EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
there are many reasons why that light could come one...
You may have to have it scanned for set or pending codes....then youll have a better idea of whats going on if theres an actual code.

·
Registered
3 Posts
kidsenclave said:
Unless you are going to buy a vehicle over 10 years old, they all have computer systems that can fail. I believe almost all have some sort of stability control, and all have software that drives most the components, and computers can/will fail. No difference buying a Buick, or anything out there. All have to meet certain safety standards, so I wouldn't second guess purchasing anything these days....look at all the recalls, it's getting very strict these days.

There is a sensor near/on the air box, where the air filter is. Sometimes this can be loose. Also, other spots where sensors could be not correctly fastened. Just may need some investigating to find out what is causing it.
Thank you very much for such a speedy response. Will defitinitely be checking that out.
That being said..yesterday on the way to daughters soccer game, both Traction control/stabilitrak indicator light as well as check engine light came on. Disconnecting battery and resetting seemed to work for about 5 minutes before the indicators were on again. Shifting is not a problem, and the vehicle still drives smoothly. But those lights/bells and alarms really make me nervous and the vehicle is now parked and will not be driven until the issue is looked at.
I really do not want to be one of those Buick owners that is not satisfied with my car. This is my first Buick and I simply love it....just want to work these kinks out.
Thanks again. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Pearl_Enclave said:
Hello, I am new to this forum, however, the reason I joined was due to knowledge that has been shared here.
I am new owner to a 2008 Buick Enclave CXL and my issue is the stabilitrak/traction control indicator light.
We purchased our Buick in late December 2013 and it has been a wonderful car to own and drive. We had some trani issues at first, or so we thought...turns out it was a bad wiring issue and was easily fixed.
My concern now is why my stabilitrak/traction control light keeps coming on and stay on for about a minute and then goes off. It worries me because this is the vehicle I transport my daughter in. I am a soccer parent asell as a full time employee.
My reason for buying this vehicle was for the safety of my daughter.
Is this a common issue for this make and model? Should I be concerned? What are the general reasons for something such as this to occur.
I love my Buick. However I'm wondering if a lot of the issues I have read on here are in my future.
From reading previous info. here, I trust there are some very knowledgeable members that can assist me in figuring this Buick thing out.
Hey there,

We're sorry to hear of the Stabilitrak/Traction Control lights coming on in your vehicle. We can assure that you and your family's safety is very important to us. We will like to look into this concern for you and contact your dealership on your behalf for further assistance. Feel free to send us a private message with your VIN, current mileage, dealership name, and full contact information if our help is needed. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kristen A. (Assisting)
Buick Customer Care

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Pearl_Enclave said:
Thank you very much for such a speedy response. Will defitinitely be checking that out.
That being said..yesterday on the way to daughters soccer game, both Traction control/stabilitrak indicator light as well as check engine light came on. Disconnecting battery and resetting seemed to work for about 5 minutes before the indicators were on again. Shifting is not a problem, and the vehicle still drives smoothly. But those lights/bells and alarms really make me nervous and the vehicle is now parked and will not be driven until the issue is looked at.
I really do not want to be one of those Buick owners that is not satisfied with my car. This is my first Buick and I simply love it....just want to work these kinks out.
Thanks again. :thumb:
you will have to scan for codes... (Check engine light?)
MANY things can cause the stabilitrack indicator to come on

·
Registered
3 Posts
Buick Customer Service said:
Hey there,

We're sorry to hear of the Stabilitrak/Traction Control lights coming on in your vehicle. We can assure that you and your family's safety is very important to us. We will like to look into this concern for you and contact your dealership on your behalf for further assistance. Feel free to send us a private message with your VIN, current mileage, dealership name, and full contact information if our help is needed. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kristen A. (Assisting)
Buick Customer Care
The vehicle is now in the shop at a local Buick dealership. Teague Chevrolet/Buick.
I was contacted last night by the head of the service department who assured my husband and I that it was nothing serious and merely a computer malfunction and also that they noticed it needed and oil change. Cost for the diagnostic $78, cost for repairing the computer $78, cost for oil change $39 and it will be ready for pick up in 24 hours.
Well it has now been 29+ hours and it's not ready for pick up yet.
Spoke to the head of the service department on the phone just awhile ago and now I am being told that there was nothing they could do for the computer system (????) and it will not be ready for pick up for another 2+ hours. They cannot guarantee that the indicator lights will not come on again, however if they do to just bring it back in and they will do there best to repair the vehicle. (Again ????)
It's there for diagnostic and repairs now and I am sure they will charge me for even the things they couldn't do and now their "guarantees service" is not guaranteed.
I'm confused about this whole process.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This might be the straw that broke my 2008 Buick Enclave's back. Some major repair background first: Transmission #1 went out at 55,000 miles. Now at 130,000 miles transmission #2 has been diagnosed as failing and needing a repair. There is a shudder on light to moderate acceleration between 2nd and 3rd. I did not proceed with the repair to give me an opportunity to research and think it over. Now, the very next day the Service Stabilitrak / Service Traction Control messages popped up along with the ABS light coming on. When it works, it's a comfortable car that my wife loves. However this, on top of a second new transmission is really putting a bad taste in my mouth (moreso after reviewing message boards and forums), not to mention a dent in my wallet. There have been smaller repairs along the way outside of normal wear items, but these are to be expected over 130,000 miles. A third transmission is not. Is the Stabilitrak/TCS going to add another $1000 to the $3000 transmission or should the transmission fix the issue?

Thank you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Chuck241 - discouraging to see a second transmission failure on the same transmission. This is probably not the right topic for this Stabilitrak discussion, however it might be interesting to have folks with higher mileage 2008 and beyond post if they have had more than one transmission failure on their vehicle. Post should include model year and mileage with the failures.
I have had the usual 2008 3-5-R wave plate failure at 65k miles, and I am hopeful that I will not see another one. I have 98k miles on the vehicle now, and plan on keeping it for the long term. I once found an article that said that the Joint Ford/GM design of this 6 sped transmission had a design goal of 200k miles on the transmission - let's hope so!!!!!!

The transmission really is a mechanical marvel! Link below details the history of this transmission. They of course mention the poorly stress relieved wave plates that we have seen. The sad part is that they list all of the wave plates with newer parts including 4 wave parts parts, and not just the one most prevalent - the 3-5 Rev part. Uh Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link to transmission article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM-Ford_6-speed_automatic_transmission

·
Registered
2 Posts
ENCLAVEDUDE said:
Chuck241 - discouraging to see a second transmission failure on the same transmission. This is probably not the right topic for this Stabilitrak discussion, however it might be interesting to have folks with higher mileage 2008 and beyond post if they have had more than one transmission failure on their vehicle. Post should include model year and mileage with the failures.
I have had the usual 2008 3-5-R wave plate failure at 65k miles, and I am hopeful that I will not see another one. I have 98k miles on the vehicle now, and plan on keeping it for the long term. I once found an article that said that the Joint Ford/GM design of this 6 sped transmission had a design goal of 200k miles on the transmission - let's hope so!!!!!!

The transmission really is a mechanical marvel! Link below details the history of this transmission. They of course mention the poorly stress relieved wave plates that we have seen. The sad part is that they list all of the wave plates with newer parts including 4 wave parts parts, and not just the one most prevalent - the 3-5 Rev part. Uh Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, Enclavedude. My question, and the reason I posted here is, are these issues related? Also what is the typical repair cost of the Stabilitrak repair. If it adds another $1000 onto the transmission, then that makes the decision to not make any repairs easier. My decision then is how to dispose of the vehicle to maximize the value.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Chuck,

THe Stabilitrack/TCS system- will be disabled by MANY other things.
Some sort of safeguard.

Chances are when the trans repair is done- the Stabilitrack will come back.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I do believe that the problem with the dealer diagnosis process is that most mechanics work on a flat rate basis. They get a set amount of hours/pay for a particular job, based on a book entry. The mechanics love to get as many different jobs in a day so they get paid more. Imagine getting paid 12 hours for a 8 hour day. They are not willing to take the time to properly dig into the problem because they loose out on more jobs/pay. The customers suffer. GM suffers in the end with lost sales. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
335 Posts
http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/v6-engine-discussion/53385-llt-lfx-pcv-orfice-mod-importance.html

Got the trio of messages on the way home last night, so I know the Mass air flow sensor is bad(1 week old). I got home and the water came pouring out. I did the modification, cleaned the throttle body, cleaned out the snorkel, and cleaned the MAF. I let them all sit disconnected overnight. I dried out the snorkel, dried the MAF , put it all back together and drove to work, in the high 20s. I got the Stabilitrack /Traction control messages and Check Engine light. I got to work, the MIL code was lean Bank a and B. I am going to Autozone for a new MAF. All indications were no milkshake in the snorkel but I will take it apart when I get to Autozone to swap the MAF. Keeping my fingers crossed here that this will solve all my (our) problems. Update at say 10pm.
Took the snorkel off to replace the MAF, and so far I could not find a hint of a milkshake, or moisture. So far so good, but I will not be celebrating until it passes the cold weather test. The next couple of days should tell. The PCV barb was clogged up good, I had to use a small drill bit to auger out the crud, I was able to see through it when I re installed it. BTW I just passes the 157,000 mile mark, hopefully another 157,000 to go_Online)

Re: Service traction control and stabiltrak and ck engine light

So far the modification is working. I found only one tiny drop of moisture in the snorkel, temperatures in the single digits and teens. I must have damaged the connector lock to the barb when I removed it, and it did pop off once. I got a rough idle and service stabilitrack, traction control, along with a new code, P0106. Manifold absolute pressure/BARO sensor Range/Performance. The tube was loose.
I went to the dealer and picked up a new one. The new one is insulated so I recommend replacing it when you do the Mod. $20.00..

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Enclave Stabilitrac Warning

My Wifes car will put up a warning message and ding a half dozen times every five minutes, car doesn't do anything else, no surging no change is the way it drives at all just the warning and dings. Only code in the computer is P0496 and that is an evaporative issue. Any ideas on what to check before going to the shop?

·
Registered
335 Posts
The Evap. issue is probably a bad purge valve. There are two on my 2008, one on the engine and one by the tank. Go to Rockauto to see if the 2011 has the one by the tank. The valve on the engine usually gives startup problems after filling up.
The one by the gas tank usually gives the P496 code.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hold the phone, the P496 may be caused by the one on the engine. Do yourself a favor, buy that one, it is about $25. takes 10 minutes to change , and see if that makes your code go away. then take it from there. if it doesn't.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Also when my 2008 was giving me random stabilitrack, traction control messages I drove around for months before i brought it to a mechanic because i knew that they wouldn't be able to reproduce it. So several months later it was common to have the message, I brought it to my mechanic. He spent a good part of the day diagnosing and traced it down to the Mass air flow sensor. He tried cleaning it but it needed replacing since the road test came up with the messages again. This was also the first time the air intake snorkel was opened up to reveal a milkshake inside.
In my opinion it was this milkshake which caused the sensor to go bad.
Fast forward a year , messages reappeared, I replaced the MAF sensor remembering the problem before. But the source of the problem , the milkshake was not cured. I went through a couple months of He** till I found out about the PCV problem causing the milkshake and the cure for it.
Hopefully your issue is only the purge valve. But do open the air intake and clean your throttle body and let us know if you have a milkshake in there.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
cfedor
Enclave GOD!

Garage
So, if I have service stabilitrak, traction control off, P0355 & P0356 cam positions A & B and a knock sensor issue.... I may not actually need a whole new engine? If I were to clean the catch can milkshake, replace the MAF, That it might be ok? Maybe I should do all that and take it to my local engine shop and see if the would replace the cam shaft seal, cams, reset them properly and timing chain. Then it might be WAY better than it is now.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
So, after having the timing chain, pulleys, guides all replaced. Driven it over 2,500 miles, P0355 cam sensor circuit A is popping up. Car goes into limp mode, zero RPM's registering, service stabilitrak, traction control off, and check engine light. Hardly any power what so ever. I am at mywaits end with this Enclave. Do I spend the 10.00 for 4 new cam sensors and the headache of changing them, or just sell it as is and move on?

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
26 Participants
cfedor
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing