using a closer dealer if Trenary is good also.
The new Auto Mall.. Nope. Never dealt with them. Just Leta Honda across the boulevard..

#19 ·
mjfrank,

I think the cost of the remotes is entirely dealer dependant. I had them added to my Enclave while I negotiated the price. We settled on $140.00 for 2 of the advanced 2-way remotes installed. I think I'm going to get some cell phone touch screen screen-savers and cut one to fit the LED screen. It's getting scratched a little from my keys while they are in my pocket. Walmart sells generic square screen savers that you can cut to whatever size you need. Maybe one for the NAV screen too.

I guess in order to use the musical note icon while tailgating, you would have to disconnect the remote from your keys.

CT

#22 ·
speed48,

Yes. That was $140.00 for 2 remotes with installation. I negotiated that at the time as an add on when I was negotiating the price for my Enclave. My Enclave was dealer stock. They installed them before I picked up the vehicle 2 days later because I also had them add a clear bra for the front grill, hood, mirrors, door edges and door handle cups. They also added the 4 color coordinated splash guards installed for $60.00.

From what I've been reading, it looks like I got a sweet deal for the remotes.

CT

#23 ·
speed48 said:
C Traz

Was that $140 plus installation for two advanced remotes? A dealer has quoted my $495 for one advanced remote including installation?

By the way, does it make any difference if you order the remote with the vehicle?
The big thing is whether you already have remote start/liftgate. You pay $100 more if you don't.
I'm expecting $150 for the part and 1.9 hours of labor.

#24 ·
I am sitting in the waiting room at Vehicle Improvement Products (ViP) aka "ADI" installation shop 2 miles east of Lindbergh and a mile south of Page in St. Louis. I am having the 2 way fob installed right now.

Complete unboxing photo series to be presented in my gallery tonight..[/color]

#25 ·
Clave Man said:
I am sitting in the waiting room at Vehicle Improvement Products (ViP) aka "ADI" installation shop 2 miles east of Lindbergh and a mile south of Page in St. Louis. I am having the 2 way fob installed right now.

Complete unboxing photo series to be presented in my gallery tonight..[/color]
Good luck! Cant wait to see the pictures tonight!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.