EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. Lost my other login so I made a new one. We have a 2010 Buick Enclave with 50k on it. I am writing to ask about the steering issue that many Enclaves (and othe GM’s) seem to have. Luckily we haven’t had it yet, amongst the other repairs it needs. But I am wondering how permanent is the repair usually? I ask because we live outside of Durango, Colorado. Our house is about 8,000ft. And driving on mountain passes is a daily thing. We CANNOT have a vehicle that can have the power steering just stop working without warning. Google Red Mountain Pass and you can see why. Heck the road to my wife’s work has a 90* curve at the top with about a 500ft drop and no guard rail. I just found out about the steering issue, and if the repair is relatively permanent, then no problem, I will make the repair proactively and call it good. I have to do the timing chain anyway. If not, then I am selling this thing. I think it’s just too dangerous. I don’t want to be driving to Ouray (Red Mountain Pass) and have to be worrying about the steering going around guardrail-less hair pin on 1500’ cliffs.

So what’s the word on this repair. Does it usually take care of the problem, or is it one of those reoccurring repairs that pop up?

Thanks for the time, and any info. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi all. Lost my other login so I made a new one. We have a 2010 Buick Enclave with 50k on it. I am writing to ask about the steering issue that many Enclaves (and othe GM’s) seem to have. Luckily we haven’t had it yet, amongst the other repairs it needs. But I am wondering how permanent is the repair usually? I ask because we live outside of Durango, Colorado. Our house is about 8,000ft. And driving on mountain passes is a daily thing. We CANNOT have a vehicle that can have the power steering just stop working without warning. Google Red Mountain Pass and you can see why. Heck the road to my wife’s work has a 90* curve at the top with about a 500ft drop and no guard rail. I just found out about the steering issue, and if the repair is relatively permanent, then no problem, I will make the repair proactively and call it good. I have to do the timing chain anyway. If not, then I am selling this thing. I think it’s just too dangerous. I don’t want to be driving to Ouray (Red Mountain Pass) and have to be worrying about the steering going around guardrail-less hair pin on 1500’ cliffs.

So what’s the word on this repair. Does it usually take care of the problem, or is it one of those reoccurring repairs that pop up?

Thanks for the time, and any info. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
ouch- 50,000 miles and timing chain and PS pump.
Im wondering if the rack and pinion could be an issue here too...

But if the chains are going to be done--- they will most likely drop the engine/cradle.
It would be a perfect time to simply replace that rack and pinion and Pump while they have good access to them.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
video of what most shops would do.
the rack is right there-- so it would make sense to replace it too.
im sure your rack has the elongated bushings. they tend to age- and get hard.
think of a donut. over time- the donut hole gets stretched to an oval- allows some movement of the rack.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool info guys. I would be doing the work myself though. Just the timing chain would be $2800 here. I can do it, including the upgrades, for $400. I was going to do the chain in the vehicle, but if I need to pull the engine, no problem.

My question is, once the rack is replaced does the repair stick? Or is the repair temporary? I have seen some people say they are on their third steering repair, but they didn’t do the work themselves, so they don’t mention the parts replaced etc.

Right now the steering is fine, but if it’s a faulty part and the replacements are redesigned to not fail again, I was just going to proactively replace it. One fix and it’s good, then I will repair it. If it will just randomly go out again later because the part was not updated, that is an issue. We live “in the mountains”, steering going out here is not a good look when you have 200-1500 foot drops on a road with no shoulders or guardrails.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine had a replacement of rack and pinion in 2013 at 45K miles. Now it has around 128K and the steering problem does not reappear yet.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
it is odd how some are on their 2nd or 3rd rack....

my 2010- still on the factory rack... 163,072.
I would replace with a name brand. either GM/ACDELCO and enjoy the drive.
They must have upgraded parts by now (that correct known failure points)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems like a mixed bag. Anyone else here have the steering issue pop up more than once? Just once? Or not at all? Thanks.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have to admit ignorance. I've only owned GM myself (anything other came from my wife before marriage). What steering issue?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am on my 4th Enclave and have not heard of any steering issues. The timing chain issue does seem to crop up often, however. BTW I did Google Red Mountain Pass and it is really beautiful but does look dicey in the winter. Enjoy but be careful!

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
he may be referring to the PS pump. or the zip tie sound?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts