EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced any more problems with their Stabilitrak/Traction Control going off by itself? I saw some prior posts back in August but nothing current. We had this problem once and I thought I accidently turned it off as I was reaching for my soda out of the cup holder. It happened again the other night and no one touched the traction control button. I drove about another mile and it allowed me to reset it, (without stopping and restarting the engine). The first time it happened we were just leaving town for a long trip and we contacted OnStar and they said one part could be checked within 24 hours and another part within 5 days. Well that is not reassuring when you are driving in the desert toward some desolate areas and you want the assurance that your Stabilitrak is working correctly. We finally did pull over and restarted the car and the system reset. But who wants to keep doing that when they are traveling?

Thank you,
Cathy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my car in the shop 4 times now because of this problem. I will be driving along, my car will lurch. All the controls (speed, fuel etc) will shut off and the stabilitrak/traction control msg will come on. The transmission does some funky thing and I cant get any speed going. The 3rd time it happened they ordered a new computer for my car and put it in. Now we are on time #4 and still the same thing. If I turn the car off it will reset it, but sometimes when I go to turn it back on then it wont come on and I have to wait awhile. Anyone else with this?
I love this car but, this is getting old.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
sassy,
Welcome to the forum :welcome:
I trust that your problem will be resolved.

MRBUICK

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Yes, these problems are very frustrating and with all the electronics can be hard to pinpoint. Mine has done this once, the warning light came on and there was a very noticable low pitch hum from beneath the car, after a while it stopped and the warning light went out, the hum stopped and it has not happened since, but I am watching for it. Sorry you have had this problem, it stinks on a new car. Please post on anything you find out if anything, to help the rest of us in the future.

·
Registered
317 Posts
sassy said:
I have had my car in the shop 4 times now because of this problem.
Sassy,

Don't know where you live, but in most states, it only takes 3 or 4 times for you to have the same problem back to the dealer -- and show that they cannot fix -- before you Lemon Law your Enclave and ask GM to buy it back. You can try going to this site: www.lemonlawamerica.com -- or google the term and you will find plenty of websites where you can get this info. I hate to disagree with MRBUICK, but I'm not certain that they will find the fix for your Enclave. You need to make sure EACH time you go in that you get a repair order receipt that clearly spells out the problem as this documentation will most certainly be needed in any buyback/lemon law effort. Many dealers try to play games in this regard and won't give you the work order or may not clearly spell out the issue on it.

Electrical gremlins are usually the most difficult to track down. My own experience with a 1990 Ford Aerostar 4wd is proof of that. Within days of brining home our new vehicle, the dash lights would flicker and then come back. Eventually, all the interior lights stopped working and we couldn't get the car started. It went back to the dealer twice before I threatened them with buying it back -- at that point, the service manager got involved and I think it was only due to his experience working on the line for Ford when he was younger that guided him. He suspected that a wire or wires got pinched/abraded in/around the dash -- in this case, the aerostar dash was installed as a unit. He literally pulled the entire dash apart to find exactly that -- wires had been stripped bare and were intermittently shorting out. He actually replaced an entire wiring harness to take no chances of it happening again -- and it never did come back.

You should be asking for the most experienced electronics technician at that dealership -- and it may well be they don't have anyone with enough experience to troubleshoot properly. Good luck and let us know what happens.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
desgnconcpts
You have a valid point.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
sassy said:
I have had my car in the shop 4 times now because of this problem. I will be driving along, my car will lurch. All the controls (speed, fuel etc) will shut off and the stabilitrak/traction control msg will come on. The transmission does some funky thing and I cant get any speed going. The 3rd time it happened they ordered a new computer for my car and put it in. Now we are on time #4 and still the same thing. If I turn the car off it will reset it, but sometimes when I go to turn it back on then it wont come on and I have to wait awhile. Anyone else with this?
I love this car but, this is getting old.
So sorry for your frustrations. I would be wild! At least your dealer is trying hard (new computer) to resolve it for you. I would demand an Enclave/Acadia/Yukon loaner, (they're within centimeters in size difference) while they resolve it!!

I know it's no consolation, but even the Space Shuttle breaks down, and they have more techs than Buick does ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
We were driving yesterday and the check stability track message came on. After 3 miles it went off by itself. What should I do in this case? Ask onstar for a diagnostic test and take the vehicle to the dealer?
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
arifan said:
We were driving yesterday and the check stability track message came on. After 3 miles it went off by itself. What should I do in this case? Ask onstar for a diagnostic test and take the vehicle to the dealer?
Thank you.

Hi! Yes, get an Onstar call in, and if no "Codes' are apparent, then give it one more try! You don't mention details, but, it can legitimately "see" certain turns with bumps or rapid acceleration on turns as a valid traction problem and activate the stabilitrac. Other things can cause it, but why scare you now? Any "Check Eng" lite coming on??

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
arifan said:
Thank you.
This happened to me once, although mine stayed on for about 10 minutes and I could hear a low pinched hum from beneath the vehicle, it went off never to come back again. I am going in for an oil change and to have them check some warranty issues (drivers side wind noise, brake pedal squeak, bad fuel gauge) and I will have them check it out. I believe the computer stores the codes so they can pull it up and see what it was...I am just praying it is not a cam issue.

·
Registered
37 Posts
More details. We were cruising on the freeway, good road condition, my SO just mentioned what a pleasure is to drive this vehicle when the message went on. There were no change in the vehicle at all, just the sound of a message on the DIC. After less than 5 min it went away. Called the ONStar and nothing is wrong in the diagnostic test. I guess I will wait and see if that happens again.
Thanks for your answers

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
arifan said:
More details. We were cruising on the freeway, good road condition, my SO just mentioned what a pleasure is to drive this vehicle when the message went on. There were no change in the vehicle at all, just the sound of a message on the DIC. After less than 5 min it went away. Called the ONStar and nothing is wrong in the diagnostic test. I guess I will wait and see if that happens again.
Thanks for your answers
OK. I think you're alright based on that. the computer could've hiccuped or something. Since you had no power decrease or fuel shut-down, it doesn't sound like a real Stabilitrac issue. keep an eye/ear out and pls keep us informed :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had many problems with my Enclave since September. I purchased it at the end of June. The first time, my traction control sensor was coming on. I called GM and they instructed me to pull over and turn my car off and let it reset. The problem went away briefly. I took it in to the dealership and they could find nothing wrong. I figured I would just keep pushing the ON Star button when the light came on to show a record of issues. Finally, on January 18, my check engine light came on. I took my Enclave in to the dealership. My car is still in the shop. GM has been of little help with my issues. They have made an offer to pay 2 of my car payments (since it's been undergoing repairs for 2 months) and at one time they told me that they would put a new engine in it. GM backed out of putting a new engine in, for reasons I do not know. I have difficulty getting answers regarding all of these issues and still have no idea when I will get my car back. On the bright side, GM provided me with a small 4 door sedan to use for hauling my 3 children (2 of which are in car seats) for the past 2 months. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
lemonenclave said:
I have had many problems with my Enclave since September. I purchased it at the end of June. The first time, my traction control sensor was coming on. I called GM and they instructed me to pull over and turn my car off and let it reset. The problem went away briefly. I took it in to the dealership and they could find nothing wrong. I figured I would just keep pushing the ON Star button when the light came on to show a record of issues. Finally, on January 18, my check engine light came on. I took my Enclave in to the dealership. My car is still in the shop. GM has been of little help with my issues. They have made an offer to pay 2 of my car payments (since it's been undergoing repairs for 2 months) and at one time they told me that they would put a new engine in it. GM backed out of putting a new engine in, for reasons I do not know. I have difficulty getting answers regarding all of these issues and still have no idea when I will get my car back. On the bright side, GM provided me with a small 4 door sedan to use for hauling my 3 children (2 of which are in car seats) for the past 2 months. :banghead:
Have you contacted your state regarding lemon laws...This would definitely apply due to the length of time it has been in the shop, no question. GM would buy it back from you or you could get a different one. Don't mess around any longer,this is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
****, lemonenclave if this is legit (no disrespect intended) then follow bsox's advice and call them tomorrow and start squeezing Lemon Juice!!

Don't know of other offers to replace whole engines but IMO, don't take it at this point.....go for a new Enclave (maybe '09 if you can wait till around June for build to start?) You should at least be in an GMC Acadia (sister to Enclave) or another Enclave, just based on features, space and protection!

The 2 months offer shows they're rightfully worried. Pls let us know :thumb:

·
Registered
758 Posts
The following is a sample of what seems to be the trend for this kind of problem: the camshaft:

I was just going to post an update on my "traction control lights" issue, when I read your recent posts!

Had traction control off/service stabilitrak lights on earlier this summer. Finally in Sept. had cam shaft actuator short fixed, to get rid of this problem. That is what GM told the mechanics was the actual problem, nothing to do with stabilitrak or traction control. They claim this message is a default.

After many days of them with my car and adjusting the timing back again, it seemed to be fixed for over a month.....until today. Light came on again for about two minutes. Called OnStar immediately for codes and the light went off. No luck. Will visit dealership to see if they can pull any codes off the computer. Here we go again. I don't think anything is particularly wrong, BUT, why is this STILL happening?

Anyone else with trac control warning lights recently? (the check engine light does NOT come on in my case).
You might get some information from the following threads:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=869.40
http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?action=profile;u=960;sa=showPosts;start=20
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3217.0
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2150.0

This was one solution at http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3217.20
Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment of Service Engine Soon light on or service stability message with one or more of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) stored: P0011, P0014, P0021, P0024, P0341, P0346, P0366, or P0391.

Recommendation/Instructions:
2007-2008 Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook with DTCs P0011, P0014, P0021, P0024 may be corrected by reprogramming the ECM with revised software available in TIS. For 2007-2008 Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook with DTCs P0341, P0346, P0366, P0391 and other models with DTCs P0011, P0014, P0021, P0024, P0341, P0346, P0366, and P0391, if routine diagnosis using SI does not reveal any obvious cause remove the camshaft cover and check the camshaft end play on both camshafts in that cylinder head. If the camshaft end play is over 0.016 inch (0.40 mm), the cylinder head and both camshafts should be replaced. The head assembly does not include engine oil manifold check valves, which should also be ordered. Also cylinder head gasket set does not include valve seals which will need to be ordered.

Be sure to use eSI documents for 2008 model year to set the cam timing on 2007-2008 3.6 engines.

The Procedure to measure end play is below.

CAM Shaft Endplay Measurement Procedure

Remove CAM cover from suspect head.

Two methods for measuring CAM shaft end play:

Method 1: Dial Indicator
• Setup a dial indicator on the CAM to be measured. Set the dial indicator to measure the axial movement of the CAM. To minimize measurement error, the dial indicator needs to be on the same axis as the cam shaft. A magnetic mount can be placed on the frame rail or a piece of steel plate can be bolted to the top of the head as a reference surface for the dial indicator. The dial indicator should have .1 mm (.001") of resolution

• Position a screw driver or small pry bar between the CAM cap and CAM lobe. Apply force to move the CAM rearward. Be cautious not to damage the CAM lobe while applying this force.

• Zero the dial indicator.

• Apply force to move the CAM forward (towards the CAM phasers).

• Read the dial indicator, this is the end play of the CAM shaft.

Note: Do not use the phaser bolt as a pry point. This may cause damage to the cam sensor target wheel or the head to CAM cover sealing surface.

Method 2: Caliper
The caliper should have .1 mm (.001") of resolution.

• Position a screw driver or medium pry bar between the CAM cap and CAM lobe. Be cautious not to damage the CAM lobe while applying this force.

• Apply force to move the CAM rearward.

• Measure and record the distance between the CAM cap and the CAM lobe.

• Apply force to move the CAM forward (towards the CAM phasers).

• Re-measure and record the distance between the CAM cap and CAM lobe. Subtract the two readings; this is the CAM shaft end play.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

TM

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
TM: It has been in the shop for 2 months straight. Just for me, I would not want a fix anymore, about a month ago I would have demanded a new one to replace it period. I would never trust it again.

·
Registered
758 Posts
bsox said:
TM: It has been in the shop for 2 months straight. Just for me, I would not want a fix anymore, about a month ago I would have demanded a new one to replace it period. I would never trust it again.
IF the problem is the camshaft and the caps being defective, there was a poster that said it would be better to get the thing fixed, knowing the problem was solved, than to get another new car that might still have the problem. But your point is well made.

TM

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
If my car was in the shop for 2 months straight Id be all over the lemon law and i would not buy another type of the same vehicle. the bitter taste in my mouth wouldn't ever go away to trust that make or model again. If you don't plan on getting another enclave then dont let them talk you into a buy back. A buy back and lemon law are similar but very different. In the instance of a buy back you MUST get anotehr GM vehicle, lemon law they return your money and you buy what you desire.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi,
today the message came on again when my SO pulled in the driveway. We called the onstar and they got the error message too. The car is at the dealer right now. They say it could be
a bad sensor, we will find out later. They did offer me a ride as well as rent us a car if we needed. Hopefully it is something minor and it will get fixed fast.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
26 Participants
cfedor
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing