EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
I have not seen a video-

But I believe Ive read- that it requires the removal of the front Catalytic converter.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
this is listed for a 2007---
but im sure its the same or similar

Starter Replacement
Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .
2. Remove the left catalytic convertor. Refer to Catalytic Converter Replacement - Left Side .
3. Remove the starter heat shield bolt and shield.

1. Remove the starter solenoid BAT terminal nut (3).
2. Remove the battery positive junction block cable terminal (2) from the starter.

1. Disconnect the engine wiring harness electrical connector (1) from the starter.

1. Remove the starter bolts and starter.

Installation Procedure

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice .
1. Install the starter and bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

1. Connect the engine wiring harness electrical connector (1) to the starter.

1. Install the battery positive junction block cable terminal (2) to the starter.
2. Install the starter solenoid BAT terminal nut (3).

Tighten
Tighten the nut to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

1. Install the starter heat shield and bolt.
Tighten
Tighten the bolt to 7 N·m (62 lb in).
2. Install the left catalytic convertor. Refer to Catalytic Converter Replacement - Left Side .
3. Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rbarrios said:
this is listed for a 2007---
but im sure its the same or similar

Starter Replacement
Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .
2. Remove the left catalytic convertor. Refer to Catalytic Converter Replacement - Left Side .
3. Remove the starter heat shield bolt and shield.

1. Remove the starter solenoid BAT terminal nut (3).
2. Remove the battery positive junction block cable terminal (2) from the starter.

1. Disconnect the engine wiring harness electrical connector (1) from the starter.

1. Remove the starter bolts and starter.

Installation Procedure

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice .
1. Install the starter and bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

1. Connect the engine wiring harness electrical connector (1) to the starter.

1. Install the battery positive junction block cable terminal (2) to the starter.
2. Install the starter solenoid BAT terminal nut (3).

Tighten
Tighten the nut to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

1. Install the starter heat shield and bolt.
Tighten
Tighten the bolt to 7 N·m (62 lb in).
2. Install the left catalytic convertor. Refer to Catalytic Converter Replacement - Left Side .
3. Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .
Thank You

·
Registered
38 Posts
Starter Replacement. Tried starting Buick and it wouldn’t turn over. It cranked but wouldn’t start. Battery replaced one year ago and headlights were strong as I tried to start it. Called AAA and they came out and tried jumping the car. It wouldn’t turn over. They tried jumping at the hood and after a few tried, had a burning smell. Towed it to a shop. They investigated it and said it was the starter and the wires were burnt from AAA trying to jump it. They replaced the starter and wires for OUCH $750. They said they had to remove the engine mount to get to the starter. Sound right?

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
I vaguely remember that the cat has to come off.
Though I dont know if both cat and mount have to come off.
Having done the front motor mount before... Id rather do the mount than undoing all the rusted bolts for the exhaust
If I were given an option.
Though $750 sounds nice .. labor+parts.
Few weeks ago I was quoted $1200 by local dealer to change the water pump on our 2013 3.6 v6 Equinox. I did it for $114.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You don’t need to take the cat off.
just take the motor mount bolts off. Move it to the side and tie it up. You can’t get the mount to fall through. There is one bolt you can’t see out of the 4 so feel around.
that gives you enough access to get starter bolts. In my opinion easier than dealing with rusty exhaust bolts.
I had an enclave do it had that annoying rubber air bag looking thing to. Just tie them to the side. There’s a video on YouTube on that way to.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I took out my started to have it tested. Only the catalytic converter needs to be removed (you will need a new seal) and you need to take out the heat shield from the exhaust manifold in front. No need to take out the engine mount. It's tight, but can be done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts