EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2009 enclave 50k miles jus got in it and when at parking lot speeds 10mph or lower the steering wheel is hard to turn and for my wife almost impossible. When at highway speeds everything feels normal. Belts look good, fluid looks good, pump is not whining or making any noise. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I think that XRDreamliner has nailed the diagnosis. Good luck getting this resolved quickly and effectively.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello everyone I myself have a 2008 buick enclave with the same problem it does the same as the first post states. i read the response and i have beign told that that sensor could be the problem i just wanted to make double sure. thanks for the info...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Jeepin770 said:
I have 2009 enclave 50k miles jus got in it and when at parking lot speeds 10mph or lower the steering wheel is hard to turn and for my wife almost impossible. When at highway speeds everything feels normal. Belts look good, fluid looks good, pump is not whining or making any noise. Anyone have any ideas?

Jeepin770,
I would suggest that you have your dealer look into this for you. They are in the best position to get this issue diagnosed for you. Please keep me posted on this issue. If you have any other questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy Buick Customer Service

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well new rack and pinion, new steering gear which I didn't think the enclave had, new power steering pump ..... Still no fix. Have they hacked the variable drive solenoid I bet not ... I've told them many times what the problem was. If it wasn't under warranty I would have fixed myself

·
Registered
363 Posts
Jeepin770 said:
Well new rack and pinion, new steering gear which I didn't think the enclave had, new power steering pump ..... Still no fix. Have they hacked the variable drive solenoid I bet not ... I've told them many times what the problem was. If it wasn't under warranty I would have fixed myself.
Well, in GM speak, what they call the "steering gear" IS the "rack & pinion" assembly.

Oh, and when you get a new "steering gear", it includes the "steering actuator" (solenoid), as referred to.

Therefore, with the solenoid now essentially new, the focus should be on the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM). It should normally cause a Fault Code if it is mis-behaving, but in light of everything else which has been changed to address the problem, it would seem this is the last plausible cause of the hard steering.

If it's not a bad EBCM, the dealership should ring out the wiring for the EBCM and the solenoid, to make sure the connections aren't shorted or open.

:cheers:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm not sure how long I put up with it but I finally got fed up and took my vehicle to the dealer. they called a few hours later to inform me that they found metal shavings in the power steering pump and that the vehicle needed a new power steering pump and "steering gear". $1804.00

80,000 miles at the time of the repair.

the vehicle works great now.

·
Registered
363 Posts
izzycohen said:
I'm not sure how long I put up with it but I finally got fed up and took my vehicle to the dealer. they called a few hours later to inform me that they found metal shavings in the power steering pump and that the vehicle needed a new power steering pump and "steering gear". $1804.00

the vehicle works great now.
I assume you are over 50k miles? I would contact Customer Service and ask for a goodwill adjustment. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

it won't make anything better, but the dealer should have replaced the fluid with Dexron VI (vs. the GM PS fluid), which is a better performing fluid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having the same issue. My 2010 is under warranty and I have had in now 3 times for Steering issues. They started out as the rubbing squeal noise which they fixed after 2 attempts but now the power steering seems to go out at at low speeds and tight turns and started after the 2nd repair. This is a safety issue and the dealer refuses to do anything because they can not see any codes or reproduce the issue. The service advisor says he is aware of the problems reported on the boards but the Service Manager refuses to do anything.

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
btle310 said:
I am having the same issue. My 2010 is under warranty and I have had in now 3 times for Steering issues. They started out as the rubbing squeal noise which they fixed after 2 attempts but now the power steering seems to go out at at low speeds and tight turns and started after the 2nd repair. This is a safety issue and the dealer refuses to do anything because they can not see any codes or reproduce the issue. The service advisor says he is aware of the problems reported on the boards but the Service Manager refuses to do anything.

Any suggestions?
To be blunt; find another dealer. If that fails, send a PM to Stacy on this forum at Buick Customer Service to explain your problem and to ask for official GM assistance. Good luck resolving this issue.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
btle310 said:

Any suggestions?
btle310,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you have experienced with your Enclave. I would like to look into further for you. Can you please send me a PM with your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealer? I look forward to hearing back from you as well as assisting you with your concerns.
Thank you,
Stacy Buick Customer Service

·
Registered
1 Posts
This same behavior has been happening to me too for the past few months, about 7000 miles after the warranty ended, of course! I took it to the dealer this week and they isolated it down to the steering pump and gear that controls the power steering....$2000 to fix!! I did a quick search on the NHTSA.gov website and there are several other complaints. I hope this is investigated and dealt with proactively by GM. Other than this, I am quite satisfied with my purchase.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. I am glad to read that your Enclave experience has been minimally eventful. :thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got my 09 Enclave back from the dealership with a new "steering gear" and pump. Of course it was just out of warranty so it cost me $2000 parts and labour and another $100 for alignment.
It had the same symptoms you described.
I have been reading a LOT about this problem and GM is saying nothing. This has got to be acknowledged and put right.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
If your car was just out of warranty, I am surprised that the dealer didn't get GM to provide a good will warranty extension.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had this happen intermittently at low speeds, e.g. parking or slowing down for a turn.

We had the Enclave in for steering issues before (noise) and they replaced parts (rack & pinion), but the dealer claimed they could never diagnose the loss of steering assist / power steering.

Now that it's out of warranty, they suddenly can: $800+ to replace the power steering pump.

Really GM? On a 4 year old vehicle with less than 60,000 miles?

I reported the issue to the NTHSB, given that we don't seem to be the only ones and that I consider it a safety issue, this might turn into a recall.

My last Buick, I swear!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Matt V. said:
Had this happen intermittently at low speeds, e.g. parking or slowing down for a turn.

We had the Enclave in for steering issues before (noise) and they replaced parts (rack & pinion), but the dealer claimed they could never diagnose the loss of steering assist / power steering.

Now that it's out of warranty, they suddenly can: $800+ to replace the power steering pump.

Really GM? On a 4 year old vehicle with less than 60,000 miles?

I reported the issue to the NTHSB, given that we don't seem to be the only ones and that I consider it a safety issue, this might turn into a recall.

My last Buick, I swear!
Hello,

I am sorry to learn that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. I cannot guarantee anything but I would like to look into this for you. Private message including a brief overview for your concern, contact information, VIN, exact mileage, and preferred dealership.

Regards,

Jennifer T.
Buick Customer Care

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am very frustrated with this. My 2009 Buick Enclave has the same intermittent loss of power steering at low speeds. I contacted Buick Customer Service through this site and they seemed interested in helping. They set up an appointment at my local dealer who gave the same response... need to replace steering gear, power steering pump and have an alignment. $2000 for the replacement and another $119 for the alignment.

They then sent my case to the "local" representative from GM. After leading me on to think they were going to help out in some way, their final response was "sorry, can't help." They stated because I am not the original owner and the vehicle is out of warranty.

This is a safety issue, GM!!!! I explained to them that I was recently pulling out from a gas station and the power steering gave out and it was very hard to maintain the turn without going into oncoming traffic in the farther lane. What if this was my daughter driving? What if she ended up going into the other lane and got hit head on and was killed? Is this really what it is going to take for GM to do the right thing... an innocent person somewhere having to pay the ultimate price.

And, further, GM is FULLY AWARE of this. My local dealer even told me that GM changed the power steering pump after the 2009 model year because of problems where it doesn't pump the fluid through well enough. Now this is all over my head, but he said the pump originally installed is a 7-vane, but that GM has changed to a 12-vane after that, and any replacement in the 2009 would need upgraded to the 12-vane.

This was my first Buick. While I like it otherwise, if this is how they are going to treat customers, I don't know if I want to continue being part of the "Buick family". When I bought this, I was certain that I would continue to buy Buicks in the future, but now not so sure.

Not even PARTIAL assistance on a safety issue. I guess I may have to also complain to the NHTSA. Local television station also seems to like to investigate similar issues and try to get a response. Maybe if Buick still won't respond, I could ask them to try to get some answers on why no recall or assistance granted for a known safety issue.

Sorry for rambling. Just very frustrated. Don't really want to spend over $2000 because GM won't do the right thing.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts